Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Call the Midwife > better then or today?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Medical procedures are so different now, not just with advanced technology but with lawsuits and such. Doctors jump right to a c-section if there seems to be any form of risk to baby or mother, mostly so they don't get sued. We hardly hear anything about breech babies or rickets today, but I bet a lot more babies died that Jenny didn't talk about. My question is, are we better off today? Are our methods better? Or should we be delivering more breech babies vs. c-sections, etc. and going back to the old school way of doing things? Do our methods prevent more risky things from happening today than back then?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Good question! After having read these books and seen the CD's, I'm of the opinion that a c-section is certainly a better way to go than the risks they took so many years ago. Maybe I'm being a wimp, but I feel that whatever is safest for the mother and baby is the best way to go.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I am very thankful for the medicine we have in today's world for delivering babies safely! I think moms and babies are better off for having more information about the pregnancies and deliveries. On a personal note, my son was almost born at 26 weeks. After months of bedrest, sonograms, medicine, and great care, he was born full term at 40 weeks. He was only 5 pounds 9 ounces at birth and went to 5 .4 quickly. Without medical information, I feel with absolute certainty that he would have some complications for life. However, he is completely healthy thankfully!

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments what a cool insight! Thanks Darlene! I also agree, we have come a long way since then. It's amazing the miracles we see to keep babies getting here alive and healthy.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments We are absolutely better off today with the medical advances we enjoy, but I also know that a mother's intuition is real and comes from God - which surpasses all medical advancements. Given the choice, I'd pick today to bear children, versus a hundred years ago. Interesting story...my mother was a tiny thing (5'2" and about 110 pounds) who had very large babies (+9 lbs). She would gain large amounts of weight...like 60-70 pounds at each pregnancy. She always lost the weight, but her doctor was concerned about the weight gain. So when she was pregnant with my baby brother in 1962 the doctor recommended that my mom start smoking in an effort to control her weight gain. She smoked, got hooked in the cigarettes and only was able to break the habit when we joined the church. Crazy huh?!

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments I think today we have our own set of problems that come with to much tech and too much legal worry, but we also have awesome life-saving stuff and general knowledge they didn't have then. The trick is to make sure you're getting the best of both: take the tech that is needed, and leave what's unnecessary/problematic. Trust your intuition and personal revelation, but also seek a trained care provider that has spent years in detailed study.

message 7: by Carol (last edited Feb 24, 2016 05:38PM) (new)

Pam, as much time as I have spent one on one with your Mom I never new about the weight and smoking. I'm guessing that it is something she isn't particularly proud of, but what a surprise. I had no idea that she put on so much weight. What an interesting story.

Darlene, your new picture gives me a whole new impression of you. Nice picture. I thought perhaps you were of a slightly different culture or whatever, but now we see the real you. Your dog looks like a sweetie too.

Thanks for your comments folks.

message 8: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Thanks, Carol! I am of a different culture.... Steeler Nation.... Lol! My husband and I have been die hard Steeler fans for years and after 20 years on the waiting list, we finally got season tickets, hence the Steeler pic and garb. My new pic is of my four-legged family member, Elliston. She is our 9.5 year old Landseer Newfoundland and she is indeed a faithful friend!

message 9: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Plus I am not sure why everything is posting in duplicate! Sorry, Ladies!

message 10: by Diana S (last edited Feb 27, 2016 06:37AM) (new)

Diana S Even though we enjoyed very good health care now. I have noticed there is a growing tread with young mothers to use midwives and having their babies at home or birthing centers. Many of my daughter's friends have already had babies with midwives. My own daughter has decided to have her second child at home with a midwife. I don't know if the books and TV series has encouraged this tread to grow. But it's been fun, learning what these young mothers are doing for their families. From cloth diapers (there are pinless diapers now) glass bottles, collecting soapberries to make soap, making baby food, etc...
I've also learned that midwives are still commonly used all over the world expect USA.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments My daughter-in-law has had her two children at the hospital, but with a midwife in attendance instead of a doctor. It's a great compromise because intense medical care is available if it's necessary, but she loves the "midwife philosophy" where everything is more natural and low stress.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Darlene wrote: "Plus I am not sure why everything is posting in duplicate! Sorry, Ladies!"
I've been removing one of the two when I see one, so don't sweat it!!!

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianalm) Historically midwives have been the norm at births throughout the world. They are so well trained now that other than surgery, i.e. caesarian section, they do an amazing job on every level with mothers.