Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Call the Midwife > TV series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments For those of you who saw the BBC series, did you like it compared to the book? What similarities/differences did you like/dislike?

message 2: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I do not have BBC as of now, but I am interested to see the comments re the tv show. I'll have to check and see if it is on Netflix.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I still have a couple more to watch, but I really enjoyed the ones I have been able to see and were available to check out. I think it makes a good transition for us. As we are coming to the conclusion of Downton Abbey, these folks are like family and good friends to me. I'm slowly developing a fondness for the women that are the Midwives. I was chatting with my niece this weekend, and she used a midwife to have her first child. She said she wouldn't have a child any other way. With all the new technology we have, she feels it is the way to go!!

message 4: by Carol (last edited Feb 23, 2016 05:16PM) (new)

Darlene - I'm a tad concerned when you say you don't have BBC if you are in fact looking at your local PBS station. I get BBC on PBS.
On Sunday evenings they show such stuff. You might also check on your TV schedule to see what you show.

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments For me, the characters came alive for me more than in the book. Maybe putting a face to the character helped. I love Chummy so much more from the TV series! But I didn't like that Jenny's stories were played by other midwives. But I guess they have to get them screen time somehow. And I'm curious to know what stories come from book 2. Season 1 does not equal book 1.

message 6: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Carol wrote: "Darlene - I'm a tad concerned when you say you don't have BBC if you are in fact looking at your local PBS station. I get BBC on PBS.
On Sunday evenings they show such stuff. You might also check o..."<

I will do so! Thanks! As you can tell, I am not much of a tv watcher. lol! But this show would probably be great!

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments Darlene, it is on Netflix. Then you can watch when it's convenient. I plan to watch there too.

message 8: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Great! Thanks, Angela!!

message 9: by Carol (last edited Feb 26, 2016 04:52PM) (new)

Hi ladies - I just finished watching Seasons 1 and 2 of this Series. What a delight it was to see it, and I got such a fuller feeling after watching them than by reading only. Is there more than the two seasons. I'm glad you guys referred them to me. They can be a little tough, but in many ways delightful too. Thanks! Hey, I just looked on Netflix, and apparently there is also a Season 3, 4 and they are in the middle of 5 NOW. So our timing is very good. I'll have to give that a try. I found S 1 & 2 in the Library. Maybe I'll be lucky and find those too!!!!

message 10: by Diana S (new)

Diana S I love this series. I'm watching season 3 right now.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 10 comments My husband and I have been watching the series since the beginning. (We stream directly from England.) As the series progresses, the charactes gain depth and believability. I love Trixie. She's so me in the sixties. I think that Monica Joan is the most endearing because she is so fragile and slightly batty in a poetic way. I admire Sister Evangelina's take charge attitude and her tendancy towards task orientation. Her gruffness only adds to her charm. I also like the way the series shows the mounting dangers in the loss of the neighborhoods. I think the loss of community weakens the fabric of the society in which we live.

message 12: by Carol (new)

I just got series 3 & 4 from the library and am well on my way watching them. All of you, thanks so much for letting us know they are available. I have enjoyed them so very much. They enhance the book and each other in a most complimentary way. Hope you all are doing well. CJC

message 13: by Carol (last edited Jul 13, 2016 02:56PM) (new)

I appreciate you ladies that had known about the audio/video for "Call the Midwife", I've really enjoyed them. It has really added a dimension to the book that we have gained since and while reading the book. At the time of the book, they only had Series 3 & 4. Yesterday I found a Series 5, and it is most enjoyable. That was a good find and pick Chelsea. And Cheryl, I bet you and your hubby have really enjoyed watching it weekly since the start. Well, I'm nearly caught up with you. Good job all of you.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Hi Ladies - This is probably old news to some of you. I was in the Library last week, and they had Season 5 of Call the Midwife. I'm looking forward to seeing it. I enjoyed the first so much. I know that Cheryl has been watching it since the beginning. Hope you all are doing well. Hugs, Carol