Play Book Tag discussion

A God in Ruins (Todd Family, #2)
This topic is about A God in Ruins
February 2016: World War II > God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoLene (last edited Feb 23, 2016 04:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Life After Life was one of my favorite books and Teddy was one of my favorite characters in the book, so picking this one was a no brainer. Unfortunately, I didn't really love it, but there are some external factors that are probably affecting my rating. This is Teddy's story, told in a very non-linear fashion. I think that Atkinson is a great writer and I respect her ability to fill in minute details around the broader story --- it's a narrative style that appeals to me. I also enjoyed seeing the Todd family again.

I listened to the audio and the narrator was great -- however, the non-linear style sometimes made it difficult to follow. Actually, following wasn't so difficult, but I think this is a book that I would have liked to look back for reference. (NOTE: my book club consensus for LifeAfter Life was similar -- those that read the physical book liked it more). My second criticism was actually resolved by the end of the story and with the authors note. (view spoiler). Finally, I think that personal timing was off --- sometimes some incidences in the book were a bit too close to my personal situation. Obviously that is not the books fault, but it did distract me a bit. I would recommend the book, but I would say that my high expectations were not met.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5793 comments I was not a great fan of Life After Life, so wasn't keen to try this one. Your review makes me think I'm right to skip it.

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for the tip re: audio. I'll make sure I read rather than listen to both titles.