Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Call the Midwife > Ice Breaker

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Since we don't know everybody here, and this is our first discussion, let's start with an ice breaker question:

You are marooned on a desert island and you can only bring one book. Which book do you bring and why?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Hi all. I'm back from my vacation in Utah. Got to see extended family, friends, and the brand new Provo City Temple, which is amazingly beautiful. Had a great time. Hope all is well with you all.

I have actually pondered this question before, and thought what book would bring me the most comfort if I were out in the sticks all alone, and my answer is the Bible. I feel that book would do for me what I would want and need. Others?

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments For me, the only book I've read over and over again is The Book of Mormon - Another Testament of Jesus Christ. It is my daily source of spiritual strength and guidance (which I think I would need on an island)! or I would bring a "How to Survive on a Deserted Island" type of book! ha! But since I don't like to re-read books, the other option for me would be to bring a super long book I've been wanting to read like Les Mis.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments As I sit in the rain waiting for my daughter to get out of school, I'll share my thoughts. First for me would be a book of scripture. Us Mormons have a Quad which is the Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price all in one. That's probably cheating, but I love loopholes! Since I think many with a faith might select their book of scripture a good second book might possibly be something like Atlas Shrugs, which has so many lessons on many different levels. I don't usually read books over and over (or even twice) but I have wanted to reread this book just to see what I missed the first time. Plus it's over a thousand pages (or something crazy like that), so it would take me a while!

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene If I could only bring one book, I have to agree with Carol. It would have to be my Bible. It gives me life and I am constantly learning and re-learning from it! Plus, it's really long!!! LOL

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Could we modify your question, Chelsea, and say everyone gets to bring their scriptures?? THEN, what would you bring? I'd bring "Pride and Prejudice" - it's the only book I've read multiple times. I love everything about it - the story, the characters, the language... If it wouldn't be cheating, I'd bring my "Collected works of Jane Austen".

message 7: by Carol (last edited Feb 27, 2016 06:59PM) (new)

Kudos Cindy - great thought. I have a book that I've read I think at least four times that touches me on many levels. Definitely a favorite for many reasons. It hits different moods in my life - great book. "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Loved that book Carol! Another book I never would have read wo a book club!

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments That is one of my favorite books too, Carol!

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 10 comments I think I would take the Complete Works of John Donne. At different points in Donne's life, he was a womanizing rake, a faithful husband, and an accomplished theologian who had remarkable insights to into humanity, spirituality, and the metaphysical.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Hello Cheryl - good to see you. I've missed you. And you have provided us with your mega-intellectual answers that I have come to really appreciate. Hope things are doing well for you. Our next book is Someone Knows My Name. Quite a book, some similarities with this book too. Take good care of you my friend.