Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments What grossed you out the most with the living conditions she described?

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments When Jenny describes examining the women and the dirt and stench that was down there. Ewww! I can only imagine!

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene A lot grossed me out! The thought of pretty much most of the living conditions was indeed gross. And yes, when examining the women, the "stench!" Yuk!!! I tend to forget, though, just how far we've come as far as cleanliness and personal hygiene goes. It's easy to forget the horrible conditions many still endure while we live in such an affluent society.

message 4: by Diana S (new)

Diana S You have to also remember that even in the 1950's England was still recovering from WWII. Spending the midwives to the east end was one of the way the country was trying to help the poor. The east end was one of the last places to get clean up.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I'm very sensitive to smells, so definitely anytime she mentioned how terrible things smelled I was retching a little bit. :)

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 10 comments I think the descriptions of the smells were what got to me the most. I gag in the lockerroom at the gym! One's sense of smell is the most remembered, and fetid and putrid do not foster great living conditions. My mother was a nurse, and for a short time, she worked with extremely rural families whose hygiene was less than what was described in the book. No matter what she explained, pleaded, cajoled, threatened, ignorance won out, and mom quit the health department. It's simply that they didn't care. It was sad.

message 7: by Diana S (new)

Diana S very sad :(

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I also thought the flat with the kids peeing and pooping all over was pretty nasty too. AND I'm surprised nobody mentioned Mrs. Jenkins on this thread! Her poor feet! I can't imagine the extent they had to go to to get that woman undressed for a bath! I loved her story by the way. Makes you not so upset about her being in everyone's business at the beginning of the book. Just goes to say don't judge people based on their looks.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Oh, I forgot about her! Definitely nasty.

message 10: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Hembroff (mhembroff) | 93 comments The conditions were sad and book brought out the true depth of the conditions that were only hinted at in the TV series. It makes you appreciate how far we have advanced in cleanliness and in medicine.