2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2016 > Heather - 25 Books in 2016

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Feb 24, 2016 01:21AM) (new)

Heather | 16 comments Hi everyone! Late to joining the book but my current goal is to read 25 books in 2016. This will be my first reading challenge and I can't wait to start.

I am an American living in London, England. I got married to the love of my life who I met online and dated online, long distance for 4 years. We have closed the distance and now are living in London together.

Hopefully I meet my goal, get my husband reading a bit (pushing him to broaden his book horizon) and meet some good friends along the way :)

message 2: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (karalena) | 238 comments good luck with your goal Heather, I like you met the love of my life online but I didn't have to fly out of the country for him but I had to fly 2300 miles for him. He loves reading as much as I do so that is an awesome thing. Happy Reading!

message 3: by Heather (last edited Feb 24, 2016 01:30AM) (new)

Heather | 16 comments I have read the following up to now:

The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist
Title: The Unit
Author: Ninni Holmqvist
Date Finished: Jan 7, 2016
My Rating: ****
Genre: Science Fiction
Review: I'm a big fan of alternative future books and I really did enjoy aspects of this one. I enjoyed the concept behind the Unit and the way that the characters were forced to deal with their own mortality in it... I sometimes found the relationships between the main character and her friends a bit tedious because of how long they took to describe. Overall a very good book.

Follow You Home by Mark Edwards
Title: Follow You Home
Author: Mark Edwards
Date Finished: Jan 17, 2016
My Rating: ***
Genre: Thriller/Mystery
Review: The first thriller/mystery I have read in quite some time. I liked it but would have enjoyed it more if they had let the suspense last longer. While we didn't know what/if anything followed them home, I found myself eagerly reading more. But as soon as we found out the twist (which I'm glad was not what I expected), the book kind of took a bit of a boring/predictable turn.

How I Lost You by Jenny Blackhurst
Title: How I Lost You
Author: Jenny Blackhurst
Date Finished: Feb 11, 2016
Genre: Thriller/Mystery
Review: I had read a thriller and wanted to read another one and the blurb for this book, saying that this woman went to jail for killing her son but what if they lied?, made me very interested. I really loved the couple of twists and shock moments the author included but I didn't like some of the characters and by the end, with so many different names of characters, I got confused and had to keep flipping back to find out who was who. I was kind of disappointed by the ending.

Half Way Home by Hugh Howey
Title: Half Way Home
Author: Hugh Howey
Date Finished: Feb 20, 2016
Review: I couldn't remember if I had read this one, but I read it again and don't think I have. I needed a change from the mystery/thriller and went back to the space/science fiction side of things. I feel like the characters seemed more adult than how they were described (15 years old) but I'm sure that was down to writing style. I would have liked to know more about the planet that they were on and the flora/fauna there.

message 4: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Heather wrote: "I have read the following up to now:

The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist
Title: The Unit
Author: Ninni Holmqvist
Date Finished: Jan 7, 2016
Review: ..."

I didn't know about this book. Just read Wool Omnibus. It had some mixed reviews, but you think it is worth reading? I love the premise!

message 5: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Whoops there was more than one book there. I meant Half Way HOme :)

By the way I loved The Unit. Haven't seen anyone else reading it before now actually!

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments Winter wrote: "Whoops there was more than one book there. I meant Half Way HOme :)

By the way I loved The Unit. Haven't seen anyone else reading it before now actually!"

Half Way Home is really good. I've read the Wool series and it is similar but really good in a different way. I would totally recommend it :)

message 7: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Heather wrote: "Winter wrote: "Whoops there was more than one book there. I meant Half Way HOme :)

By the way I loved The Unit. Haven't seen anyone else reading it before now actually!"

Half Way Home is really ..."

Cool, thanks ^^

message 8: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (brookexreads) Have fun reading!

message 9: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Nice job, Heather! Are there any books you're especially looking forward to reading this quarter?

message 10: by Heather (last edited Apr 07, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Heather | 16 comments I've been terrible at updating this as I finish books, but I have been reading! I'm going to be updating this with my reviews now, including all my books in one big list again. Hopefully I can update now as I finish books!

The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King
Title: The Shining
Author: Stephen King
Date Finished: March 13, 2016
Genre: Horror
Review: I wanted to read this book because it is considered a classic horror book and I have seen the movie. I really enjoyed this book but found that sometimes the pacing could make it drag and not be as "thrilling" as it could have been otherwise. I really liked how the book explored the fathers side of the story and really delved into the way his disturbed mind was working. Well worth a read, not as scary as I expected, and way better than the film.

