To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird question

Do you think a great book changes us?
Sandy Semerad Sandy Feb 24, 2016 04:07AM
I'm blogging about Harper Lee and To Kill a Mockingbird and how a great book changes us. Please stop by and leave a comment here: http://bwlauthors.blogspot.com/2016/0...

I think most of the time a good book is defined by how it effects us and changes how we look upon the world.
It's why everyone has different genres, because we all perceive the world differently. It builds and fortifies views, character and realisation of life choices.
That's why personally I find reading a massive crucial part to growing up, and beyond.

Richard Bentley I think a great book changes us, and even a good book can, but the change seems to be very subtle, at least in my case. I find myself thinking "I'm ch ...more
Apr 25, 2016 08:30PM · flag

I can't even list the books that have opened my mind to new world views - too many to list.

Thank you, Wang and Nicholas for commenting!

MF (last edited Mar 13, 2016 01:52AM ) Mar 13, 2016 01:49AM   0 votes
Actually any book changes you, it doesn't have to be great. Greatness is over-rated anyway, isn't it? For a start, your brain gets re-wired after you read a book, akin to having lived through a real life experience. "To Kill a Mocking Bird" only really warms up a third the way through, as least that was how I felt about it, partially because it needed to spend time establishing the social scene. But the plot twists towards the end are great, no question. To be a truly great book, it ought to have changed the America it held a mirror up to. Despite generations of children reading the book, racism is still as prevalent as ever. It didn't change things because its two faults are that it is ambiguous at times -in a way that Uncle Tom's Cabin a hundred or so years before wasn't, if you read it in its totality- and it is naiive at its core: its central character is a child with an adult's vocabulary and the author believes that a different education system will make adults out of a childish society. It doesn't take seriously the question of real evil and malice, ie that people who do know better carry animosity for a variety of reasons, that can't be reduced to just poor schooling.

I absolutely agree that a good book changes us. I can name innumerable number of books that have changed the way I see the world.

Thanks for commenting and offering your opinion, Mel! I'm glad my blog post stirred your interest!

it depends, you can be someone who sees nothing and reads a book then sees joy or something like that, but then i could be wrong.

I agree that a good book changes us. It changes our mind and the way we see everthing.

The earlier you read a book the more likely it is to shape your worldview. I read Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy" when I was in elementary school and I still see ultimately see humanity as a whole as subject to laws of behavior like economics and demographics with free will as a very limited factor.

Mysteryissolved I agree entirely with this statement. Currently in school myself, I find that the variety of literature and varied cultural and life perspectives is s ...more
Apr 27, 2016 12:49AM · flag

have just started reading it.. will see how does it affect.