What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Dark shadow creatures attacking town/city?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Navarro | 2 comments Thank you for taking the time to read this.

A few weeks ago I was looking at the Horror section and found this Interesting book. I thought I could come back and find it again, but no I lost it, I kind of remember the title. Something to do with Dark or Darkness and some other words, in the description I think it said the protagonist name, but again I forgot but I do believe it is a female protagonist.

I barely remember the plot of the story so here we go.
A "women" and her dog both lying on her bed while she reading her kindle at night and all of a sudden the light (or few lights she had on) go out, her dog started growling at the open door that leads to the hallway. The city/town is consumed by this dark shadow that is killing people or some how kidnapping them. Now there is a few survivors because some of them had some type of portable light, people without light some how died but the people with light lived. They must find some way to escape the city/town.

That's all I can remember from the description but I can remember the front picture of the book so I will try to describe it.
It's a man being pulled up to this bright light in the middle of the picture, like ascending to the heavens, but with a dark mass of shadow surrounding him. The color of the light is kind of tinted yellow/white.

Well that is all I can remember for anyone who reads this thank you for taking the time to read this.

Oh and it not the Blackout by Tim Curran.

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) Could it be any of these? Was it a recent release?
Darkness on the Edge of Town Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene
The Dark The Dark by James Herbert

message 3: by Michael (last edited Feb 26, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Michael Navarro | 2 comments Tink Magoo is bad at reviews wrote: "Could it be any of these? Was it a recent release?
Darkness on the Edge of TownDarkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene
The DarkThe Dark by James Herbert"

I'm sorry none of those books are it, but would like to read them. I can't remember if it was a recent release (sorry). Thank you for your effort.

message 4: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2502 comments Reminds me of the movie Vanishing on 7th Street.

message 5: by Michele (last edited Feb 27, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Juels wrote: "Reminds me of the movie Vanishing on 7th Street."

Yes! That's just what I was trying to remember. Was there a novelization of it maybe? The cover description sounds a lot like the movie poster (see here)

message 6: by Kris (last edited Feb 27, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Kris | 35772 comments Mod
Goodreads has the screenplay of Vanishing on 7th street by Anthony Jaswinski. IMDB.com and Wikipedia give Jaswinski the writing credits for the 2010 movie, but don't mention a novel.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39882 comments Mod
Michael, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments Maybe The Taking by Dean Koontz?

message 15: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35772 comments Mod
Note: Michael (OP) was last active on the site in November 2018.

message 16: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2502 comments The rockabilly werewolf from Mars wrote: "Bump"

If you're bumping because you'd like to know, I'm very certain my suggestion (#7) of The Dark by Jason Brant is correct. The book starts with a girl reading her kindle on her bed with her dog. The cover also matches the OPs description.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, not read it myself but the cover and the description match exactly:

“Christy Barnett is sleeping when her aging German shepherd Molly growls into the darkness outside her bedroom. She wakes to a dim glow provided by her Kindle’s screen, thankful that she had fallen asleep while reading again. The power has gone out, the world outside her window is eerily dark and silent. And Molly is wary of something that waits in the hallway, hiding in the shadows.

A dark cloud has fallen over the city of Aberdeen, MD. The population disappears in an instant. For the handful of survivors, those lucky enough to have a light source not connected to the power grid, it's more than terrifying. They’re left alone, walking through a nightmare, and that is a fate that could be worse than death itself.

The darkness is alive and it is the reason we fear the night.”

The Dark by Jason Brant

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39882 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Michael, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response; moving to Abandoned.