Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Call the Midwife > inter-racial births

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments What did you think about the inter-racial births and the different reactions to all 3?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
By coincidence, I've just read another book that had to do with inter-racial mating and births, and that is in our time now. On TV, there is an example of this and the marriage fell apart. I think inter-racial babies are adorable, and not just black and white. I think many of them are so beautiful with the combination of the difference races.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I loved the man who never had children. How he made up his mind in that split instant while holding "his son" that he would never consider him any different. I don't think he was ignorant about the affair and the skin color. I think he wanted a child so bad he was willing to push back his anger and just love that baby, even if it wasn't his own.

message 4: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I thought it was so interesting how the author took time to describe three very different scenarios! I loved how she presented different perspectives. I agree with what Chelsea said re the man who never had children. I thought that story was just beautiful and his reaction/lack of reaction to skin color spoke louder than any words that he could have said. As always, actions speak louder than words.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments I agree with Chelsea and wish we could have gotten his side of the story.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I don't think Worth ever came out and said this, but I thought the underlying issue in these stories was that these women had their infidelity "found out" because they were unwise enough to get pregnant by a man of another race. How many of the hundreds of babies she delivered were fathered through infidelity? Maybe I'm cynical, but it made me wonder!

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianalm) Unfortunately I haven't been able to read the book yet....still haven't received it from a private seller on amazon, however I have seen all three seasons on PBS so I can only comment on the scenes that relate to these topics. I agree with you Cindy that the issue was more the infidelity than the race.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Chelsea wrote: "I loved the man who never had children. How he made up his mind in that split instant while holding "his son" that he would never consider him any different. I don't think he was ignorant about the..." I'm really embarrassed. I don't remember or can't find the part about the man you are referring to. I don't remember this part....any help welcome....Thanks.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Carol wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "I loved the man who never had children. How he made up his mind in that split instant while holding "his son" that he would never consider him any different. I don't think he was ig..."

This story is in Chapter: "Of Mixed Descent III"

message 10: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Hembroff (mhembroff) | 93 comments Even though its been awhile since I read the book I think I know the incident you are talking about. It was in the TV series as well, I think. There was and still is a lot of mixed marriages with children who aren't really one color or the other. It was a big no no at the time and in some cases still is. A lot of people in those days were very closed minded. Hopefully we are starting to grow out of this.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 10 comments Chelsea wrote: "What did you think about the inter-racial births and the different reactions to all 3?"

It seems to me that the English are less bothered by the inter racial relationships than Americans. Maybe it's because in the big cities there are seemingly more things to worry about. Or maybe it is just me after living in LA for 35 years. Populations inevitably change during and after wars. Look now at the influx of refugees from everywhere! I think there is more fear concerning religious prejudice than inter racial babies. It is certainly more of an issue with people of my parents' generation than now. My southern daddy was elated when I brought home a nice white Lutheran boy from a good family. He was suspicious of everyone of color after a tour in the Pacific in WW2.

message 12: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Thank you Cindy for clarifying! Yes, this question was more about the infidelity than race. The only reason the men found out was because their baby was black. So I loved the man who just loved the baby and claimed it as his own. But there was also the man who wanted that baby out of there, and the next morning it was. I can understand the resentment, but that was harsh. Then there was the woman who was terrified to give birth because she thought the baby would be black, and her mom was outraged! But then it was white, and they never said a word to the husband. So yes Cindy, I wonder how many babies were not the father's, but the baby was white so nobody knew about it.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Thanks for the directions to find that sweet chapter of the man that married at 60 and wife at 45. Her baby was light black at the time, but he loved that sweet child. He could have said something, and then ruined everything. I doubt there was any doubt that he knew something was different. Questions best left unanswered, and he knew how much he loved his baby. Really was a tender chapter.