Grimdark Fantasy discussion

Recommendations > 30 Best Fantasy Series

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Followed and/or finished 12 of them. Glad Temeraire made it to the list!
Tried to read and didn't like 4.
Want to try reading at least 3.

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel | 88 comments 14! Plus another 4 which have been residing in my to-read list since forever. And a few that sound like a good idea to be added to my to-read list with ambivalent chances of ever get read at the end..

message 4: by Chris, kingtermite (new)

Chris (kingtermite) | 468 comments Mod
Read: 8
Started, but didn't like: 2
On my "to-read" list: 15

message 5: by Rich (new)

Rich | 3 comments completed 12
started 7
didn't like 3
want to read 6

message 6: by Swagat (new)

Swagat | 12 comments Completed - 6
Read some books of the series - 11
Not read - 13

message 7: by Chompa, Founding Father (new)

Chompa | 477 comments Mod
I've read books from 18 of the listed. I've completed or read 3+ of the series for 10 of them.

message 8: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 552 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Read: 8
On my "to-read" list: 15"

Which ones didn't you like?

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Any books on here anyone thought unworthy? I've read 8 I think but started or read some in the series more like 10.

message 10: by Chris, kingtermite (new)

Brittany wrote: "Chris wrote: "Read: 8

Which ones didn't you like?"

Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
The Earthsea Cycle (I must be the only one on the planet).

message 11: by Brittany (new)

Chris wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Chris wrote: "Read: 8

Which ones didn't you like?"
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
The Earthsea Cycle (I must be the only one ..."

I haven't read either of those so I'll keep them on the lower end of my to read for now...since you're so trustworthy haha

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 77 comments completed - 9
started - 4
didn't like - 2
want to read - 4

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark | 113 comments I have started 27 of these, finished most of them.

message 14: by Koen (new)

Koen | 4 comments wow, still have lots to catch up on :) Only read First Law (but all books :)), LOTR and ASOIAF... WoT I'm currently collecting and have the first 6 books.. Once I have half of them, I'll start reading :p
Too bad Death Gate Cycle isn't on this list.. Read that one too :)
Oeh, and gave up on Malazan after I heard how extensive it is..

message 15: by Silvana (last edited Mar 11, 2016 07:49AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I didn't see Brittany's question up there. Subjectively, I think Pern and Sword of Truth are not worthy - probably worst series I've ever started and would not recommend them to my friends, ever.

Divine Cities series by Robert Jackson Bennet should be in the list too, I think, considering the unfinished Gentleman Bastard sequence and Kingkiller Chronicle are included. And maybe Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. That one's pretty legendary, at least for me.

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel | 88 comments Mark wrote: "I have started 27 of these, finished most of them."
you are my hero!

message 17: by Mel (new)

Mel | 88 comments Silvana wrote: " Sword of Truth are not worthy..."
this. many time this.

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark | 113 comments Melina wrote: "Mark wrote: "I have started 27 of these, finished most of them."
you are my hero!"

Lols been reading a lot of years

message 19: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 77 comments Mark wrote: "I have started 27 of these, finished most of them."

Wow. That is really impressive - someday I'll get there!

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason | 23 comments surprisingly I Have read a majority of these. Some of these I have no desire to read at all. I love it when article writers use the term "Of all time" since that is for sure a way to make a great argument. Several of the selections I totally disagree with, but why argue about it. It's all subjective, but at least they Did put the Malazan series in there ;)

message 21: by Derek (last edited Mar 13, 2016 04:19PM) (new)

Derek | 1 comments I have read all or most of 25 of these, at least if you include reading Narnia when I was too young to understand Aslan was Jesus made feline.

I disagree with Jason (whom I know), we absolutely ought to argue about this list. My personal Worst Series Ever is Shannara, because I can not read it without being infuriated at the degree of derivativity (hmm..?) from Tolkien.

Similarly, I disagree with the person up above (whom I do NOT know) about Thomas Covenant. While he is a rather dark anti-hero, I absolutely love Mr. Donaldson's use of language, and there are still scenes that I recall 20 years later that shake me to my soul (Saltheart Foamfollower's heartrending grief and caamora, for one). Because he is dark and the language so precise, I would only recommend this series when you are in the mood to read slowly and cherish the books.

Cheers,
--Derek

message 22: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I haven't read Shannara except for the sample chapter (which I dislike) but some people seem to really, really hate it due to reason you mentioned.

message 23: by Chris, kingtermite (new)

Silvana wrote: "I haven't read Shannara except for the sample chapter (which I dislike) but some people seem to really, really hate it due to reason you mentioned."

The thing is that the "derivative from Tolkein" is only true of the first book, "The Sword of Shannara". Brooks totally finds his own voice and stories after that.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Finished - 3
Read at least one of - 1

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished - 6
Read at least 1- 9
Have the book but have not read- 6

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 21 comments As much as I like some of them, I don't think unfinished series should be on the list.

And...where is Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber?

Seems like a lot of newer, more current writers.

message 27: by El Mikoe (new)

El Mikoe Read: 11
To Read: 7
Currently Reading: 1 (discworld)

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee Moore | 2 comments Read: 11
Started: 5
Didn't Like: 1
Considering: 2

message 29: by Brittany (new)

Dee wrote: "Read: 11
Started: 5
Didn't Like: 1
Considering: 2"

Which didn't you like? I am always curious and it helps me prioritize in the future. So many want to reads and never enough time!

message 30: by Chris, kingtermite (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "As much as I like some of them, I don't think unfinished series should be on the list.

And...where is Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber?

Seems like a lot of newer, more current writers."

Agree on both!!

I don't even like to start any unfinished series.

I just read Chronicles of Amber, and it's now my favorite series of all-time, I'd say.

message 31: by Brenda ╰☆╮ (last edited May 08, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 21 comments Chris wrote: "I just read Chronicles of Amber, and it's now my favorite series of all-time, I'd say."

Oh yes! There are many that are on my favorites list, but Amber tops it. I think it always will.
I don't know how many times I have reread it.

message 32: by Angela (new)

Angela | 38 comments I've read: 11 includes series up to date with.
Didn't like: 2
First Book in series that are on my TBR: 7
That means there's 10 that haven't really caught my eye to read.

message 33: by Andy (new)

Andy | 34 comments I've only read 3 of those all the way through (LOTR, ASOIAF, First Law), and actually, if you include stuff outside of the main series like Sharp Ends, I haven't really completed those. I tend to start series and then move on without finishing. I've partially read 8 others on that list, and there are 6 more that were actively on my TBR radar.

message 34: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 89 comments I finished 7 with the caveat that Stormlight isn't finished, The First Law says the trilogy and doesn't include the other books in that world and I've read all the WOT's minus the prequel which technically isn't part of the series, I'll read it this summer anyway. With Mistborn I've finished the first trilogy. I'll eventually read all the other Mistborn books.

I've read some of 8 others. Of those I'll never finish Redwall, The Name of the Wind and I'm on the fence about doing Assassin's Quest because Apprentice was very good but Royal was trying although the last quarter saved it.