Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

March: New To You Author

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sylvia (last edited Feb 23, 2016 04:04PM) (new)

Sylvia  | 13086 comments Mod
Our third theme for the Monthly Challenge is:

March: New to You Author

All that is required for this challenge is to read books by authors you have never read before. Authors you haven't yet discovered or have been wanting to explore for so long. Whether you read all the books by just one author, or many books by many different authors who are New to You that is up to you.

Please sign up on the homepage when the challenge opens, labelling your folder MC Mar 16...https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/... then post the link in this discussion post so we can discuss each others' selection of books.

I hope you fall in love with a New Author and they become one of your favourites.
Have fun!

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7239 comments Mod
Hmmm...this could be really easy or really hard.

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Tracy wrote: "Hmmm...this could be really easy or really hard."

I think really easy for me as I've got so many authors I need to discover.

message 4: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 969 comments Tracy wrote: "Hmmm...this could be really easy or really hard."

so true.

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

I'm going to try and finally read books by:

Morgan Rhodes
Maria V. Snyder
Victoria Aveyard
V.E. Schwab

…just to name a few!

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Sylvia wrote: "I'm going to try and finally read books by:

Morgan Rhodes
Maria V. Snyder
Victoria Aveyard
V.E. Schwab

…just to name a few!"

Love Morgan Rhodes

message 7: by Sylvia (new)

Tracy wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "I'm going to try and finally read books by:

Morgan Rhodes
Maria V. Snyder
Victoria Aveyard
V.E. Schwab

…just to..."

I know you do and I'm keen to discover her work.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Sylvia wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "I'm going to try and finally read books by:

Morgan Rhodes
Maria V. Snyder
Victoria Aveyard
[author:V.E. Schwab|7168..."

I actually have a couple of Maria V. Snyder's books on my TBR.

message 9: by Sylvia (new)

Tracy wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "I'm going to try and finally read books by:

Morgan Rhodes
Maria V. Snyder
Victoria Aveyard
[author:V..."

She's an author I've wanted to read for a while now but not sure why I never have lol

message 10: by Bobbi (last edited Feb 29, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Bobbi  (schadenfreudian) | 14 comments Sylvia wrote: "I'm going to try and finally read books by:

Morgan Rhodes
Maria V. Snyder
Victoria Aveyard
V.E. Schwab

…just to name a few!"

I just finished a book by V.E. Schwab. I think you'll really like her.

This challenge has perfect timing. I just bought a bunch of self published kindle books that look promising. This is going to be hard to choose though.

Maybe...
Stacy Claflin
Jessica Sorensen
Trisha Leigh
Ednah Walters
Dale Mayer

to start with and see where the month takes me, tentatively at least.

My shelf: Bobbi- MC Mar 16

message 11: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Bhatt I'm in!

message 12: by Sylvia (last edited Mar 12, 2016 04:23AM) (new)

message 14: by B. (new)

B. Goodwin | 2 comments My YA, TALENT, might qualify as a book by an author you don't normally read.
B. Lynn Goodwin
TALENT

message 15: by Sukey (last edited Mar 05, 2016 04:54AM) (new)

Sukey  the Book Hoarder So many options with this challenge, so many new-to-me authors.

I'm going to try Kate McCarthy Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy
Suzanne McKenna Link Saving Toby (Toby & Claudia Book 1) by Suzanne McKenna Link

Both hanging about on my TBR
Link to my shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 16: by Sylvia (new)

Tricia wrote: "Here's my shelf... https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Elle Kennedy's The Deal

Kathryn Perez's Letters Written in White

Keri Lake's Ricochet

Happy reading!"

The Deal is amazing! Hope you enjoy the read.

message 17: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi  (schadenfreudian) | 14 comments B. wrote: "My YA, TALENT, might qualify as a book by an author you don't normally read.
B. Lynn Goodwin
TALENT"

Mmm, no, sorry, it wouldn't for me at least. I read it and really enjoyed it. :)

message 18: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sylvia wrote: "Tricia wrote: "Here's my shelf... https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Elle Kennedy's The Deal

Keri Lake's Ricoche..."

Thanks Sylvia. I am 50% into The Deal and I am LOVING it. I can't believe I waited this long to read it.

message 19: by Sylvia (new)

Tricia wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Tricia wrote: "Here's my shelf... https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Elle Kennedy's The Deal

Keri..."

