You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
65 views
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > March 2016 - Book Voting

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Feb 24, 2016 02:11AM) (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments We had 13 book nominations for next month, and 7 of those had people second them. So the fruit machine was very busy whittling all those great nominations down to just 5 books for the poll. The poll is now up so head on over to https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... to vote for which book you'd like to read for the March group read.

It's a short month this month so voting closes 28th February.


message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments Argh, I can't decide between Church of Marvels and The Story of Beautiful Girl.


message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments So many good books! I'm not voting this month since I plan to read The Lake House. I'll join one of the winners discussion if I have enough time.


message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14184 comments I'm glad My Name is Lucy Barton made it in the poll. I hope it wins, but plan to read it either way.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Peggy wrote: "Argh, I can't decide between Church of Marvels and The Story of Beautiful Girl."

Ha! It is difficult to decide. I also have My Name is Lucy Barton and Church of Marvels on my tbr.


message 6: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments I passed on the vote too, since I will be reading The Lake House with Sandra.


message 7: by Naomi (last edited Feb 26, 2016 08:45AM) (new)

Naomi (nchigh) | 543 comments I would like to point out that The Girl in the Photograph The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan is the title it was published under in the UK. I can only find it in my library and on Amazon US titled as Fiercombe Manor by Kate Riordan Fiercombe Manor.


message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Yes the ol' double title can be quite confusing. I am always fascinated by why they do it. Goodreads posted an article on facebook about the popularity of books wuth girl in the title. There seems to be a lot about.


message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Well, I checked my shelves because I'm curious, and I have 27 books with the word "girl" in the title.


message 10: by Cherie (last edited Feb 26, 2016 07:13PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments I checked my shelves and I had 46 titles with "girl". 29 are TBR still.

Sandra, when I saw this one Strawberry Girl, I thought of you. You might be able to get it from your library.


message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I actually don't have that many books on my TBR that have 'girl' in the title. There are only 6 on there currently. I haven't checked my wishlist yet though...


message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have 9 on my wishlist and read shelves so that makes 15 in total. Not as many as I thought tbh.


message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Cherie wrote: "Sandra, when I saw this one Strawberry Girl, I thought of you. You might be able to get it from your library."

Thank you, Cherie. It looks cute! Added. I checked and my local library has a few copies.


message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Lisa wrote: "I have 9 on my wishlist and read shelves so that makes 15 in total. Not as many as I thought tbh."

Perfect excuse to add some more, Lisa. ;)


message 15: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Sarah wrote: "Goodreads posted an article on facebook about the popularity of books wuth girl in the title. There seems ..."

I've noticed that too! Maybe we can have a month read "girl in the title" :)

I have a little less than 20, and half of them are read.


message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sandra wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I have 9 on my wishlist and read shelves so that makes 15 in total. Not as many as I thought tbh."

Perfect excuse to add some more, Lisa. ;)"


Don't tempt me, Sandra ;)


message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14184 comments Kirila wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Goodreads posted an article on facebook about the popularity of books wuth girl in the title. There seems ..."

I've noticed that too! Maybe we can have a month read "girl in the titl..."


You can recommend it for our monthly theme. :)


message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Lisa wrote: "Don't tempt me, Sandra ;)"

Well... Girl at War sounds really good.. Just saying... :D


message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14184 comments I have 16 books with Girl in the title on my TBR, 2 more as "maybe read," and 8 that I've already read.


message 20: by Lisa (last edited Feb 27, 2016 08:10AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sandra wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Don't tempt me, Sandra ;)"

Well... Girl at War sounds really good.. Just saying... :D"


It does... And I have just added it to my wishlist! YLTO members are such a bad influence! ;)


message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Lisa wrote: "YLTO members are such a bad influence! :D "

lol, I'm stopping now. Promise!


message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments I was curious and looked it up too. 22 in total of which I read 7.

I love the idea of girl in the title as a group read theme! :)


message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49965 comments I've got 36 girls listed in my-books, a mix of read, to read, and wishlist.


message 24: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments I have 34, with 12 of them read

I think it definitely should be a theme :)


message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I have 27, 7 have been read!


message 26: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Kristie wrote: "Kirila wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Goodreads posted an article on facebook about the popularity of books wuth girl in the title. There seems ..."

I've noticed that too! Maybe we can have a month read "g..."


Great idea for a month theme ~ I have 28 books in total but have only read 9 of them. Lol, think of how much our tbr lists could grow ;-)


message 27: by Kerri (new)

Kerri I have 36, of that I've read 15. It does seem to be very popular to have girl in the title at the moment.


message 28: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Cathie wrote: "Great idea for a month theme ~ I have 28 books in total but have only read 9 of them. Lol, think of how much our tbr lists could grow ;-) "

I can absolutely envision this, Cathie! All of us reading ONE book but doubling the number of girls-in-the title in ours TBR.

"Daughter" is another common word in titles. I have 17


message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14184 comments I have 7 "daughter" titles on my tbr.


message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments And 18 "wife". All women. :)


message 31: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Sandra wrote:..."Daughter" is another common word in titles. I have 17 "

And 18 "wife".


This is interesting. I have 12 books on my TBR with "daughter" in the title or subtitle (I've only read 1 of them) and 11 with the word "wife" (again only 1 read). I never even noticed before how often these words are in titles.


message 32: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Look what you guys have started.... once I started I couldn't stop. From my shelves:
Daughter 18, Son 2
Mother 7, Father 3
Sister 16, Brother 1
Wife 7, Husband 2
Clearly women are more interesting to write about than men!


message 33: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Interesting, Kerri.

I know I have many landscape words in my titles too, like mountain, river, sea, etc. I'll check when I'm in my computer, since it's easier.


message 34: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Kerri wrote: "Look what you guys have started.... once I started I couldn't stop. From my shelves:
Daughter 18, Son 2
Mother 7, Father 3
Sister 16, Brother 1
Wife 7, Husband 2
Clearly women are more interesting ..."


Lol Kerri!


message 35: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments 122 girls (although some of these might have the word in the series name, not necessarily in the book title), 40 boys, 26 wifes, 27 daughters, 6 husbands, 15 sisters, 10 brothers


message 36: by Joan (new)

Joan Maya Angelou narrates the audio book of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
She is an awesome narrator on Hallelujah! The Welcome Table: A Lifetime of Memories with Recipes


message 37: by Caecilia (new)

Caecilia Saori Kristie :-) if fine with you, I will open a thread in the Buddy Reads section for "My Name Is Lucy Barton" ...


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.