Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Mar 2016: Pillars of the World > Post questions for our MARCH 22nd Hangout HERE!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Our Hangout is March 22nd at 7pm PST here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L23cw...

Post any questions you'd like us to address in this thread! And feel free to start any other threads you want in this folder for the month! (Add *Spoiler* tag to the title if appropriate!)

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 19 comments Anyone else wonder why some copies of this book range from $55 to $230 on Amazon? Not all copies are that high. Don't let that put you off the book. Lol, I got it without paying either rate. But, it came with the thought, "Wow, I hope my books are worth that much some day." Still ROFLMAO at some of my other thoughts. If anyone risks that higher price point please let us know how much gold it is bound in.

message 3: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla (gcrokzzzzz) | 37 comments That IS odd!! I bought mine for $7.99 so why would somebody pay $50-$200 when they can get the cheaper one? Weird! Haha

message 4: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla (gcrokzzzzz) | 37 comments That IS odd!! I bought mine for $7.99 so why would somebody pay $50-$200 when they can get the cheaper one? Weird! Haha

message 5: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 108 comments Anyone else creeped out by the use of the word 'Mount' in this book?
There was something along the lines of "She was desperate enough for the mating by the time he’d decided to mount her". I know this was a way of proving the point the Fae were basically thinking of Humans like animals, but it just felt so... URGH ... and then I started noticing the word mount (or some variation thereof) EVERYWHERE ... mostly relating to getting on a horse mind, but still… I loved this book but *shudders*

-- My partner tells me the word mount is fine, so maybe I'm just sensitive?

message 6: by Harryo (new)

Harryo | 17 comments Let's talk about anxiety .... Okay, I'm 50% through the book and the way that Adolfo and his henchmen have been making their way through the land torturing people is making me queasy and anxious, and I'm not normally an anxious person.

Yes, I know that this book is supposed to hearken back to European history when men and women were tortured and killed by religious persecutors, but I kind of like my fiction a little more fictitious. And maybe a bit less gruesome?

Does anybody feel like the author is sweeping through the countryside gratuitously killing off characters to create tension?

Also:

How does anybody prone to anxiety manage to get through this book?

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly Echterling | 4 comments What did you think about the way justice was delivered to the characters in the book, especially at the end?

message 8: by Keith (last edited Mar 03, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Keith (dredchupacabra) | 19 comments I really liked that the Fae Lords had varied influence over the world. If you were a Fae Lord, what would you want to control? In addition, what other form would you take?

message 9: by Nabi (new)

Nabi (nabiwasabi) | 2 comments Harryo wrote: "Let's talk about anxiety .... Okay, I'm 50% through the book and the way that Adolfo and his henchmen have been making their way through the land torturing people is making me queasy and anxious, a..."

I feel the exact same way!! Ugh, I just want to strangle him! >_<

message 10: by Jutta (new)

Jutta (tinkerlue) | 2 comments I thought it was strange that the Fae weren't aware of the witches at all. Considering they lived right at their doorstep and the Fae do travel to the human world frequently. Thoughts?

Would you take a fancy and try your luck with the first man that comes your way? It didn't seem very advantageous to any of the girls..

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Similar to Keith's question- if you were a witch, what branch would you have your talents in - earth, air, fire,water?

All the "female" and "male" instead of "woman" or "man" was creeping me out. Too many jerks online like to bust out with the "feeeeeemales!" like Ferengi.

message 12: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 51 comments Did you think it was fair for Morag to test Lucien with the question of trading his life for Ari's? Were you surprised by his response? What do you think would have happened if he had made a different choice?

And also, do you think that the relationship between Lucien and Ari developed well enough that this was even a possible question? I really liked the ideas around the beginning of Lucien and Ari's relationship and even liked the misunderstandings, but I thought that after the first encounter, the book failed to really connect the characters again.

message 13: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Summers (summersevereads) | 17 comments Why could Ari not recognise the fae despite being descended from them? Neall could - and both of them had a fae grandparent.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 175 comments Meghan wrote: "Did you think it was fair for Morag to test Lucien with the question of trading his life for Ari's? Were you surprised by his response? What do you think would have happened if he had made a differ..."

**Spoilers Ahead!**

I think it was fair for him to question Lucien. He was asking (demanding, really) that Ari give up everything to protect their road and the fae weren't even willing to protect her from the hunters. They wanted Morag to actively stop her from leaving by killing an innocent. Lucien mentions that he would never consider truly being faithful to her and would eventually tire of her. Asking him really shows the reader how little Lucien cares for Ari and other humans. He wouldn't sacrifice himself to save her and the rest of the fae even when he thought she was dead. Ari's human lover offered himself up as a trade before he knew whether or not she'd live. He would gain nothing other than the knowledge that she survives while Lucien would save his people and Ari.

The fae are unwilling to save themselves if it requires effort on their part, but have no problem sacrificing as many humans as necessary to get their desired result- even knowing the truth behind the witches. Their petty treatment of Morag helps to show that too- she gives them the means to save themselves and they exile her. Rude.

message 15: by KaLee (new)

KaLee Douglas | 50 comments Of a man ditched out on your period every month what would you do?

Thoughts on how Morag handled the situation with dying witch and the mob of murderous dicks?

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Adolf and 10 being bubbles from the powerpuff girls, how compassionate was Aldolfo?

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (seaad) KaLee wrote: "Of a man ditched out on your period every month what would you do?

Thoughts on how Morag handled the situation with dying witch and the mob of murderous dicks?

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Adolf ..."

