Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Brazilian Portuguese vs. European Portuguese

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Otavio (new)

Otavio Albano (otavioalbano) | 2 comments * I had already asked this in the Feedback group but got no response *

Is it possible for Goodreads staff to add Brazilian Portuguese to the list of available languages? If so, how can I add an official request that will be read by them? I'm adding a series of books that have been published in Brazil and I have to put them as Portuguese editions. Although both countries (and African ones that also speak Portuguese) speak the same language, there are considerable nuances between them and usually Portuguese and Brazilian editions are completely different. Thanks in advance for all help.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43496 comments Mod
Changing site functionality is not something librarians have any control over.

However, this is just as true for British v. American English, and we seem to manage with just "English" for both.

message 3: by Otavio (last edited Apr 29, 2014 07:18PM) (new)

Otavio Albano (otavioalbano) | 2 comments rivka wrote: "Changing site functionality is not something librarians have any control over.

However, this is just as true for British v. American English, and we seem to manage with just "English" for both."

rivka, first of all, thanks for the answer. Actually the differences between Brazilian and European Portuguese are considerably bigger than American and European English. Some sentences in Portugal are impossible to grasp in Brazil and vice-versa. As a Brazilian, for example, if I find an English book that was translated in Portugal, I prefer to read the original in English than the Portuguese version - and many books already translated in Brazil are translated again in Portugal.

And ok, I know that librarians can't do that. I asked about how to get a response from the staff about adding the Brazilian Portuguese option.