Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
372 views
Archive > Ke$ha Case

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments Don't really know where to put it, because it's really a topic about feminism, and don't have time to comment it now but thought this Lena Dunham + Lenny's letter could interess a lot of you

http://www.lennyletter.com/politics/a...


message 2: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Tocco | 50 comments Thank you!! :)


message 3: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Marie | 200 comments This case just saddens me. Why are the courts forcing this poor woman to work with her rapist/emotional abuser? Since when is a contract more important than a human life? This is modern day slavery to me. And also M, why does Hollywood thinks that it is okay for men to do this? Dr. Luke is still making millions as well as Chris Brown. Bill Cosby also got away with his crimes for so long. This case just shows how our society is so messed up.


message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Platoff | 16 comments Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this just a civil case rather than a criminal case? If so, then Dr. Luke isn't even going to prison for his disgusting behavior. I've seen many Facebook comments lately about Kesha "ruining" his life (as if he didn't already ruin hers???), when as far as I know Dr. Rapey will still be able to do his job as if nothing ever happened. The poor woman just wants out of her contract. This situation makes me absolutely sick.


message 5: by Lissette (new)

Lissette (liss4ever) it is very sad, she just wants to get out of her contract with her abuser. The fact that women are silenced for raising their voices and men are praised for it shows the corrupt society we live in. #NomoreSilence. The message that it is sending out is basically letting all people who are abused that they deserve it. This women was emotionally, verbally, and mentally abused by this guy and people are not even believing her. All she wants is her freedom. The guy is not even going to jail which he should by the way.


message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments He's still presumed innocent, but as Lissette said, Ke$ha basically just wants to go out this contract because she has the feeling (based on facts or not, I think if it's not based on facts doesn't matter here) that this guy abused her physically AND psychologically !

So even though the guy thinks he hasn't done anything, she doesn't feel safe anymore near him, and still, the law forces her to keep being under his influence, because the guy just controls her whole life. It feels so disgusting. I think this feeling of insecurity SHOULD BE the only thing that matters in this case, but still, it's not enough.

I really like the message of hope in the link I shared though. Lena Dunham says that if Ke$ha (or anyone who suffers from abuse) can't talk for herself, other can stand up for them !

"Those days are over.

They are fucking done.

We are not scared anymore of losing what we worked for, of being branded hysterical or difficult, of being targeted and silenced by men in power. The women in the music industry speaking out for Kesha are proof. And their words will reverberate, inspiring the young women watching them for clues about the good life to speak up too. Soon, no one will accept shame and fear as the status quo. And so, while Kesha is indefinitely silenced, her voice has never been louder."



message 7: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
I think this case is disgusting and completely messed up.

There is something seriously wrong with the court system.

Even if (for now) these are just 'allegations' against Dr Luke and nothing has yet been proven, nobody should be forced to work with somebody that they do not feel safe with - it's a basic human right.


message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments Jo wrote: "I think this case is disgusting and completely messed up.

There is something seriously wrong with the court system.

Even if (for now) these are just 'allegations' against Dr Luke and nothing has ..."


Yeah, really think so too. We'll see what will happen next, but it's barely believable that Ke$ha's rights seem to be so unimportant here.


message 9: by Melle (new)

Melle (feministkilljoy13) | 68 comments I'm hoping that all of this publicity has a negative impact on Sony - that's the only way they're going to do anything. They could care less about Kesha.


message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments FYI - Kesha's message on FB :


I'm so, so beyond humbled and thankful for all of the support I've
received from everyone. Words cannot really express the emotions I've gone through reading and seeing how amazing everyone has been to me. I can’t believe that so many people all over the world took the time to show me support and love. Other entertainers who knowingly put their own careers at stake by supporting me, I will be forever grateful.
All I ever wanted was to be able to make music without being afraid, scared, or abused. This case has never been about a renegotiation of my record contract – it was never about getting a bigger, or a better deal. This is about being free from my abuser. I would be willing to work with Sony if they do the right thing and break all ties that bind me to my abuser.
But at this point, this issue is bigger than just about me.
I think about young girls today – I don’t want my future daughter – or your daughter – or any person to be afraid that they will be punished if they speak out about being abused, especially if their abuser is in a position of power.
Unfortunately I don’t think that my case is giving people who have
been abused confidence that they can speak out, and that’s a problem.
But I just want to say that if you have been abused, please don’t be afraid to speak out. There are places that will make you feel safe. There are people who will help you. I for one, will stand beside you and behind you. I know now how this all feels and will forever fight for you the way perfect strangers have been fighting for me.
Yes, I am very much a feminist, but more than that, I am a humanist. I believe in supporting my fellow human beings in being SAFE.
We're all in this together. You are not alone.
I love you and thank you. heart emoticon



message 11: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments I'm appalled :(


message 12: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Marie | 200 comments This just pains me. This week, I just got out of a physically and emotionally abusive relationship. My ex recently gave me a black eye, and I decided to take a stand and show the world how wrong this is by posting a photo on Facebook. Some of my closest friends since early childhood said that was the wrong thing to do and made me look like I "fishing for attention." Also, he is publicly calling me a liar and his friends are doing the same thing. I feel like I along with all of these women(including Kesha) will never get the respect and justice that we deserve because society thinks that it is okay "to put a woman in her place."


message 13: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Marie | 200 comments This just pains me. This week, I just got out of a physically and emotionally abusive relationship. My ex recently gave me a black eye, and I decided to take a stand and show the world how wrong this is by posting a photo on Facebook. Some of my closest friends since early childhood said that was the wrong thing to do and made me look like I "fishing for attention." Also, he is publicly calling me a liar and his friends are doing the same thing. I feel like I along with all of these women(including Kesha) will never get the respect and justice that we deserve because society thinks that it is okay "to put a woman in her place."


message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 24, 2016 04:26PM) (new)

Don't give a shit about what they say. And you should've reported him, too (if you haven't).


message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments Alexis, I think that by reporting him to your dearest ones, you did the right thing.