The Old Man and the Wasteland by Nick Cole
Title: The Old Man and the Wasteland
Author: Nick Cole
Date Finished: March 16, 2016
Review: I really enjoyed this lovely little short story that combines post-apocalyptic survival with parallels to The Old Man and the Sea. Loved the ending and the way things seem to come full circle. The only problem that I had with this book was that sometimes perspectives change quickly on the same page with little warning (probably a formatting issue of the kindle version)... Maybe a way to differentiate when perspectives change rather than just having it change suddenly.

The Island by Michael Bray
Title: The Island
Author: Michael Bray
Date Finished: March 20, 2016
Genre: Thriller
Review: Very good premise but I felt like the ending was a bit of a throw away... Some of the twists were very good but they didn't have that wow factor I was hoping for. Only *** for me unfortunately but the book had a lot of potential.

Wool (Wool, #1) by Hugh Howey
Title: Wool
Date Finished: March 21, 2016
Review: This series is a really lovely fresh take on the post-apocalyptic genre. I think that there are still a lot of questions at the end of reading this, but it is a 5 part series with other books as well so I think that this can be forgiven. I feel like a lot more could have been done to hide the "big reveal" because I could see it coming a long way off personally. This boils down to hints being too obvious haha. But overall, a really lovely start to a really lovely series.

Proper Gauge (Wool, #2) by Hugh Howey
Title: Proper Gauge
Date Finished: March 24, 2016
Review: I found this to be a bit of boring, filler book to the series. There were a few little surprises, but overall, nothing super special. More looking at the politics of the silo... Not exciting. Not really any information that couldn't have been peppered carefully into other books. Not my favourite. *** was generous in my opinion and that was just because I liked the silo series haha.

Casting Off (Wool, #3) by Hugh Howey
Title: Casting Off
Date Finished: March 25, 2016
Review: I loved this part of the wool series. Juliette is an engaging character that feels real and that you can really start to relate to as you read the book. So much more is learned and the way that Hugh Howey releases the information is done in a very elegant way.

The Unraveling (Wool, #4) by Hugh Howey
Title: The Unraveling
Date Finished: April 1, 2016
Review: I like the way that these stories really expand on the feeling of survival that runs through the silos. I don't want to say much because I feel like I could quickly spoil something for someone.

The Stranded (Wool, #5) by Hugh Howey
Title: The Stranded
Date Finished: April 7, 2016
Review: I really liked the ending of this series. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give anything away, but I think it summed up the series in a very concise, wonderful way. The epilogue was lovely and left a lot of room for even more story.

message 11: by Cassandra (last edited Apr 07, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Glad to see you're enjoying the Wool stories! They're some of my favorites.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments Finished my 13th book in my 25 book challenge for 2016 so now I'm halfway to my goal and by Goodreads records, I'm 7 books ahead of schedule :) Woooo.

Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller
Our Endless Numbered Days
Author: Claire Fuller
Date Finished: April 9, 2016
My Rating: *****
Genre: Drama/Thriller
Review: This book was really a random pickup for me. I don't know what made me pick it up, but I think that I saw it recommended in a bookstore. I am so glad that I did. I loved the voice of the main character Peggy and you can really feel everything that she is feeling. The duel timeline that is used in this book is done so seamlessly and it really is a lovely and addictive read. I can't wait to read more from this talented and wonderful author.

message 13: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Congratulations on making the halfway point!

message 14: by Heather (last edited Apr 18, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Heather | 16 comments Another book off the list. Book 14 :)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Movie Tie-In Edition) by Ransom Riggs
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Date Finished: April 18, 2016
Genre: Young Adult
Review: I read this book when it first came out but had forgotten everything about it. With the new movie coming out, I wanted to see if after reading the book and I must say that I am really surprised. I remembered liking it a lot more when I first read it (but that may be because I was closer to the target audience). That is the only reason for my 3 star review. I really liked the book, the concept, and characters, but found the writing to be rather childish at some points and emotions/motivations for characters to be rather simplified and basic. I'm still very excited to see what is done with the movie.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments Two more books done! 15 and 16 down. I may have to up my goal... Or I'll just see how many books I can read by the end of the year.

