Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Call the Midwife > Monica Joan

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments What do you think about Sister Monica Joan? was she senile or pretending to be ignorant and crazy?

message 2: by Carol (last edited Feb 23, 2016 05:07PM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I called Chelsea about this nun, and we think the one I'm thinking of is Sister Evangelina. She is a large woman, and her distinctive talent includes passing gas on demand. I laughed so hard when she started doing that. I personally don't think she is senile, but perhaps she is pretending. For the most part I really liked her.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I am really not sure what I think re this Sister. I think I need a little more info to go on........She certainly has me wondering, though!

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments I don't know. I think two things: not enough info was provided, and what info they did give was probably colored by the understanding they had back then.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I'm currently reading "The Japanese Lover" by Isabel Allende. One character in that book, who's worked in a nursing home for years, says: "... in itself age doesn't make anyone better or wiser, but only accentuates what they have always been." I kind of thought this about Sister Monica Joan. Even if she was senile (and the naked episode pretty much proves she was), I felt she must have always been mean - even if she hid it while she was younger. Do you agree? Maybe that isn't fair. I know some of you may have loved ones who became different people when they aged.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I watched the video that showed Evangelina, and she by no way was the Nurse/Nun that had mental/memory issues. I don't know if any of you have seen the PBS series called Rosemary & Thyme. One of the gardeners/detectives was Evangelina. It's a great series and my hubby and I enjoyed it very much. I'm still on the outlook for series 3, 4 and 5? Really want to see them. Think I'll do a library run tomorrow to see if I can find them. I'm really enjoying our group so far, and a bunch of smart women like you all make it exceptionally fun and interesting. Here's to Pam's book! Enjoy all!!! I just sent Pam a note, and I'll post a folder that she can load her questions in about 3 weeks then we can have more fun fun fun. Pam's book is really good.

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Going off of what Cindy said, I think yes there is a part of her that is senile. But I think she she has moments of clarity and pretends to be senile to get her way and be obnoxious. :) Maybe when I'm old I'll play that card too!