What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Dirigibles Si-Fi Steampunk?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GlassReader (new)

GlassReader | 2 comments This book I got to read maybe the flaps and just the first couple pages 30+ years ago so a hard find I would think so here goes...

This book would have been a large stack of dead trees 350pages plus I think it was oversize (larger than a standard size novel in height and width as well as being thick. Written pre-1985ish.

The cover had dirigibles on it and though I can't recall I feel other steampunk type wonderment on the cover.

The story begins on an island(?) where the men have just come home from somewhere. The men all live on the dirigibles (and maybe other water naval ships) once they reach puberty and the women live on land with the young kids and old folks.

The only "line" half remembered is the opening scene where a young man is nodding and smiling at a much younger girl, much younger than who he appears to be and far younger than the self he keeps hidden. As she explains how old the city (the world?) is to him his internal dialogue is along the lines of if only you knew the cities that this city was built upon, how long things had really been this way was far, far longer than anyone knew; or for that matter longer than anyone could even begin to dream of.

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 177 comments Sounds like this may have been a Michael Moorcock novel.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Author Michael Moorcock for Phil's suggestion.

message 4: by GlassReader (new)

GlassReader | 2 comments I looked through the Michael Moorcock books and nothing there rings a bell. Though a few sound good :-)

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 14 comments Airborn by Kenneth Oppel?

Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1) by Kenneth Oppel

message 6: by Ayshe (last edited Jun 04, 2018 06:30AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4226 comments Rebecca wrote: "Airborn by Kenneth Oppel?"
It looks to have been first published 2004, while GlassReader's book should be pre-1985ish.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39249 comments Mod
GlassReader, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Liao | 42 comments I know it's not pre-1985 but have you ruled out the Edge Chronicles?

Your description of the cover reminded me of the banner art at the bottom of the homepage

https://edgechronicles.co.uk/

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 36 comments Maybe "Homunculus" by James P. Blaylock? It was published in 1986

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Airborn (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Moorcock (other topics)