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews
Flowers in the Attic
Author: V.C. Andrews
Date Finished: April 24, 2016
Genre: Romance/Suspense
Review: I remember this book fondly, because when I was younger, this was the first book that I read with properly adult themes. I remember being shocked and scandalized by it and feeling that the children were so trapped and restricted (which they were but not to the extent that I remembered). It feels like there is a lot of things thrown in to shock (blood, sex scenes that were unnecessary). I don't know... Reading this again let me down a little bit.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Author: Douglas Adams
Date Finished: April 27, 2016
Genre: Science Fiction and Comedy
Review: I found myself laughing out loud at certain passages of this and visualizing some of the moments in the movie and I think I realized that the movie that was created really represented the book in a really nice way and broadened it in a nice way. The end was a little abrupt, but I am looking forward to reading the next books in the series.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments Finished 20 of 25 books to meet my goal! I think it's safe to say I will be exceeding my goal and I'm really happy about that! I've been reading so much more and am a lot more motivated to keep reading and not just set down books that I am reading.

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
The Tao of Pooh
Author: Benjamin Hoff
Date Finished: April 28, 2016
Genre: Philosophy
Review: A really comfortable look at Taoism philosophy in an approachable format. The bits where Pooh and the other characters are providing more solid examples are the most enjoyable but at the same time, the parts describing ideals and history are still very readable and nice to read. I think that it is a good place to start if you are interested in Taoism and it's teachings/ideals.

Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente
Silently and Very Fast
Author: Catherynne M. Valente
Date Finished: May 2, 2016
Review: This book is a short collection of gorgeously written modern adaptations of fairytales that have a science fiction and mechanical spin on them. The language is flowery and rich and really pulls the reader into it. I absolutely adored it and think that on a second read, I will find even more to fall in love with.

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris
Dead Until Dark
Author: Charlaine Harris
Date Finished: May 6, 2016
Genre: Romance
Review: This is the second time that I am reading this book and I remember liking the series a lot more before... I think that the innocent way that Sookie looks at everything was more sweet before but now, when I read this, I just find her abrasive and annoying... She is really hard to relate to because of this. She's all innocent and then is throwing herself at Bill... The whole "I need you, I can't do this... I need you, don't leave me. Wait, I don't need you really" is annoying.... Maybe if I keep reading, she will mature a bit more and not be so irritating.

Human Universe by Brian Cox
Human Universe
Author: Brian Cox
Date Finished: May 14, 2016
Genre: Science
Review: I really loved this book! It's very easy to read and totally Brian Cox's love letter to humanity as many people have been saying after they have read it. It covers everything from mans place in the universe, to the ideas of aliens and life in the universe. The way it is written is very approachable and even if you don't know much about science, you can slow down and really enjoy the way that this book is written. Graphs and diagrams help the reader understand more complex problems and are quite useful. I will be really happy to read more from Brian Cox in the future. He really makes science easy to understand.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments Finished 2 more books. Racing to my goal of 25 and it's only May! If I can keep up this momentum, I might read 50 books by the end of the year.

Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1) by Margaret Atwood
Oryx and Crake
Author: Margaret Atwood
Date Finished: May 14, 2016
Review: This has to be probably my favourite book of all time. Every time someone asks me my favourite book, this is the one that I keep going back to without fail. It is a thoughtful, well written, honest, creative book that I just can't seem to get enough of (even if I read it 100 times, I know I will always love it to bits). The characters are real and relatable and even when the alternative future that Atwood explores feels alien, it seems familiar at the same time. I adore this book and urge everyone to look into this series. Oryx and Crake is a fantastic start to a world you will get lost in.

Home A Post Apocalyptic/Dystopian Adventure (The Traveler Book 1) by Tom Abrahams
Home: A Post Apocalyptic/Dystopian Adventure
Author: Tom Abrahams
Date Finished: May 19, 2016
Review: This is the first book by Tom Abrahams that I have read but I was very excited when I read the plot. I am a very big fan of post apocalyptic/dystopian stories and this book seemed very interesting. After reading it, I must say that I really enjoyed the writing style of the battles/fights/skirmishes. They were done in a very clear and creative way that didn't just feel like a play by play or directions for a movie. I liked the way that Battle's character was developed and his strengths and weaknesses gradually exposed throughout the book. The only criticism I have is the choice of the last name Battle. It didn't bother me at first, but it got distracting with the use of his name on what felt like every single page, sometimes repeated over and over again in a paragraph. Overall, a really wonderful book and I am excited to read more of in the series.

message 18: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments I definitely need to follow your reviews closely, you read a lot of interesting books!

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments Winter wrote: "I definitely need to follow your reviews closely, you read a lot of interesting books!"

Thank you Winter! I've been trying to read a little bit of everything. I love reading your reviews as well and I've definitely got some books in my queue that are ones you've recommended. :) That's the great thing about Goodreads I think. You find things you might not have picked up otherwise :)

message 20: by Heather (last edited May 20, 2016 02:49AM) (new)

Heather | 16 comments Another book down! 23 out of 25!

