Mock Caldecott 2022 discussion

Mock Caldecott 2017 > 2017 Caldecott Contenders

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 260 comments Mod
The excitement over the 2016 awards is not over yet, but it's time to press on to 2017. The year is off to a great start. So I ask you, "what are you reading?"

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 12 comments The Night Gardener

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Katie wrote: "Arctic White"

Arctic White is stunning.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Ferry (librarygarden) | 79 comments Glow
Freedom on Congo square
Pax

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 5 comments I hear a pickle by Rachel Isadora.

message 7: by Maggi (new)

Maggi Rohde (mama_librarian) | 18 comments Kathy wrote: "The Night Gardener"

I'm assuming you mean the one by Terry & Eric Fan?

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Darrin (katiedarrin) | 5 comments Laura wrote: "Katie wrote: "Arctic White"

Arctic White is stunning."

I agree! So beautiful!

message 10: by Rick (new)

Rick (ricker) | 1 comments Cricket Song - Anne Hunter

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Rick wrote: "Cricket Song - Anne Hunter"

Cricket Song really is lovely.

message 12: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Maggi wrote: "Kathy wrote: "The Night Gardener"

I'm assuming you mean the one by Terry & Eric Fan?"

The Fan brothers live in Canada, doesn't that make it ineligible for the Caldecott?

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Bonnie wrote: "Maggi wrote: "Kathy wrote: "The Night Gardener"

The Fan brothers live in Canada, doesn't that make it ineligible for the Caldecott?"

The author no, the illustrator yes. Too bad. It is spectacular.

message 14: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bevarcher) | 4 comments Kathy wrote: "The Night Gardener"
I loved The Night Gardener.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary N. | 2 comments "Ida, Always"
"Nanuk the Ice Bear"
"Tia Isa Wants a Car"

message 16: by Christie (new)

Christie Angleton Tia Isa Wants a Car was published in 2011.

message 17: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 1 comments The Typewriter by Bill Thomson.

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 4 comments Ida, Always is illustrated by Charles Santoso,
who I believe lives in Australia.

message 19: by Laura (last edited Mar 21, 2016 03:03PM) (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Nancy wrote: "Ida, Always is illustrated by Charles Santoso,
who I believe lives in Australia."

I loved his illustrations in I Don't Like Koala. He is ineligible for the Caldecott because of his residence, unfortunately. It is bittersweet that so many American publishers are now using amazing international illustrators. Wonderful that we get to experience talent from all over the world- sad and frustrating when you find a Caldecott worthy book and discover the illustrator lives outside the U.S. This happened so many times in 2015. Terribly disappointing.

message 20: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 4 comments I agree! We included Sidewalk Flowers in our Mock Caldecott last year even though we knew it wouldn't qualify. I am pleased, however, that we have access to such a diverse pool of illustrators with their unique styles and perspectives.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylwolf) Batman's Dark Secret (Jon Muth). Totally unexpected pairing of gentle watercolors with the young Bruce Wayne.

message 22: by Brina (new)

Brina I recently read How Kate Warne Saved President Lincoln: The Story of the Nation's First Female Detective by Barbara Van Stenwyck (spelling?). Published March 2016. The review is on my page under kids. My apologies if I can't cut/paste here but it should be easy enough to find.
I enjoyed the illustrations of this book and it also told a good story. My 7 and 8 year olds enjoyed it.

message 23: by Angie (new)

Angie  (almemoore) | 25 comments When Spring Comes by Kevin Henkes & illustrated by Laura Dronzek
So bright and colorful! This duo has won before for Kitten's First Full Moon

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Angie wrote: "When Spring Comes by Kevin Henkes & illustrated by Laura Dronzek
So bright and colorful! This duo has won before for Kitten's First Full Moon"

Kitten's First Full Moon was all Kevin Henkes. I believe they did collaborate on Birds. Another beautiful picture book.

message 25: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacydigi) | 37 comments Brina wrote: "I recently read How Kate Warne Saved President Lincoln: The Story of the Nation's First Female Detective by Barbara Van Stenwyck (spelling?). Published March 2016. The review is on my page under ki..."
I loved the illustrations in this book! We are adding this book to my library's collection as it would not only work great for Women's History Month, but also for biography projects. I would have to say it is not Caldecott eligible because I believe the illustrator lives in Turin, Italy.

message 26: by Brina (new)

Brina That's too bad because it's a great biographical book for girls grades 1-3.

message 27: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (booknerd216) | 50 comments Philip Stead' s Ideas are All Around

message 28: by Angie (new)

Angie  (almemoore) | 25 comments I loved Ideas Are all around!

message 29: by Brina (new)

Brina The Kid From Diamond Street: The Extraordinary Story of Baseball Legend Edith Haughton by Audrey Verniick, illustrated by Steven Salerno

message 30: by Justin (new)

Justin D | 1 comments Laura wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Maggi wrote: "Kathy wrote: "The Night Gardener"

The Fan brothers live in Canada, doesn't that make it ineligible for the Caldeco..."

They were both born in the USA (Hawaii and Illinois). Doesn't that make them US citizens, therefore eligible for the award?

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Justin wrote: "Laura wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Maggi wrote: "Kathy wrote: "The Night Gardener"

The Fan brothers live in Canada, doesn't that make it ineligible f..."

