The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Wheel of Time > TGH: Part 3 (Chapters 12-19)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Part 3

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Part 3 (Chapters 12-19).

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
This section has been a little slow. A lot of walking and whining really. At least Rand's sort of made up with his friends.

Though now he's traveled to another world and back again, and is somehow ahead of the Fain's group (and his friends).

Selene is pretty interesting. Rand comments she reminds him of Aes Sedai, but she claims she's not, and in fact seems a bit hostile towards them. Plus she's somehow gotten to this world with no humans in it, but claims she can't get back. Suspicious.

I wonder if she was trapped there and Rand let her out. Time to go see!

Perrin seems to finally be embracing his nature. He's been dubbed Young Bull for the way he went at the Whitecloaks when they killed Jumper. This is where Perrin's story starts to get good for me.

Egwyne and Nyneve are finally at the white tower. The Amryln shows what Nyneve is capable of by pissing her off to no end. I still don't get Nyneve's hostility towards Aes Sedai though. It really makes no sense. It's going to be many many books until I like her at all again.

message 3: by Bill (last edited Mar 06, 2016 07:07AM) (new)

Bill | 1596 comments Rob I like your idea of Selene being trapped in that world and Rand letting her out. She is totally bad news. She knows way too much then tries to act ignorant. She also knows what Rand is and wants him to use his power for some reason. So ultimately I don't know if Selene is after Rand or the horn or both.

Verin has tracked down Rands group to supposedly help them but is acting strangely. She might have a purpose for Rand outside of Moraines or could be one of the Aes Sedai from the darkfriend party.

Egwene has a special ability not seen in the white tower for a long time. I like the idea of the legendary abilities returning with the Dragon reborn.

Nynaeve is really annoying. I don't know why she is so angry towards the Aes Sedai and Moraine in particular. She holds a grudge against Moraine for everything that has happened despite knowing the truth. It makes me wonder how she became wisdom at such a young age because she acts totally irrationally. I also don't understand why she thinks having her temper and lashing out at people is acceptable it doesn't seem to fit where she is from as they don't seem to accept people acting out.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Verin might be my second favorite female character. It's hard to say thought because I have a bit of a love hate relationship with most of them because Jordan's seemingly dated views on women in general. Or maybe it's just his inability to write strong likable women.

I guess at least his female characters have agency..

message 5: by Sumant (new)

Sumant | 522 comments I have a theory about Selene, I think she is (view spoiler).

Also I enjoyed the parallel world thing where in Rand gets trapped with sniffer and the Ogier. Also he finally starts to embrace Saidin although with lot of skepticism. The parallel worlds are really interesting concept because it shows us that the wheel weaves different patterns at the same time.

Nyaneve no wonder is worst character in this series because she tries to control everyone and everything I think she is the perfect Aes sedai.