Unfortunately I do that too lol there is always another book in the way but I'm glad you are enjoying it.

message 20: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 969 comments Signed Up for 4 books.

message 21: by Sylvia (new)

Okay, so I started reading Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes for this challenge. I'm already hooked.

message 22: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sylvia wrote: "Okay, so I started reading Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes for this challenge. I'm already hooked."

Thanks looks like a good one. Adding it to my TBR.

message 23: by Sylvia (new)

Tricia wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Okay, so I started reading Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes for this challenge. I'm already hooked."

Thanks looks like a good one. Adding it to my TBR."

Awesome :) Tracy recommends this series and of stat I've read it really starts off with a bang.

message 24: by Tricia (last edited Mar 08, 2016 06:08AM) (new)

Tricia I finished reading my first of 3 books by new authors: Elle Kennedy's The Deal.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, which is somewhat surprising since I'm not big on the sporty alpha male type characters but I did not feel that was overdone and I even felt Garrett was swoon-worthy. I loved the love story and how they were both looking to be with someone who wanted to know and understand them. I think that's very realistic to what we all want in a loving relationship.

I can see why the book is so popular.

I think Elle Kennedy is one of the authors who is easy to read and what I mean by that is there is a flow and easability to the way she writes.

I will be reading more of Elle Kennedy and kudos to her storytelling and writing, it will probably be the next one in this series.

message 25: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sylvia wrote: "Tricia wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Okay, so I started reading Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes for this challenge. I'm already hooked."

Awesome..."

How do you get the cover of the book to show up in your comments? I really want to be able to do that!

message 26: by Tracy (new)

Tricia, at the top right of the rrply box it says add book/author. Just click on it.

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tricia wrote: "I finished reading my first of 3 books by new authors: Elle Kennedy's The Deal.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, which is somewhat surprising since I'm not big on the sporty alpha male type characters but..."

I read The Deal and need to read the others because I really enjoyed it

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Sylvia wrote: "Tricia wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Okay, so I started reading Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes for this challenge. I'm already hooked."

Awesome..."

I do Sylvia! It is a fabulous series and it hasn't gotten boring or slow at all, at least not to me.

message 29: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Tracy wrote: "Tricia, at the top right of the rrply box it says add book/author. Just click on it."

Got it! Thanks Tracy.

message 30: by Sylvia (new)

Tricia wrote: "I finished reading my first of 3 books by new authors: Elle Kennedy's The Deal.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, which is somewhat surprising since I'm not big on the sporty alpha male type characters but..."

It is one of those series' that is definitely easy to read and get into. The Deal, by far is my favourite.

message 31: by Sylvia (new)

Tracy wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Tricia wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Okay, so I started reading Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes for this challenge. I'm already hooked."

Thanks looks like a good one. Adding it to my..."

Woohoo…I love the sound of that.

message 32: by Tricia (new)

Tricia I am about 20% into my second book for this challenge Ricochet by Keri Lake and I think the writing is good and the psychological aspect realistic as the motives behind the violence seem true to me but the violence... I have been away from the news, TV and movies too long to be acclimatized to the violence. I'm finding some of the imagery intrusive after reading. Will let it sit for a few days and try again...

message 33: by Tracy (new)

Tricia wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Tricia, at the top right of the rrply box it says add book/author. Just click on it."

Got it! Thanks Tracy."

;)

message 34: by Sylvia (new)

Tricia wrote: "I am about 20% into my second book for this challenge Ricochet by Keri Lake and I think the writing is good and the psychological aspect realistic as the motives be..."

Wow, how do you do it? Stay away from the media like that. I guess there are days I don't go on the TV, so it's not that difficult, but I need my fix of zoning out sometimes in one of my fav shows or watching a movie with the family.

message 35: by Bobbi (last edited Mar 11, 2016 12:03AM) (new)

Bobbi  (schadenfreudian) | 14 comments Okay, I gotta ask, what is everyone's opinions on using a book you dnf in a challenge like this? I'm reading this thing and I'm dying. Metaphorically - and I suppose literally on a cellular level - dying. Count if you make if more than half way, yea or nay?

message 36: by Sylvia (new)

Bobbi wrote: "Okay, I gotta ask, what is everyone's opinions on using a book you dnf in a challenge like this? I'm reading this thing and I'm dying. Metaphorically - and I suppose literally on a cellular level -..."

Can I ask what book you speak of?

message 37: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi  (schadenfreudian) | 14 comments Gypsy. I was okay when it was just some weird pacing issues and trying to keep track of two names for every character (no lie) but then there are these major things that happen, and without spoilers, no human being, I don't care what their socialization level is like is going to react how the title main character does.

message 38: by Sylvia (new)

Bobbi wrote: "Gypsy. I was okay when it was just some weird pacing issues and trying to keep track of two names for every character (no lie) but then there are these major things that happen, and..."

