You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Serious Books vs. Light Books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caecilia (new)

Caecilia Saori I am wondering if other readers also try to get a healthy mix between serious books and light reads.

After "A Little Life", I totally ... needed something more uplifting and positive. The "Missoula" book came in handy, as it deals with a very serious topic, but at the same time - it felt more distanced. Like, reading a report. Also, it was not pain and suffering over 700 pages.

Now, I am reading "The Interpreter of Maladies" and am surprised to see, you can bring across a deep, heartfelt message also .. in a light, calming way. Reading Lahiri does not feel like a burden.

message 2: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19984 comments I think many of us feel the same way, Caecilia. I know I do. I usually look for a fantasy book or something in the Stephanie Plum or Amelia Peabody series as a "relief" from something like the book you just read. After I finished The Nightingale, I read Staked - in the Iron Druid series. I have read many posts by other members that they needed a "light, fluffy read" after finishing a very emotionally charged story.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9420 comments It happens to me too. Example: I read The Rosie Project after All the Light We Cannot See, and The Forgotten Room after A Fine Balance. I would say it's something natural.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I would say that I read more serious books than light books because I personally find them very rewarding to read. I love books that are challenging and make me think, even if they put me through the wringer emotionally. However, I do read light and fluffy books too. I agree with Sandra, it's natural to want/need to read something fun and light sometimes.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 208 comments I love all kinds of books. I like reading to be fun and educational. When I read a lot of serious issues books or when I get burned out I need a lighter read. Usually a fluff book or a YA book.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9420 comments Lisa wrote: "I would say that I read more serious books than light books because I personally find them very rewarding to read."

Me too, Lisa. I read more serious/heavy/hard books than light ones. But the great amount of children's books I read work as light ones too. Most of the time I'm reading a middle grade novel in parallel with my other books, so I suppose I get my daily dose of "pain killers". I have to say that the end one I've just finished reading, The Last Great Adventure of the PB&J Society, brought tears to my eyes, though.