Pulp Fiction discussion

Books and Series > Retro-futuristic alien invasion hard boiled noir?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rylee (last edited Feb 23, 2016 08:54AM) (new)

Rylee Strange (ryleestrange) | 1 comments So after playing The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (which is a 3rd person shooter spin-off of the XCOM strategy series), i've become obsessed with finding a certain type of book. i KNOW it must exist.

I'm looking for something pulpy (either modern, or classic), which includes G-Men or a hardboiled detective-type guy, perfect, pristine post-war America, and alien invasions. Sort of Mars Attacks, but not a comedy.

1950s/60s-inspired. A mix of burgeoning modern America and sci-fi tech. There are bits of that sorta vibe at the beginning of Fallout 4, too. Any ideas?

message 2: by Parker (new)

Parker T. Geissel (parkergeissel) | 3 comments This is a great subject for discussion. I remember a comic book from the 80's, a black and white independent called The Silent Invasion, with the similar theme, 50's alien hysteria. Looks like the collection is available on amazon.

message 3: by Adrien (new)

Adrien (drainster) | 14 comments Gun with Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem.
Philip K. Dick meets Raymond Chandler. Very entertaining. Not aliens but evolved animals and strange human body modifications (adults that look like babies). Highly recommended.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 42 comments Parker wrote: "This is a great subject for discussion. I remember a comic book from the 80's, a black and white independent called The Silent Invasion, with the similar theme, 50's alien hysteria. Looks like the ..."

The Silent Invasion was exactly what I was thinking of when I read the OP--but I'd never have been able to think of the title of it. That's seriously cool that it's available--I'm looking forward to reading that again

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 327 comments Try Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney. Then watch the 1956 movie.