All Booked Up Club discussion

February 2016 > Interesting first read?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (readingkayla) | 1 comments Mod
Mindy Kaling seems like the perfect friend. I'm also binge-watching the office, so it was cool to watch episodes of the office while reading about her experiences. I wish the book flowed more. There should've been a reason to go to one chapter to the next. It was more of just mini diary posts throughout a 270ish book.

But I did enjoy reading about some of her stories. I just don't know if a book of her stories was really necessary. Your thoughts?

message 2: by Steph (new)

Steph L (thetheatergeek) | 2 comments I really loved this book, I didn't know all that much about her and I was kind of iffy on reading this book in the first place for this reason. Once I got the book and I started reading it I started really liking learning about her, as a person and her experiences. I related to her in some ways, and that was what I really loved about this book it was a conversation. I agree that yes it should have flowed more; that from chapter to chapter there should have been more of a pattern. One of the things that I loved about it was the fact that it was a conversation, it felt like she was talking to the reader about her life. This book felt like you were on the journey of her life with her, and that you were living the events as she was living them. I know that she said that this wasn't supposed to be a self-help book, but in some ways I really think that it could be considered a self-help book.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (tempegeller) | 2 comments I was surpised with how much fun this book was. I've finnished it in one day, which is a good thing. I actually didn't know Mindy Kaling, I might have seen her a bit in episodes. So I didn't know what kind of person was, I offcourse knew what she looked like from the cover. If not for the cover, I wouldn't have known anything about her. Only her name.
When I started reading, I sometimes felt: hey I've felt this way too. I was also a chubby child like she describes and had some of the experiences she had. I loved how she didn't look down to anyone. She simple told what happened to her, without any feel that she was presenting herself better than she was.

I agree with the flow of the book, sometimes it seemed that it lacked a logac structure. She simple went from one subject to the other, in the beginning it seemed to have some logic structur, but once she started talking about her job and her love life. It simple flew away. I don't think it was a bad thing, I just would have prefered to know more about what was going on.
For me a lot of things were so relateble, I'm a writer and I'm not an actor. But I have been through the stuff she went through. I've been the girl she was, it was nice to see things put in perspective. I actually whished I read this book in High school, so I wouldn't have worried so much about what people thought of me.
I wasn't always a fan of the tone of the book, I would have prefered a less conversational book, I didn't always like that she was almost talking to me. I would have prefered a bit more formal language. Maybe this book should have an audiobook performed by her, I think it would be a better medium in listening to this book. I would have brought out the story better.
My only true complaint is about the pictures, I feel they could have been printed bigger. A lot of the times you could barely make out what was on them, maybe this is just a problem in the e-book. Since I didn't have the physical book.
It would have been fun to see more of the pictures and actually been able to make out what was on them. On some you wer able to tell, on others, you simple were not.
I offcourse love reading about a writer making it, it gives me good hope.
I thought the book was funny, that says a lot about someone who doesn't consider herself a funny person. I don't have a sense of humor. I know more about drama, so if you expect me to write some evaluation on the humor in this book, you're on the wrong adress.
I do think there is a part self-help in this book. She does give tips, even though I don't think I am in a part of my life to take those. I think if you're an actor or an aspiring comidy writer, you're going to take more of this.
On the upside, I think I'll read another book by her. I truly enjoyed this book. Is it going to be a book I'll remember in a year? I don't truly know that. Honestly it's not going to be my favourite book. I like it, but it's not perfect. Yet what book is?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a nice fun read for, if you're like me, getting out of a major reading slump. I also liked the relatability of it, as a chubby Asian girl with an obsession that people might not understand. But I agree, as soon as I felt like she was really getting into a topic, it changes and I'm left dissatisfied. (What happened with Amy Poehler when they went on a walk together???)
I did listen to the audiobook rather than read the physical copy, which was cool to listen to Mindy herself. I don't know how much it actually compares to reading the physical book, so I'm not sure if it enhanced my experience. That being said, I did like the conversational aspect of it. I can't imagine Mindy being formal in her writing.
I also wish there was some depth in her topics though. Maybe more apparent self-help. I do think she has some experience and perception that could help a lot of people. I know you're a comedy writer, but just be real with us, Mindy.