2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2016 > Amanda's 93 in 2016

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:45AM) (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments This is probably a ridiculous goal...I've never really tracked my reading before, best I can remember I read between 15 and 20 books in 2015, so I should definitely push that goal up to close to 100!

This number came about because I wanted to do the PopSugar reading challenge (41 books), and then found the Around the Year in 52 Books challenge (52 books), and wanted to do both (93 books!). I started January 2, and goodreads says I'm on track for my goal right now, so...what the heck.

Here's what I've read so far!

January
1. The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (1/4/16)
2. Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley (1/8/16)
3. The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman (1/12/16)
4. The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzak (1/17/16)
5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (1/24/16)
6. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (1/26/16)
7. The Martian by Andy Wier (1/28/16)

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys The Martian by Andy Weir

February
1. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (2/2/16)
2. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (2/3/16)
3. Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice (2/11/16)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (2/16/16)
5. Naked in Death by JD Robb (2/20/16)
6. City of Thieves by David Benioff (2/21/16)
7. One Plus One by JoJo Moyes (2/22/16)
8. Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates (2/24/16)
9. The Walking Dead: Vol. 1 Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (2/26/16)
10. In Your Dreams by Kristan Higgins (2/29/16)

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb City of Thieves by David Benioff One Plus One by Jojo Moyes Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01 Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman In Your Dreams (Blue Heron, #4) by Kristan Higgins

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah H. (maron123) | 131 comments Good luck on your goal this year! You have already a ton of great books!

message 3: by KellI (new)

KellI Preston | 156 comments How did you like Wide Sargasso Sea? I have been thinking about reading it but have seen really mixed reviews. Which I just shouldn't pay attention to but I do....

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments KellI wrote: "How did you like Wide Sargasso Sea? I have been thinking about reading it but have seen really mixed reviews. Which I just shouldn't pay attention to but I do...."

I enjoyed it, but I understand why it gets such mixed reviews. It's not like Jane Eyre at all, and people who read it looking for more of a favorite book aren't going to get that. If you're a huge fan of Mr. Rochester, it could be disappointing to see him portrayed the way his is in Wide Sargasso Sea. I've always thought he was a bit of a jerk though...

I gave it three stars because I wish the middle section of the book was clearer, and had more from Antoinette's perspective. The writing was overall really lovely and evocative, and gave a great picture of post-colonial Jamaica. I definitely think you should read it and decide for yourself :)

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (karalena) | 243 comments good luck with your goal. Happy Reading!

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Good luck on reaching your goal. You have already read a bunch of great books so far! I also just finished Between the World and Me - I thought it was a poweful book.

message 7: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2016 08:34AM) (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments Update! Who would have thought I'd be 3 books ahead of my pace :)

March
1. Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari (3/4/16)
2. Anything for You by Kristan Higgins (3/5/16)
3. Baltimore Blues by Laura Lippman (3/9/16)
4. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante (3/16/16)
5. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (3/17/16)
6. Goddess by Kelly Gardiner (3/21/16)
7. Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt (3/26/16)
8. Me Before You by JoJo Moyes (3/27/16)
9. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed (3/31/16)

Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari Anything for You (Blue Heron, #5) by Kristan Higgins Baltimore Blues (Tess Monaghan #1) by Laura Lippman My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels, #1) by Elena Ferrante
The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey Goddess by Kelly Gardiner Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes
Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

Modern Romance: eh. Interesting concept and had some funny moments but got repetitive. Glad I listened to the audiobook, he's a funny guy.

Anything for You: Higgins is one of my favorite romance authors, her books are always enjoyable for me and this was no exception.

Baltimore Blues: Pretty good, set in my home state this made me homesick for Baltimore. I liked the twists, and will probably continue reading the series.

message 8: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Great job, Amanda! It's so exciting to be ahead of where you thought you would be. :)

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments My Brilliant Friend: LOVED IT! If you have a friend who you've been close to most of your life you will relate to these girls. Their friendship touched me in so many ways, especially the rare times that Lila expresses how much her friendship with Lenu means to her. I finally could keep all the secondary characters straight by the end of the novel...Can't wait to read the next in the series!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments The 5th Wave: an entertaining and quick read, I liked the shifting perspectives and fast-paced action. A lot of the twists were very predictable to me, but yet confusing in an unnecessary way. There's much better post-apocalyptic series out there. I'll read the other two when I need a break from more challenging reading ;) (which I haven't done that much of lately ;))

Goddess: I really don't know whether or not I enjoyed this book. There were parts that were just so awful, but I loved her story and her adventures, and there were some beautiful passages. Hated the constant shift between first and third person, and the first person sections were AWFUL at times. So repetitive. I'm so conflicted about this book....will do a full review soon.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments March Update! I'm still 3 books ahead of schedule towards my 93 book goal thanks to some easy & quick reads.

