The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE > CYNTHIA'S 100 MOVIES WATCHED IN 2015/2106

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Hello Cynthia. Here is your new thread and below are directions and an example of the format to be used. Get out the popcorn and find your special spot to watch some great movies.

We put in the Month in caps and bold and then we number all of the movies consecutively: - we try to add the cover, Finish Date:, Rating, then do a short review. I have included a sample. Very similar to the 50 Books so you should do fine but a few variations and the bolding.

JANUARY

1. Secretariat

Secretariat The Making of a Champion by William Nack by William Nack

Rating: A

Finished: January 2016

Review:

Loved this film.

Penny Chenery Tweedy and colleagues guide her long-shot but precocious stallion to set, in 1973, the unbeaten record for winning the Triple Crown.

The Reading Bibliophile | 17 comments Jill wrote: "Hello Cynthia. Here is your new thread and below are directions and an example of the format to be used. Get out the popcorn and find your special spot to watch some great movies."

Thank you Jill!!!

message 3: by The Reading Bibliophile (last edited Mar 06, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

The Reading Bibliophile | 17 comments JANUARY

1. Mon oncle

description

directed by Jacques TATI (1958 ; France)

Monsieur Hulot visits the technology-driven world of his sister, brother-in-law, and nephew, but he can't quite fit into the surroundings.

Rating: A+

Review: This movie is a masterpiece. It is almost a silent film with a comic persona (Mr Hulot) in the same vein as films with/by Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton.
It is both funny and sad in a poetic sense, very modern with quaint touches.

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 177 comments Here's a Rober Ebert review of another Mr. Hulot movie that I loved.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/gre...

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I love Tati's works. Mon Oncle is hysterical as Mr. Hulot tries to deal with the modernity of his sister and her family's surroundings. Great choice.

message 6: by The Reading Bibliophile (last edited Feb 25, 2016 11:00AM) (new)

The Reading Bibliophile | 17 comments Jimmy wrote: "Here's a Rober Ebert review of another Mr. Hulot movie that I loved.

Thank you, Jimmy!
Les vacances de M. Hulot is a classic. I've seen bits of it, but I definitely have to take time to sit comfortably on my sofa with a cup of tea and watch it.
Thank you also for the link. It is an incredible website.

The Reading Bibliophile | 17 comments Jill wrote: "I love Tati's works. Mon Oncle is hysterical as Mr. Hulot tries to deal with the modernity of his sister and her family's surroundings. Great choice."

Thank you, Jill! The garden dinner scene at his sister's house is so funny. Memorable. Laughed my head out.

message 8: by The Reading Bibliophile (last edited Mar 06, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

2. Burnt

description

directed by John WELLS (2015 ; USA)

Rating: D

Review: Despite the good acting and the pretty shots of food (yummy), the beautiful cooking, the fast pace and the hot rush, this movie is full of clichés. Young chef, Michelin étoilé, kind of enfant terrible of the world gastronomy, really messed things up a couple of years ago in Paris due his horrible temper and destructive outbursts of rage. He leaves everything, goes to Louisiana, opens a million oysters (!) and goes back to a European kitchen, this time in London. Well, he just walks up to some guy, a vague friend of his, and tells him: "Give me your restaurant." Why? "Because your father wanted me to take the lead of your restaurant." Yeah, well. There's a girl working there as a cook, she's talented, but, no, this is not a working relationship à la Ratatouille but just a "you have to fall for me; I'm the enfant terrible of the world cuisine, remember." Useless.

message 9: by The Reading Bibliophile (last edited Mar 06, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

3. The Visit

description

directed by M. Night Shyamalan (2015 ; USA)

Rating: C+

Review: Nostalgic of the Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, I looked forward to watching The Visit since it has been heralded as the "coming back" of M. Night after years of cinematographic slumber. Not quite yet, but promising.
P.S.: If I were a teenager, I would have loved it because of its total creepiness.

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I'm a little disappointed that The Visit wasn't quite up to Shyamalan's other films. His work is unusual and rather appeals to me but this sounds like it might be targeted more to the teen audience.

The Reading Bibliophile | 17 comments Jill wrote: "I'm a little disappointed that The Visit wasn't quite up to Shyamalan's other films. His work is unusual and rather appeals to me but this sounds like it might be targeted more to the teen audience."
The main characters are a 15-year old girl and her 8-year old brother. They are lovely kids, smart, life not always easy for them but they love each other and love their mom very much. So there's a good feeling. I liked that. Nothing dodgy about them.
The photography is nice, there's a warm atmosphere but it gets gradually creepy, you know there's something fishy but you don't know what. I got startled several times and didn't not see the twist coming. So, yes, M. Night is coming back, but there's still work to be done before reaching his Sixth Sense level.
It remains a good film if you take it as it comes :-)

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Thanks.....I might give it a try. M. Night will be hard pressed to come up with another film like Sixth Sense......what a great film.

message 13: by The Reading Bibliophile (last edited Mar 12, 2016 12:48AM) (new)

4. The Martian

description

directed by Ridley Scott (2015; USA)

Rating: A

Review: I enjoyed The Martian very much. Matt Damon is outstanding, Jessica Chastain is wonderful as always. The photography and the sets are breathtaking. And the music, aaah the music...
The consensus on Rotten Tomatoes is "Smart, thrilling, and surprisingly funny". Spot on.

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
Very good

The Reading Bibliophile | 17 comments Bentley wrote: "Very good" Yes, Bentley, a great movie :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.