What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Recent YA Mystery about a teen girl whose parents leave and involves her being interrogated/waterboarded at some point [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patty (new)

Patty | 6 comments Sorry if this is not old enough - my 12-year-old daughter has been searching for a book she started to read only a couple of years ago... so around 2014?

I believe it was a Young Adult fiction/mystery book. She said she remembers there being a picture of a girl in front of a mansion, with mist swirling around, on the cover. She doesn't remember the Author or the Title (except "it might have started with a D"). (We have Googled it several times in all kinds of ways, but she hasn't found the book.)

The part she does remember is that the book opens with the main girl describing what it felt like to have her head being forced under water and feeling like she was going to drown. It sounds like an interrogation? (Like waterboarding.) Then the author/girl says she will go back and tell her story from the beginning.

The beginning: her parents leave (on a trip?), she finds a mysterious mask in the mail delivered to her Dad's shop, she has a party, the police come, and she goes to live with her brother's best friend's family (my daughter didn't really understand what happened to the parents), One character she took fencing lessons with may have been named Sarah.

That's all I've got to go on so far. Thanks!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Karim | 54 comments Sounds interesting, goodluck

message 4: by Patty (new)

Patty | 6 comments Thanks for the list! Didn't see it yet, but will keep looking.

message 5: by Patty (new)

Patty | 6 comments At the library searching - wondering if anyone has any ideas?

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments What country was your daughter in when she read the book?
Part of a series?
Time period/location story takes place?

message 7: by Patty (new)

Patty | 6 comments We live in the United States. She doesn't know if it was a series, and it was fairly modern. May not have taken place in 2015, but probably 2000's. Thanks for asking!

message 8: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments A few more questions:
What type of shop did the dad have?
What kind of mask was it?
What was the mystery that needed to be solved?
Did the girl have any friends, sidekicks, or pets?
Any supernatural elements?

message 9: by Patty (new)

Patty | 6 comments I'm asking her right now. She really only started the book, so doesn't have much to go on.
- She doesn't remember anything about the shop.
- She is picturing an old "drama" mask, but doesn't know that for sure, either.
- The only friend she remembers was the one I wrote about above, a girl named Sarah (or Sara?) who she took fencing lessons with.
- Also not sure about any supernatural elements. She thinks when the girl put the mask on, she heard someone walking in the house, so doesn't know if that was special hearing, or something that was really happening.

Thanks for asking good questions!

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Pretty sure it's Deception Deception (Haunting Emma, #1) by Lee Nichols by Lee Nichols

message 11: by Patty (new)

Patty | 6 comments You're amazing! Thanks so much : ) My daughter was SO excited when she saw this!

message 12: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments yay! Glad the book was found :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Deception (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lee Nichols (other topics)