Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee discussion

can you read it?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Serewyn (new) - added it

Serewyn I can not read this book because I simply can not bare it and it brings out the worst in me, someone who I do not want to be (this story and it's pain is in my heart though, with or without book) but I want to support it so it is on my list now.
Are there more people who are afraid to read it?

Shawn The only books I'm afraid to read are serial killer, torture type things. I do not choose to expose myself and psyche to depravity for the sake of it only. This book did make me incredibly sad, angry and upset. I have not re-read it in many years because it's so depressing. Zinn's "Voices of the People's History of the US" is also alarming and changes your perspective on things. Pisses me off every year that my kid's have Columbus Day off. He committed genocide for crying out loud. I have also read many historical fictions lately that show how barbaric some of the natives were to each other way before the white man. So you do have to expose yourself to all sides of the story and make what you can of it for yourself. Ultimately, the past is gone. There is only NOW.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike I really liked this book being a Historian and I felt I learned a lot. I also agree it was a difficult and disturbing read.

Schawn schoepke Though heart breaking sad and full of the worst kind of real world injustice its a good read that if anything teaches us what not to be..... I truly believe it should be part of our national historic curriculum, how can we learn from mistakes that many of us are unaware of. That part of history deserves more than a mention of a massacre at wounded knee when so much more is there to our history....

Michael When you have a documentary book there are usually many points of controversy. Such controversy is absurdly minor in Bury My Heart. This is a book by all reasonable measures, historically accurate and for anyone of compassion, heart breaking.

Patricia I totally agree with message 4 by Schawn...we need to read books like this to learn from mistakes that many of us are unaware of!

Julie West I agree too, that this should be part of a history curriculum for all students. It gives insight into the struggle and confusion many Native Americans still live with today. The history of America is not complete without it, like the German history would be amiss without the Holocaust genicide that so many are trying to say never happened. It happened, it's history, and it shaped or changed our world forever.

Pauline I'm up to chapter 16, "The Utes Must Go" I find this chapter especially difficult to get through. The sense of shame, disgust, anger has hit me the hardest at this point, 'Nathan C. Meeker in his mission to "elevate and enlighten the Utes" to make them over to his puritan image' and the methods he used to achieve this. Heart breaking.

John Farebrother I found it a difficult read too. It wasn't just the remorseless policy of the government against men, women and children with a different way of life (and a different colour skin), it was the sheer pitiless, monotonous repetition, as the same story was repeated over and over again, from one chapter of the book to the next, from one part of the US to another. In 1945 the world was told "never again"; but no-one likes to talk about when it happened before.