March by the numbers:
9 books
2914 pages
2 non-fiction
7 fiction
1 audiobook
7 books by women authors

Favorite book this month: My Brilliant Friend
Least favorite book this month: Modern Romance (sorry Aziz, I think you're funny, but this book kinda sucked)

Goals for April:
1. Read every day (I skipped 5 days in March).
2. Read more books that I already own (all of my March books were new or from the Library).
3. Finish the Alexander Hamilton biography.

message 12: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments That's fantastic, Amanda! Keep up the great work. :)

message 13: by Amanda (last edited May 02, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments April

1. Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy (4/18/16)
2. The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey (4/18/16)
3. The Emperor of Water Clocks by Yusef Komunyakaa (4/23/16)
4. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (4/23/16)
5. The Walking Dead: Vol. 2, Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman (4/23/16)
6. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (4/26/16)
7. No One Knows by JT Ellison (4/28/16)
8. Yes Please by Amy Poehler (4/28/16)

Ghettoside A True Story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey The Emperor of Water Clocks by Yusef Komunyakaa Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) by Chinua Achebe
The Walking Dead, Vol. 02 Miles Behind Us by Robert Kirkman Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow Yes Please by Amy Poehler No One Knows by J.T. Ellison

message 14: by Amanda (last edited May 02, 2016 08:06AM) (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments April is over and I'm still 3 books ahead of schedule (technically on May 1 I was 4 books ahead, lol)

April by the numbers:
8 books
1897 pages (including some books I'm in the middle of right now- doesn't include audiobooks)
3 non-fiction
1 graphic novel
1 book of poetry
2 audiobooks
3 books by women authors :(

Favorite book this month: Alexander Hamilton or Yes Please
Least favorite book this month: No One Knows ( enjoyed it as I was reading it, but looking back there were too many plot holes and red herrings)

How I did on my March goals
1. Read every day: EVEN WORSE! I skipped a whopping 10 days :(
2. Read more books that I already own: only read 1
3. Finish the Alexander Hamilton biography: done!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments April Goals:
1. Read every day (this continues to be a struggle)
2. Read 3000 pages

message 16: by Lady Clementina (last edited May 02, 2016 09:19PM) (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Pride and Prejudice- was that your first time reading it? I always forget how funny it can be in some ways- the eccentricities of the characters and some of that banter.

All the best with your reading!

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments Lady Clementina wrote: "Pride and Prejudice- was that your first time reading it? I always forget how funny it can be in some ways- the eccentricities of the characters and some of that banter.

All the best with your rea..."

It was my first ever Jane Austen! It was so funny, I think the humor and how she poked fun at the society of the time was my favorite thing about it.

message 18: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 476 comments Amanda wrote: "Lady Clementina wrote: "Pride and Prejudice- was that your first time reading it? I always forget how funny it can be in some ways- the eccentricities of the characters and some of that banter.

Al..."
I love her books. I think you'll enjoy Emma as well if you liked this one. Plenty of eccentrics there too.

message 19: by Amanda (last edited Jan 03, 2017 07:15AM) (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments May

1. The Walking Dead Vol. 3: Safety Behind Bars by Robert Kirkman (5/4/16)
2. Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss (5/5/16)
3. The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante (5/9/16)
4. The Visitors by Simon Sylvester (5/12/16)
5. Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean (5/22/16)
6. Iced by Karen Marie Moning (5/22/16)
7. Ten Ways to be Adored When Landing a Lord by Sarah MacLean (5/28/16)

The Walking Dead, Vol. 03 Safety Behind Bars by Robert Kirkman Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss The Story of a New Name (The Neapolitan Novels #2) by Elena Ferrante The Visitors by Simon Sylvester
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) by Sarah MacLean Iced (Fever, #6) by Karen Marie Moning Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2) by Sarah MacLean

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments June - December
Wherein the reading progress and tracking halts and all hope is lost...

1. Burned by Karen Marie Moning (6/2/16)
2. Euphoria by Lily King (6/8/16)
3. The Walking Dead Vol. 4: The Heart's Desire by Robert Kirkman (6/18/16)
4. Night by Elie Wiesel (6/18/16)
5. The Sweet Spot by Stephanie Evanovich (7/20/16)
6. Broken Angels by Gemma Liviero (8/17/16)
7. Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance (8/27/16)
8. Ink and Bone by Lisa Unger (9/19/16)
9. The Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Hahn Beer (9/19/16)
10. Dreamland by Sam Quinones (11/27/16)
11. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (12/14/16)
12. Dora Bruder by Patrick Modiani (12/15/16)

Burned (Fever, #7) by Karen Marie Moning Euphoria by Lily King The Walking Dead, Vol. 04 The Heart's Desire by Robert Kirkman Night by Elie Wiesel
The Sweet Spot by Stephanie Evanovich Broken Angels by Gemma Liviero Hillbilly Elegy A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance Ink and Bone by Lisa Unger
The Nazi Officer's Wife How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust by Edith Hahn Beer Dreamland The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic by Sam Quinones Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1) by Marjane Satrapi Dora Bruder by Patrick Modiano

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abh1212) | 37 comments My 10 favorite books of 2016 (in no particular order)
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels #1) by Elena Ferrante The Story of a New Name (The Neapolitan Novels #2) by Elena Ferrante Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates City of Thieves by David Benioff Euphoria by Lily King Dreamland The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic by Sam Quinones Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1) by Marjane Satrapi

My least favorite books of 2016:
The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari Goddess by Kelly Gardiner Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss The Sweet Spot by Stephanie Evanovich