THE AUTHOR TOOLKIT discussion

PUBLISHING > Publishing or Self-Publishing?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James (JamesWilliamsEditor) | 7 comments Mod
Congrats! You have your finished manuscript but now what? Do you want to publish in a traditional publisher house or in a self-publish service? Explain us your experiences and difficulties you encounter during the harsh process

message 2: by Billy (last edited Feb 29, 2016 10:32PM) (new)

Billy O’Keefe (billyok) | 1 comments I contemplated self-publishing (and still might again for future projects), but it felt too much like an island to me, and my friends who have self-published seem to come away alienated more than anything.

Tried approaching the traditional publishing monolith and found it impenetrable and incredibly joyless every time I hit my head against it.

Now I'm trying the happy medium -- a publisher that combines traditional publishing with crowdfunding -- and I'm extremely happy with the results halfway through my campaign to get published there. (I won't name the site or my work on it, because I don't want this to be a self-promotion thing.)

I think this middle ground will grow, and I'm rooting for it to do so. It still weeds out those who can't bring quality work and some degree of self-sustainability to the table, but it doesn't lock itself behind layers of agents and old-world publisher bureaucracy.

message 3: by Pawash (new)

Pawash Priyank (pawashp) | 2 comments Hi All, I have been using iBook Author on macbook to write Travel memoir which would have large DPI photographs in it along with my experiences about the place etc. However I am looking for more options/tools/software/apps that could help me write good looking travel memoirs that could right fit in with US trade paperback sizes.

Could you sir please suggest me some softwares/writing platform other than iBook Author that could provide me travel momoir templates etc.

Please advice.