The Caldecott criteria specifies that the author would have to be a “Resident”and has established and maintains a residence in the United States, U.S. territory, or U.S. commonwealth as distinct from being a casual or occasional visitor.

message 32: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) | 21 comments Laura wrote: "The Caldecott criteria specifies that the author would have to be a “Resident”and has established and maintains a residence in the United States, U.S. territory, or U.S. commonwealth as distinct from being a casual or occasional visitor. "

Actually, the criteria states that "The award is restricted to artists who are citizens or residents of the United States." It then goes on to define a resident, as Laura quoted. So in this case it depends on whether or not they have U.S. citizenship.

message 33: by Rosie (new)

Rosie | 5 comments There Is a Tribe of Kids (Lane Smith)

This Is Not a Picture Book (Sergio Ruzzier)

The Airport Book (Lisa Brown)

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Rosie wrote: "There Is a Tribe of Kids (Lane Smith)

This Is Not a Picture Book (Sergio Ruzzier)

The Airport Book (Lisa Brown)"

In my opinion, Lane Smith will certainly win a Caldecott for 2017. There is a Tribe of Kids is one of the most amazing picture books I have ever seen. The cover art alone is swoon worthy. It may even be more glorious then his Caldecott Honor book Grandpa Green, which I adored.

message 35: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (booknerd216) | 50 comments So far I have read Cricket Song. I admired Anne Hunter's work. She is illustrating two stories at once. The illustrations at the bottom of every page are so detailed, which is impressive for such little space. She brings the reader on a journey of one sleeping child to another, while never leaving the location of the first sleeping child. In the beginning she describes the breeze blowing in the window and the illustrations on that particular page draws me right in.
Not sure if it is a caldecott winner but I am now a fan!

message 36: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 381 comments The Typewriter by Bill Thomson
Fantastic, realistic acrylic and colored pencil illustrations in a wordless story about a magic typewriter.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Gillis | 8 comments One of my favorites for this year is The Wonderful Habits of Rabbits by Douglas Florian. I love the variety based on the words but the cohesiveness with the rabbits.
The Wonderful Habits of Rabbits by Douglas Florian

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol M | 4 comments I haven't read this yet but I do love Douglas Florian.
Jessica wrote: "One of my favorites for this year is The Wonderful Habits of Rabbits by Douglas Florian. I love the variety based on the words but the cohesiveness with the rabbits.
[bookcover:The Wonderful Habit..."

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber | 1 comments Just finished Quick, Little Monkey! by Sarah Thomson, Illustrated by Lita Judge. I adored this book. The illustrations moved me through the story in such an engaging way.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan Schiller | 39 comments Love When Green Becomes Tomatoes...each poem is uniquely crafted and the artwork is Caldecott worthy.

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Grover (bookwormbychoice) | 5 comments Beverly wrote: "The Typewriter by Bill Thomson
Fantastic, realistic acrylic and colored pencil illustrations in a wordless story about a magic typewriter."

Absolutely loved The Typewriter. The illustrations are gorgeous! Didn't think he could outdo himself on Chalk, but he did!

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Susan wrote: "Love When Green Becomes Tomatoes...each poem is uniquely crafted and the artwork is Caldecott worthy."

The illustrator isn't eligible, sadly. I believe she is a resident of Canada. Sure wish someone would correct me if I am wrong on this. I love her!

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan Schiller | 39 comments Sorry to hear that! Several books I've loved over the last couple of years haven't been eligible!

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Susan wrote: "Sorry to hear that! Several books I've loved over the last couple of years haven't been eligible!"

I have been a huge fan of Julie Morstad for years. Everything she illustrates is stellar. Publishers are seeking international illustrators more and more it seems. You practically have to be a relative of the artist to know if they are eligible for the award. Some of them have dual citizenship.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Grover (bookwormbychoice) | 5 comments I am absolutely in love with Ada's Violin by Susan Hood. Incredible illustrations and great story! Bonus that it's nonfiction.

message 46: by Pepper (new)

Pepper | 1 comments Just read Steamboat School by Deborah Hopkinson (illus. Ron Husband) - illustrations emphasize the text in a very natural, beautiful way. Story is one that should be told (historical fiction in a picture book!)

What To Do With a Box by Jane Yolen (illus. Chris Sheban) - amazing how something as simple as a box can produce such stunning art.

message 47: by C (last edited Nov 14, 2016 08:32AM) (new)

C (maylambs) | 6 comments The Night Gardener by Terry Fan To clear up any confusion--The Night Gardener by the Fan Brothers is ABSOLUTELY eligible since they are both naturalized US citizens. And, have to say, hands down the best premier picture book I've seen in a long time. Definitely worth a look if you haven't read it!

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan Schiller | 39 comments So glad to hear this!

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 15 comments Has anyone read The Polar Bear by Jenni Desmond? Absolutely gorgeous illustrations. One of my favorite this year.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 351 comments Lisa wrote: "Has anyone read The Polar Bear by Jenni Desmond? Absolutely gorgeous illustrations. One of my favorite this year."

It is a stunning book. Check out her book The Blue Whale, too. She is one of my favorite illustrators. Desmond is a London resident.

« previous 1