The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

2016 Group Reads - Archives > Villette - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1822 comments Mod
Hello everyone; It's almost time to begin our discussion of Villette. As this is a somewhat longer than average book, I am going to allow 6 weeks for this read as follows:
March 1-7: Chapters 1 (Bretton) to 8(Madame Beck)
March 8-14: Chapters 9(Isidore) to 15(The Long Vacation)
March 15-21: Chapters 16(Auld Lang Syne) to 22 (The Letter)
March 22-28: Chapters 23(Vashti) to 28(The Watchguard)
March 29-April 4: Chapters 29(Monsieur's Fete) to 36 (The Apple of Discord)
April 5-April 11: Chapter 37 (Sunshine) to the end plus discussion of the entire novel.

message 2: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 156 comments Thanks for the schedule, Frances. I've been dealing with my mother's health issues for awhile now and haven't been able to commit to any reads, but I'd like to join in on this one and attempt to get back into the reading group swing of things. :-) I've only read Jane Eyre from this Ms. Brönte, so I'm looking forward to reading some of her other works.

message 3: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Great to have you along, Cleo, I will try to get the first discussion thread up tonight.

message 4: by Hedi (new)

Hedi | 960 comments I will also try to participate, but difficulties in planning my days and weeks. A 100 pages per week here and 70 pages per week at the Dickens project will be a huge challenge for me. However, I will try and there is the long weekend of Easter (in Sweden as in some other European countries even 4 days :-) ) for catching up.

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) Started the book last night and got pulled into the story. It's an easy read for me and i think i'm going to enjoy it a lot. I look forward to reading it with this group.

message 6: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 156 comments Hedi wrote: "I will also try to participate, but difficulties in planning my days and weeks. A 100 pages per week here and 70 pages per week at the Dickens project will be a huge challenge for me. However, I wi..."

Hi Hedi! It will be fun to participate together! I know that we've connected on GRs about other things, but I don't think that we've actually read a book together.

message 7: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Catherine wrote: "Started the book last night and got pulled into the story. It's an easy read for me and i think i'm going to enjoy it a lot. I look forward to reading it with this group."

I also started it, but so far it's not doing much for me. But it's early days yet.

message 8: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 220 comments I read this book three years ago, and I liked it a lot. I'm planning to reread it for this discussion. Unfortunately, I'm a little over-committed for the next ten days or so, but I will do my best to catch up.

message 9: by Lily (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:46AM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments Everyman wrote: "...I also started it, but so far it's not doing much for me. But it's early days yet. ..."

{Smile.} I downloaded the audible version yesterday as part of a 2 for one offer. I, too, am over-committed on reading right now. Like you (?), I suspect I may have to table an antipathy towards Ms. Brontë to fully take on the book. I did find the insights of this article yesterday may help my attitude adjustment needs (Rhys' Wide Saragossa Sea long ago turned my sympathies towards Bertha and away from Rochester. Even without Rhys, I ask why be attracted to dark, handsome AND dangerous. Ms. Austen lived in a more confined but supportive world?): https://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...

message 10: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie | 2803 comments Mod
I read this book a couple of years ago and the only thing I really do remember is the ending. I've only read one chapter so far and I find it does take a while to get into Villette.

message 11: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Lily wrote: "I did find the insights of this article yesterday may help my attitude adjustment needs (Rhys' Wide Saragossa Sea long ago turned my sympathies towards Bertha and away from Rochester. Even without Rhys, I ask why be attracted to dark, handsome AND dangerous. Ms. Austen lived in a more confined but supportive world?): https://www.washingtonpost.com/entert....."

While I don't generally l like either-or comparisons in literature, I do find that more people seem to be strongly drawn either to the Brontes or to Austen, but fewer people seem to be strongly drawn to both. It's one of those rare cases where MadgeUK and I disagree; she's a strong Brontean, I'm a strong Austean, and I doubt the twain will ever meet.

message 12: by Jon (new)

Jon Abbott | 113 comments I'm definitely reading Villette.

message 13: by Hedi (new)

Hedi | 960 comments Cleo, have we really never read a book together before? I actually thought so, but I have been mostly focused on the Dickens project during the last 4 years and am usually struggling with another book at the same time. I wished I had more time for reading ...

message 14: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 156 comments Hedi wrote: "Cleo, have we really never read a book together before? I actually thought so, but I have been mostly focused on the Dickens project during the last 4 years and am usually struggling with another b..."

I don't think so...... I believe we had good contact through the self-education courses promoted by Pip and then I was hoping to read The Idiot with you but you were busy. Perhaps we might have read a Dickens ....??? I did try to read a couple but usually had so much trouble keeping up that if I did comment they were few and far between. I found that a steady diet of Dickens doesn't agree with me. I appreciate him much more if I have lots of breathing time in between. :-)

message 15: by Mary Lou (new)

Mary Lou Forgive me for being obtuse, but I need some clarification. Are the dates above when we're supposed to be reading these chapters, or discussing them? It's only March 3rd, but I feel as if I'm already behind. I realize I can jump into the discussion at any time but, as I juggle several books at once, it's nice to have the structure of a schedule so I don't fall behind.

message 16: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Mary Lou-it's for discussing that segment, so during those dates you don't need to hide spoilers from those chapters. Please bear in mind that the discussion thread stays open for much longer than the given week so people will contribute for some time to come. I know that when I get behind in a read it is still enjoyable to read and add to the discussion even when the group has moved on, and others will still be attending to and replying to later comments.