Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Call the Midwife > Surprised by a birth story?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments What pregnancy/birth story surprised you the most or had the most impact on you? Why?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I think the woman that had 24 children literally blew me out of the water. I cannot even begin to comprehend the health of the mother and the fact that she has survived this many so far.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Same here Carol, but I was shocked at the fact that her preemie survived without a NICU! Amazing what mother instincts can do!

message 4: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I agree with Carol. Of all the stories that I read, the one with the 24 children was the one that sticks out with me. They had such a loving, caring family! But 24 kids is just unbelievable!!! Physically, financially, emotionally......I really can't imagine how it was done!! And to think that the dad and mom did not speak the same language......WHOA and WOW!

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela (angeladecker814) | 104 comments The preemie baby (#25) and the whole situation with the teen prostitute's baby were the most intense for me. Also the one where the grandma couldn't see her grandkids and the dad was abusive.

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I agree with Angela and others who were touched by baby #25 and Mary (teen prostitute) and losing her baby.

message 7: by Diana S (new)

Diana S There were many of the birth stories that got to me. I remember grasping a lot and saying to myself " Oh my goodness". Most of you have mentioned the ones that impacted me. Like: the family with the 24 children, the abusive dad, and Mary.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 10 comments Ditto, Diana!!

message 9: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Hembroff (mhembroff) | 93 comments It has been awhile since I read the book but I do remember the woman who had 24 kids. I can't imagine it at all. The families living conditions were terrible. How could any woman survive in those conditions. There was a lot of love in that family with the oldest helping raise the younger children while the mom put most of her attention on the newborn child.
One of the things that stayed with me was the conditions most of the people lived in.