Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > The Donald Sterling situation ... thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:27AM) (new)

I find it hard to judge this as the guy is obviously racist to a degree I find sickening, and perhaps he deserves it. At the same time, this is 100% an horrendous infringement of privacy. people say stupid things all the time, should they be held accountable as this Wally has been? I don't know the answer. I have only heard the radio comments on the news here and really have no desire to read it further. It will at least send a strong message to everyone, his behaviour is unacceptable.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I understand that the NBA has its own rules of conduct so fining him sounds like an appropriate sanction. Where does that money go? I cannot see how you could force someone to sell their team, though. That seems too invasive.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Now I have gold digger stuck in my head.
I'm going to go read more than just one sentence in the first post.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Barb wrote: "I feel pretty much the same as you, Gail.
I have no sympathy for this racist and letcherous billionaire ... and to some degree I think he had it coming.
BUT ... there are bigger issues at play here..."

Yes, it's like having your husband record you ranting about your boss at home, then sending it to your employer. Really? Should you lose your job over that?

message 5: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments He's a douche but the media have blown this up way beyond what it needs to be.

Attention Al Sharpton: When I snap my fingers, move on.

message 6: by CD (new)

CD  | 1439 comments The NBA is a private organization. The owners and employees are held to and have agreed to a different standard of conduct. Thus freedom of speech doesn't apply, whether a legal statute has been violated doesn't apply, and the league has a lot more skeletons than just this one. Primarily how they continued to let this owner operate at all.

The devil in the details is what is really in the layer upon layer of contracts, partnership agreements, moral behavior clauses, etc. As one legal pundit put it, the real problem with Donald Sterling isn't just that he is a bigot, it is that he is a litigious bigot. Or, this 'ain't' over yet!!