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (seaad) Out of all of the fae that were lords and ladies of the Moon and the Sun how in the hell did Lucien and Dianna get picked to be their leaders? Must have been a popularity contest.

message 18: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 51 comments Their petty treatment of Morag helps to show that too- she gives them the means to save themselves and they exile her. Rude.

Rude indeed. ^_^

I completely agree, the Fae were too self involved to even consider it. Which is why I thought it was weird, and out of character, when Lucien even bothered to hesitate for a moment.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimie1012) | 1 comments What are your thoughts on the gift giving and Ari/Luciens's reactions? How about the song during the Summer solstice celebration when Ari sings the additional verses? Wouldn't it be nice if our lovers always gave us gifts? :)

message 20: by KaLee (new)

KaLee Douglas | 50 comments Most memorable misogynistic moment?

message 21: by Gunnhildur (new)

Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir (grafarholt) | 173 comments What did you think of how they celebrated the first moon of the summer, jokingly referred to as the Bedding Moon. How the fancy bound the women so they had no choice, had to offer it to the first male they encountered but the men were free to decline. How many of the men thought of it as the Ensnarer's Moon and made sure they had alibis for the night, even if they did have an encounter.

message 22: by Gunnhildur (new)

Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir (grafarholt) | 173 comments What did you think of that moment on the beach when Ari realizes that Granny Gwynn used the word male not man so technically she was free to offer the fancy to the horse. Would you have done the same.

message 23: by Miranda (last edited Mar 17, 2016 09:45AM) (new)

Miranda Honfleur (mirandahonfleur) | 6 comments What did you think of how erotic the language was the night of the Summer Moon, when Ari gives the fancy to Lucien in horse form and she rides him? (p. 50/420 for me, location 959)

message 24: by Jessica (last edited Mar 17, 2016 09:43AM) (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 182 comments Heather wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Did you think it was fair for Morag to test Lucien with the question of trading his life for Ari's? Were you surprised by his response? What do you think would have happened if he ha..."

Another way to look at it: I don't think it was fair to ARI for Morag to ask that of Lucian, seeing as it's explained that IF Lucian had agreed to the deal, Morag would have tracked Ari down and forced her back to Brightwood, despite the fact that Ari made her own choice to leave with Neall. WTH, dude?

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (stormfire298) | 52 comments Jessica wrote: "Heather wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Did you think it was fair for Morag to test Lucien with the question of trading his life for Ari's? Were you surprised by his response? What do you think would have h..."

I definitely never thought of it that way. I do wonder if Morag would really have done that. Lucien was such a crock. Ugh. It is somewhat explained at some point in the series how they choose their leaders, while I still wonder how they couldn't be deposed as crap leaders? I wonder if it is because they are reflective of the general Fey attitude?

message 26: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kitson | 68 comments Given the circumstances, would you rather be with Lucian or Neall?

message 27: by Angela (new)

Angela Kravcevich (sheogora) | 20 comments I dont know why, but the descriptions of Dianna and Lucian made me confused. I kinda almost wish they would have gone with the stereotypical color schemes for the sun Fae to be blond/golden/red and moon to be blue/black instead the author swapped those two. It is probably a silly thing to complain about, but it annoyed me.
What do you guys think?

message 28: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Guys! Our hangout is now next Thursday instead! I can't make it Tuesday!

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (seaad) Felicia wrote: "Guys! Our hangout is now next Thursday instead! I can't make it Tuesday!"

:( I has a sad

See you next week :)

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments See you Thursday.

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments Ashleigh wrote: "Anyone else creeped out by the use of the word 'Mount' in this book?
There was something along the lines of "She was desperate enough for the mating by the time he’d decided to mount her". I know ..."

I also did not like the over use of the word "mount". It dated the book for me and reminded me of so many other euphemisms I use to read in bodice rippers books.

message 32: by Candyinmyheels (new)

Candyinmyheels | 24 comments Is there a pick for April yet?

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments Keith wrote: "I really liked that the Fae Lords had varied influence over the world. If you were a Fae Lord, what would you want to control? In addition, what other form would you take?"

I like this question and I hope the hosts answer it.

message 34: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 4 comments Did anyone get a disturbing bestiality vibe from the part where she gave the fancy to Lucien in his horse form? I almost put the book down because that is so not what I signed up for, but then I remembered this was Kiala's pick. I doubt she'd make us read that kind of story.

message 35: by Jessica (last edited Mar 24, 2016 07:16AM) (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 182 comments Jasmine wrote: "Did anyone get a disturbing bestiality vibe from the part where she gave the fancy to Lucien in his horse form? I almost put the book down because that is so not what I signed up for, but then I re..."

Not really, since Ari's thoughts when she gives the fancy to the horse explain that she is only bound to show affection to the receiver, and that there are different types of affection you can give to a horse. Plus, at that point the reader was already aware it was actually Lucian as the horse, so I guess I just assumed he would take advantage of the opportunity in his human form.

If it had gone the other way...yikes!

message 36: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Jasmine wrote: "Did anyone get a disturbing bestiality vibe from the part where she gave the fancy to Lucien in his horse form? I almost put the book down because that is so not what I signed up for, but then I re..."

Not at that moment - but the fae certainly seemed to read that possibility into things when he was telling them about her.

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 19 comments That the nobleman calls Adolfo the "Witches hammer" after they've made it clear that he rapes all of his victims, brought an image to my mind that was way unpleasant. No one else flinched at that one?

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan Soucy (saucysoucy583) | 4 comments So on page 56 - was there actually a man watching her on the beach when she was riding Lucien? If so who was it? Ahern? Her selkie father?