I think by doing this, you wanted attention, right, but not for you. You wanted to show the world a situation that can't be accepted, like ever.

I really have difficulties to understand how your friends are not supporting you in this hard event of your life. You don't have to be blame for expressing yourself about such a painful situation.

Really hope you'll meet a lot of better people in your life, who will help you to go over it and treat you the way you deserved to be :)


message 16: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Marie | 200 comments I did report him. I'm waiting for the detectives to get back to me.


message 17: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Marie | 200 comments And thank you guys so much! I've had support too with some girls I haven't talked to since high school.


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

It's in the hard times when you see who deserves to be next to you and who doesn't. So don't let them tell you what to do because they've lost that right in the moment they didn't support you and defended him.

Just move on and things will get better. There are better people out there and you will find them. And don't let him affect your life more than he already has. You'll get out of this actual feeling sooner or later.


message 19: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Marie | 200 comments Thank you so much! I wish my town took feminism and domestic violence seriously.


message 20: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Marie | 200 comments Thank you so much! I wish my town took feminism and domestic violence seriously.


message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments It's a long long road to run, but we have to never give up on that fight !


message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Bruno | 1 comments I look at this issue from both sides of the coin. On one hand it's possible that the evidence provided wasn't conclusive or enough to end the contract, in which case the judge was just doing their job. On the other hand, Kesha breaking down crying should be enough to show she's telling the truth. Either way this story breaks my heart and I feel for her.


message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments Catherine wrote: "I look at this issue from both sides of the coin. On one hand it's possible that the evidence provided wasn't conclusive or enough to end the contract, in which case the judge was just doing their ..."

The judge must follow the law, and if he hasn't enough proofs, he can do anything - i can agree.

But Sony have the power to break this circle. She doesn't want to leave them. But she just want to stop working with him, even if it's just written and he can't see her, she just wants the collaboration with Dr Luke to stop - not the one with Sony.

Really think that Sony have this power, and have no excuse to not use it !


message 24: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Julie wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I look at this issue from both sides of the coin. On one hand it's possible that the evidence provided wasn't conclusive or enough to end the contract, in which case the judge was..."

Yes, but that would mean that a man would have to call out another man on abuse. And that is uncomfortable. Men don't call out men, unless really necessary, so who's this chick anyway, maybe she's rocking the boat too much for us guys...

And Alexis, good grief, what "friends" you have, telling you you're fishing for attention. At least now you know, and while it can hurt very badly when finding out who actually has your back, it's better in the long run. You don't want to confide in people with such small minds.


message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments Aglaea wrote: "Yes, but that would mean that a man would have to call out another man on abuse. And that is uncomfortable. Men don't call out men, unless really necessary, so who's this chick anyway, maybe she's rocking the boat too much for us guys..."

Sorry, I'm not sure of what you want to say with that (English's not my first language, sorry).

Are you saying that the people at Sony are "protecting" Dr Luke because they are men and he's a man too ? (if it's that, I think that's a pity but totally plausible)


message 26: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments It isn't uncommon for guys to protect guys, and if Kesha has made a public situation of it, they might sort of retaliate, be it consciously or not, by protecting the brotherhood first.

This is one of the reasons why I find it so difficult to talk about "sisterhood" and women having other women's backs at all cost, promoting other women before men, too. I don't think gender should have anything to do with big decisions, but if a person behaves like a first-class jerk, they should suffer the consequences.


message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejuz) | 97 comments Aglaea wrote: "It isn't uncommon for guys to protect guys, and if Kesha has made a public situation of it, they might sort of retaliate, be it consciously or not, by protecting the brotherhood first.

This is one..."


Ok, thanks for explaining your point to me :)


message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Walker (kristenswalker) I think it's such a sad situation. Kesha was brave to speak up and go all the way to court to change her contract, but she lost her case. It's so unfortunate that she can't make her music at all unless it's with her abuser. Sony could so easily change the situation by switching her to another producer but they won't. It's so awful that it's the victims who suffer and the abusers continue getting money and fame. As a society, we need to stop excusing this abusive behavior in celebrities and hold them accountable for their actions. Even if there isn't enough evidence to put Dr. Luke in jail, he shouldn't get to go on having his career while Kesha is basically forced to end hers. Hopefully, Kesha can find something else to do that she loves where she can be free from her abuser.


message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know much about this case, just bits and pieces that I've seen on social media, and I don't know much about laws and contracts in the music industry (honestly I know nothing), but I think what really should be noted is that everyone should have the freedom to change their contract if they want to, no matter the reason. The fact that Kesha's reason to change is abuse, and she STILL isn't allowed to, just makes it worse.


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.