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
The Little Prince
Author: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Date Finished: May 19, 2016
Genre: Classic / Fiction
Review: I really enjoyed reading this book through as an adult, even more than I did as a child. I remember reading this book and knowing that there was a deeper message but not really grasping it. I think that as an adult, I can appreciate the deeper metaphors for life and existence, but the beautiful thing is that it can be enjoyed by both adults and children for different reasons. I know that this is a book that I will be reading to my children and I hope that they can appreciate it as much as I did/do.

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments I've finished my goal and read 25 books for the year (and it's only June!). I'm so glad that I've managed to finish but will keep reading and see if I can reach my new goal of 50 books! I doubt it, but I'll give it a try.

What-the-Dickens The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy by Gregory Maguire
What-the-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy
Author: Gregory Maguire
Date Finished: May 25, 2016
Genre: Fantasy
Review: When reading this, you'll be expecting something else. From the cover to the title, it's not exactly what it says on the tin. You can't tell if this is a children's book or an adult book because I don't know if it fully know what it is. One second, language will be simplistic and then it will suddenly change and the description of something is like it's right out of the flowery, complicated, wonderful world of Wicked. I loved the concept behind why tooth fairy's collect teeth and found that aspect of the story lovely and charming. I think that there could have been more said about the children that were hearing the story and there was a lot that was left out of their story. Also, by the end of the story and with the quick wrapping up of the plot, it almost feels that the author couldn't be bothered writing anymore and got bored, wanting the book to just end... Overall, just a three star book for me. There were good and bad elements that just left me wanting more.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author: J.K. Rowling
Date Finished: June 1, 2016
Review: I've read this book so many times, but it doesn't matter, I'll always hold this book close to my heart. It was one of the books that got me into reading and opened my eyes to the magic of the written word. When reading this book, you can just see how far Rowling has come and how these characters have grown up on the pages through the years, along with the readership of these books. It is a magical book that will always stay with you after you have read it.

Always <3

message 22: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4546 comments Heather wrote: "Winter wrote: "I definitely need to follow your reviews closely, you read a lot of interesting books!"

Thank you Winter! I've been trying to read a little bit of everything. I love reading your re..."

Definitely! My tbr has probably grown by 1000 % by now lol.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather | 16 comments I haven't been good at writing reviews for the books that I've finished so I'm going to be populating the reviews in this post after publishing it.

Trigger Warning Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman
Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
Author: Neil Gaiman
Date Finished: June 12, 2016
Review:

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket
The Bad Beginning
Author: Lemony Snicket
Date Finished: June 14, 2016
Genre: Fiction
Review:

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2) by Lemony Snicket
The Reptile Room
Date Finished: June 20, 2016
Review:

The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) by Lemony Snicket
The Wide Window
Date Finished: June 23, 2016
Review:

The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4) by Lemony Snicket
The Miserable Mill
Date Finished: June 25, 2016
My Rating: **
Review:

The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5) by Lemony Snicket
The Austere Academy
Date Finished: June 27, 2016
My Rating: **
Review:

The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6) by Lemony Snicket
The Ersatz Elevator
Date Finished: June 28, 2016
Review:

The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7) by Lemony Snicket
The Vile Village
Date Finished: June 30, 2016
Review:

The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8) by Lemony Snicket
The Hostile Hospital
Date Finished: July 31, 2016
Review:

Spook Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife
Author: Mary Roach
Date Finished: July 31, 2016
Genre: Science/Humor
Review:

Company Town by Madeline Ashby
Company Town
Author: Madeline Ashby
Date Finished: August 13, 2016
Review:

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Coraline
Author: Neil Gaiman
Date Finished: August 15, 2016
Review:

Room by Emma Donoghue
Room
Author: Emma Donoghue
Date Finished: August 19, 2016
Review:

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Lord of the Flies
Author: William Golding
Date Finished: August 29, 2016
Genre: Classic
Review:

The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
The Girl with All the Gifts
Author: M.R. Carey
Date Finished: September 23, 2016
Review:

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
The Girl on the Train
Author: Paula Hawkins
Date Finished: October 4, 2016
My Rating: *
Review:

Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1) by Diana Wynne Jones
Howl's Moving Castle
Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Date Finished: November 5, 2016
Review:

Bird Box by Josh Malerman
Bird Box
Author: Josh Malerman
Date Finished: November 15, 2016
Genre: Horror
Review:

The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do by Sarah Knight
The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do
Author: Sarah Knight
Date Finished: November 25, 2016
Genre: Self-Help
Review:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Ready Player One
Author: Ernesy Cline
Date Finished: December 23, 2016
Review: