Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Tangents/Off-Topic Discussions > Star Wars: only one female?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul | 49 comments The list of actors came out today, but only one woman is listed. How do you feel about that? Are we going to have to watch another movie about a princess who needs rescuing? Isn't it time for a woman to climb into the pilot seat and blow up some bad guys?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul | 49 comments oh... didn't see Bonnie's article on cnet. Mea Culpa!

message 3: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
They just said there would be one more...but unless it's a MAIN POV character it's kind of not the point, you know? Like the women in the Star Trek movies :/

message 4: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments I would like to point out quality over quantity. Would you rather have 1 Princess Leia:

Or 3 of these:

I know which I would choose.

Many people praise George Lucas for bringing us Jedi and X-Wings and Yoda. His greatest contribution, in my humble opinion, was defining beauty as strength, independence and "someone get this walking carpet out of my way."

Yeah, I know, he stuck her in a metal bikini at the end, but she strangled Jabba the Hut while wearing it.

She led. The dudes followed.

message 5: by Jes (new)

Jes (tiaama) | 110 comments Bonnie's article http://www.cnet.com/news/new-star-war...
I think a lot of fans, both male and female are disappointed. My husband has been talking about this movie and what it could do for months. He doesn't seem so excited now with the limited cast choice. Had been hoping for more. I personally don't know a lot about the expanded universe. But I know enough to know there are some awesome female characters out there. In the end, someone is almost always making the choice to cut out female characters before male... in all movie genre's.

message 6: by Gary (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:04PM) (new)

Gary Maybe she's playing a clone and will do a whole Orphan Black (Trooper Black?) tour de force kind of thing.