All The Books discussion

First Book!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura Jane (new)

Laura Jane | 19 comments Mod
Yay! Looks like we've got a nice little group forming!

Trying to decide on the first book. Here are some thoughts - suggestions welcome:

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Bear by Claire Cameron

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 6 comments I'm game for any of those. I usually find my niche in dystopian types (Maze runner, some Margaret Atwood, Hunger Games, etc) so I'm open to trying new things! Onward ho, fearless leader.

message 3: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Wheeler | 1 comments Jenna, my taste in books is very similar. You would recommend the Maze Runner? I saw a preview for the movie, and it very much looked up my aisle.

message 4: by Arielle (new)

Arielle (sabinasan) | 5 comments I've read The Night Circus and definitely recommend. :)

message 5: by Alicen (new)

Alicen (alicenl) | 10 comments I'd vote for The Night Circus or Where'd You Go

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin Baker | 1 comments Ill read anything. I have a 3-day weekend coming up without husband and child so I'm ready to read!!!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 3 comments yay! I didn't see anything about this but thank you for adding me! I am dine with classes until Fall and have already devouredMiss Penegrine's Home for Peculiar Children(did not know there was another book after it) and a friend from the book group I've been in for almost 10 years recommended Reconstructing Amelia which I started today.

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 6 comments Absolutely love the maze runner. The night circus is magical!

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Apr 29, 2014 07:40PM) (new)

Sarah Sliva | 1 comments I already read Bernadette - I'm not sure whether that means I should vote for or against this ;)

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Salom (elistar) (elistar) | 1 comments Loved The Night Circus. Those of you who loved TNC should check our The Golem and The Jinni by Helene Wrecker.

message 11: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Riggle | 2 comments I'll pretty much read anything. Loved The Night Circus--but probably wouldn't read it again right now. Either Bernadette or The Bear would be good. A couple of other possibilities: Violet by Rebecca Meacham -- 248 pp. (1st in the Endwar Series--"ghosts, demons, and the mysterious Umbrella Man") OR Love is the Higher Law by David Levithan -- 176 pp. ("Here are three teens whose intertwining lives are reshaped by this catastrophic event [9/11]"). But again, I'm excited to read with ya'll and totally flex about what we read first.

message 12: by Jenie (new)

Jenie | 1 comments The Night Circus or Bernadette are piquing my interest

message 13: by Laura Jane (new)

Excellent! It sounds like where'd you go Bernadette might be a good start for us! I'll set it as our first one!

Also, for some reason, I set the preferences on this group so that yous all couldn't add books to our bookshelf, but in retrospect, that seems like a silly thing to have done. I'll see if I can change that tomorrow and maybe we could create a bookshelf of suggestions for upcoming books?

message 14: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Riggle | 2 comments Sounds good!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (smandina) | 1 comments I requested it at the library! I might be a little behind everyone else because I am in the middle of a very large book!

message 16: by Arielle (new)

Arielle (sabinasan) | 5 comments I also requested a copy at the library, so I may be a little behind as well. There are 30 people ahead of me with three copies floating around. :)

message 17: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso I highly recommend Stoner by John Williams.

message 18: by Victoria (new)

Victoria M. (vicmcjo) | 4 comments Stoner is incredible - a great character study. I've read and enjoyed Night Circus (what a great movie that would make!). I've not read the book you've chosen, so I'm in. I'll get it next.

message 19: by Ani (new)

Ani | 7 comments Are we doing Bernadette for the month of May?

message 20: by Laura Jane (new)

Yep! That's the plan!

message 21: by Ani (new)

Ani | 7 comments Awesome! I'm excited to start it!

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Collins | 1 comments I'm picking up my copy at the library today. Can't wait to get started!

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Got mine today too! Starting tonight :)

message 24: by Alicen (new)

Alicen (alicenl) | 10 comments Yay, my hold copy finally came!

message 25: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Knoll Nakayama | 5 comments What's the next book? I'm having a hard time navigating this app, but it may be bc I haven't slept in days

message 26: by Laura Jane (new)

Bianca, the next book is 'The Ocean At The End Of The Lane' by Neil Gaiman. I'm using the mobile version of the app and I can't find it either. Weird. You should be able to see it on the full web version of goodreads though.

message 27: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Knoll Nakayama | 5 comments Thanks! Looking forward to it!

message 28: by Arielle (new)

Arielle (sabinasan) | 5 comments I finally got notification to borrow Ocean at the End of the Lane! I will be starting it today!