Just checked the book out and it seems to have high ratings. I hate when that happens to me i.e. everyone loving a book that I can't lol how far have you gotten through it? If you have to DNF it and you are more than halfway, then it's counted :D We won't make you suffer lol I know what that's like.

message 39: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi  (schadenfreudian) | 14 comments Sylvia wrote: "Bobbi wrote: "Gypsy. I was okay when it was just some weird pacing issues and trying to keep track of two names for every character (no lie) but then there are these major things th..."

Right? I even checked the ratings before I decided to read it and for a while, eh, but I just can't. I'm sitting at 55% and I absolutely hate to DNF books, but my goodness. Hopefully the next one goes a little better? lol

message 40: by Sylvia (new)

Bobbi wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Bobbi wrote: "Gypsy. I was okay when it was just some weird pacing issues and trying to keep track of two names for every character (no lie) but then there are these ..."

Not enough time in the day to waste on books that you just can't get into. That's my reasoning. You tried at least, so I do hope the next book turns out to be a good one for you.

message 41: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sylvia wrote: "Tricia wrote: "I am about 20% into my second book for this challenge Ricochet by Keri Lake and I think the writing is good and the psychological aspect realistic as..."

I am prone to sensory overload so when that got bad almost 10 years ago, I went a couple of years without any media, including books. Then when I went to get back into TV/movies, I didn't find any of it very engaging and I really enjoyed the time I had gained by not spending it watching TV. I try a couple of TV shows per year and never manage to stick with them... I much prefer books. But like I said, you step away from that stuff and go back, you realized how desensitized you were when you watch it to the over-the-top cinematics they used to keep people's attention. But I completely understand using it as a way to escape... that's what I use books for :)

message 42: by Tracy (new)

Tricia wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Tricia wrote: "I am about 20% into my second book for this challenge Ricochet by Keri Lake and I think the writing is good and the psychological aspe..."

I rarely watch tv or listen to the radio myself. I turn on the news for an hour in the mornings and that's mostly for the weather.

message 43: by Sylvia (new)

Tricia wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Tricia wrote: "I am about 20% into my second book for this challenge Ricochet by Keri Lake and I think the writing is good and the psychological aspe..."

I completely understand considering you have sensory overload. My youngest has Sensory Processing Disorder, so I absolutely get it. TV etc is extremely overrated anyways, and I stick to watching shows that I've watched for years and never really start any new show. The news is what gets me. They report every thing under the sun and bombard you constantly. I avoid it as much as possible.

message 44: by Sylvia (new)

I just finished my first book for the challenge and absolutely enjoyed it quite a lot. Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes is a series I will be continuing for sure. Why did I wait so long to read it?!

message 45: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sylvia wrote: "I just finished my first book for the challenge and absolutely enjoyed it quite a lot. Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes is a series I will be continuing for sure. Why did I wait so long to rea..."

Congrats! Yes, the age-old question "why did I wait so long?"

message 46: by Tricia (new)

Tricia I hope it's okay that I removed Ricochet from my list because it was too violent for me and imagery because intrusive in my head and added How to Save a Life to my mc-mar-16 shelf instead. So I'm still reading 3 books for the challenge, just not the original 3 I intended... :(

message 47: by Sylvia (new)

Tricia wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "I just finished my first book for the challenge and absolutely enjoyed it quite a lot. Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes is a series I will be continuing for sure. Why did I wait..."

Lol we always ask it when we have waited for so long. Just one that will never be answered I guess ;)

message 48: by Sylvia (new)

Tricia wrote: "I hope it's okay that I removed Ricochet from my list because it was too violent for me and imagery because intrusive in my head and added How to Save a Life to my m..."

I'm sorry you had to do that Hun but no biggie though. These challenges are for you to accomplish at your own pace and with books you want to read.

message 49: by Tracy (new)

Sylvia wrote: "I just finished my first book for the challenge and absolutely enjoyed it quite a lot. Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes is a series I will be continuing for sure. Why did I wait so long to rea..."

*juming around * So glad you liked it Sylvia. I love love love these books!

message 50: by Tracy (new)

Tricia wrote: "I hope it's okay that I removed Ricochet from my list because it was too violent for me and imagery because intrusive in my head and added How to Save a Life to my m..."

That's fine Tricia. The goal is to have fun while reading

« previous 1