Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 archive > Nominate a satirical book for the April Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (last edited Feb 28, 2016 07:18PM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Here's a new idea, let's see if it takes off.

In this thread, nominate a satirical book. On March 10, I will create a poll from the nominated books. The poll will close on March 17 (luck o' the Irish!) The book with the largest number of votes in the poll will be our Book of the Month. This ties in with the Monthly Challenge. (April is a twofer as you can pick either "a satirical book" or "a book by a comedian.")

Use the "add book" tool to tag your book. If you are using the app, I've had great luck lately using the browser on my smartphone to use the "add book" tool. Just a little tip from me to you.

In April, as many members who are interested can join in the group read. I don't actually have my satire picked out yet so I have a vested interest to see if this idea takes off.

If there's enough interest in a group read, I'll do the same thing for June. (May's challenge prompt is "recommended by someone you just met" so not really conducive to a group read.)

It's OK to put feedback in your comment/post, just make sure you tag/add your nomination with the tool and remember, only one nomination per member.

message 2: by Catharina (last edited Feb 23, 2016 11:18PM) (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I want to nominate Yes Please by Amy Poehler

This sounds like a fun idea, so I'm excited to see if picks up to.
My nomination is for "book written by a comedian" :)

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I like this idea, but I've already read books for both of those categories. I will abstain from voting this round :)

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Catharina wrote: "I want to nominate Yes Please by Amy Poehler

My nomination is for "book written by a comedian" :)"

Not a satirical book.

message 5: by Mike (last edited Feb 25, 2016 10:02AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments I was going to read A Confederacy of Dunces because I've always wanted to. That's my nomination.

However, if it's not the consensus choice, I'm flexible.

message 6: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Catharina wrote: "I want to nominate Yes Please by Amy Poehler

My nomination is for "book written by a comedian"..."

Sorry, I misunderstood.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I want to nominate Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye, a satirical take on Jane Eyre.

message 8: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Great idea! I nominate Gridlock.

message 9: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments I'd like to nominate Gulliver's Travels

Thegirlintheafternoon I'd like to nominate Welcome to Braggsville!

message 11: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I am a big fan of Christopher Moore and have not read Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art yet. But I would be good with Island of the Sequined Love Nun or Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings as well.

message 12: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Marta wrote: "I am a big fan of Christopher Moore and have not read Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art yet. But I would be good with Island of the Sequined Love Nun or [book..."

Marta: Ya gotta pick one to nominate. ;-)

message 13: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6300 comments Mod
I'm planning to read Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut for "satirical" ... so I nominate that one!

I already read my book by a comedian, but I'll make a suggestion anyway - I read Yes Please for comedian and Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari for celebrity, and Modern Romance was better (IMO, obv!), it was not a memoir, but results of a year or so of research that Ansari did with a sociologist on how dating has changed over generations. And yes it was funny, too. So, I nominate Modern Romance for "comedian"!

message 14: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 78 comments I meant to nominate Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art... I already read my satirical book but it has a blue cover :)

message 15: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Thanks, Marta. That one looks interesting!

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 623 comments I'm reading Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead for this prompt. Not sure if anyone else would be too interested.

message 17: by luna (last edited Mar 03, 2016 06:26AM) (new)

luna (lunafaer) | 3 comments I read Survivor for my satirical option and loved it!

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I was planning on reading Beauty Queens for my satire book since it had already been on my to be read shelf.

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele Sorensen (majkmom4) I plan on reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I've been meaning to read it for years, now I have an excuse!

message 20: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments How about Animal Farm ?

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 18 comments For satirical: Animal Farm
By a comedian: My French Whore

message 22: by Jaimee (new)

Jaimee (erisire) | 17 comments Marta wrote: "I meant to nominate Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art... I already read my satirical book but it has a blue cover :)"

I second this one!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.