The Orion Team. discussion

TARGET DECK > Peter Nealen: Praetorean PMC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'd like to present for your consideration, my upcoming thriller, "Kill Yuan." I'm still working on it, but I got the pre-order up on Friday, for a May 10 release date.

While "slightly" less geopolitical than the Praetorians thrillers (this one is not part of that series, but completely standalone), it is set against the backdrop of current tensions in the South China Sea.

Quick synopsis: Dan Tackett is slowly dying inside. A recent widower, he's struggling to provide for his two children when an intriguing, and lucrative, job offer comes his way—a counter-piracy mission, with a price tag higher than he's ever seen. He can't resist. He takes the job.
The training is grueling. The secrecy is strict. And the mission is not what he expected.
A Chinese frigate has deserted. Her captain has set himself up to become a pirate kingpin in the South China Sea, right along the primary trade route feeding into the Strait of Malacca. The contractors that Dan has joined have been hired to eliminate the pirates and liberate the oil company personnel on the islands that Captain Yuan has seized.
It's not going to be an easy job, which is why the pay is so high. But it's only going to get harder, because there are other forces at play, including a task force of Chinese Sea Dragon commandos, who have the same mission:
Kill Yuan.

I've put the first chapter up on my blog, with more sample chapters to follow. If anyone is interested in reviewing the book when it comes out, please let me know.

message 2: by Samuel , Director (last edited Feb 23, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Samuel  | 4692 comments Mod
Peter wrote: "Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'd like to present for your consideration, my upcoming thriller, "Kill Yuan." I'm still working on it, but I got the pre-order up on Friday, for a May 10 release date.

Whil..."

Hello Mr Nealen, it's a true privilege for you to join us. The American Praetorian series you've written is by far the most enjoyable dystopian fiction I've read in a very long time. Books 1-3 were outstanding military thrillers. Will come to book 4 once I've cleared the backlog from 2015.

As for your new book....I'm a sucker for thrillers set in Asia, especially one which happens to have the current south China Sea standoff as a backdrop. I might take you up on your offer of reviewing Kill Yuan. I will let you know on this thread with the relevant contact detail.

For now, Do enjoy and explore this group. We have several discussion threads running that you might be interested in. I hope more members of this group, will discover your work and enjoy your books like I have. Thank you, have a nice day.

message 3: by Samuel , Director (last edited Apr 07, 2016 01:33AM) (new)

Members of this group. Do click on the link. It has 5 preview chapters for the following book. The author is very good. And this upcoming thriller of his is no exception.

https://americanpraetorians.wordpress...

Kill Yuan by Peter Nealen

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Thanks, Samuel. I'm a little past halfway through the editing process. Honestly think this is the best I've done yet. I'm getting the hang of this gig.

message 5: by Samuel , Director (new)

Also for group members.
Check out the guns in this upcoming book!
Wide variety. Some very delicious picks.

message 6: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Also for group members.
Check out the guns in this upcoming book!
Wide variety. Some very delicious picks.

https://americanpraetorians.wordpress......"

Interesting. Never knew Singapore's special forces used the Vektor SP1. Always thought they only went with whatever the British were utilizing at the time such as the SIG-Sauer P226 and MP5.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Editing's finished. Just a few more formatting issues for the paperback and it's locked, loaded, and ready to release on the 10th.

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Farman Samuel wrote: "Members of this group. Do click on the link. It has 5 preview chapters for the following book. The author is very good. And this upcoming thriller of his is no exception.

https://americanpraetori..."

On the 'Too Read' list

message 9: by Samuel , Director (new)

That's wonderful Peter.

Ordered this by the way. I couldn't resist and have decided to find out what happens when Jeff Stone heads off to Latin America to hunt a criminal mastermind and some
chaps from the PLA 2nd directorate.
Will write up a review.
The Devil You Don't Know (American Praetorians Book 4) by Peter Nealen

message 10: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Looking forward to your thoughts. I think it's the best of the series so far; it gets rather complex rather quickly.

message 11: by Samuel , Director (new)

Peter wrote: "Looking forward to your thoughts. I think it's the best of the series so far; it gets rather complex rather quickly."

Package received. Time to get to know a possibly homicidal international man of mystery, El Duque! And to get reacquainted with an organization that have become my favorite fictional guns for hire.

The book cover art is even more beautiful in physical form.
By the way, the disclaimer which adorns most books about how 'characters and incidents are drawn from the authors imagination', which are normally a boilerplate message written by the publishers,
did you write the one for your own books up? Got a chuckle out of me.

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Yes, actually I did. It came about after talking to a couple of individuals who became convinced, no matter what I said, that Task Force Desperate was a fictionalized account of operations I'd actually taken part in, but couldn't openly talk about. Which is ridiculous, but once they got the idea in their heads, I couldn't get it out. Hence, the new disclaimer.

message 13: by Samuel , Director (last edited Apr 21, 2016 10:49PM) (new)

Peter wrote: "Yes, actually I did. It came about after talking to a couple of individuals who became convinced, no matter what I said, that Task Force Desperate was a fictionalized account of operations I'd actu..."

Awesome. A very cool little touch.

By the way, I began the first chapter. I have to say more blood was spilled in those 13 pages than the 'Bridge of the America's' action scene in the SICARIO film I watched last year (and I have read your critique regarding the opening scene).
To put it succinctly, it was a great start to the book!

message 14: by Samuel , Director (last edited May 04, 2016 02:14AM) (new)

Finally finished. I found it well written, well researched and very well plotted. That outstanding fictional contemporary dystopia you created continues to impress, the action scenes were heart-stopping, the story continues to ooze with the paranoia and underneath all this, I was impressed at you slotting in a little cautionary tale.

Specifically, I like how you tried to deconstruct the 'decapitation strategy' of paramilitary work along with that the fiction plot trope of "killing the one man to end the madness", that is a foundation of spy fiction and prevalent in post 9/11 thriller fiction.

I commend you for the way you went about this (no spoilers about the neat plot device you used, it shall be between us and whoever follows me and reads the AP series), and also pointing out a relevant lesson, namely that it's not about getting rid of the head of the pack that leaves a long lasting solution, it's taking out as much of the pack as you can, namely the networks and individuals who are important cogs that keep groups like terrorist organizations or drug cartels humming along murderously as the case may be.

The review is under way. Written an introduction and a chunk of a second paragraph. I will not commit to a specific day when I'll have it finished but rest assured, it will be done before the year is out. Perhaps sometimes in the middle of the year.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and have been trying to use the goodreads recommend button to suggest the first three AP books to group members.....

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments I'm glad you liked it. I put a LOT of research into the network-centric, decentralized aspect of modern warfare for it. I think it is safe to say that there will be quite a bit more exploration of that theme in later novels, both within and without the Praetorian series.

message 16: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Incidentally, this was one of my major research tools for "Devil"

http://ndupress.ndu.edu/Portals/68/Do...

It's a long read, but fascinating, and provides a perspective that tends to be sorely lacking in most mainstream media treatment of war, terrorism, and organized crime.

message 17: by Samuel , Director (new)

Peter wrote: "Incidentally, this was one of my major research tools for "Devil"

http://ndupress.ndu.edu/Portals/68/Do...

It's a long read, but fascinating, and provides a perspective ..."

Awesome, thanks. Something I'll be sure to link in my review.

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Today's the day. "Kill Yuan" is now available on Kindle. Paperback's taking a little longer than it has before, but it is coming.

message 19: by Samuel , Director (new)

Well, that's the first goodreads review of "The Devil You Don't Know". Been busy, but found a free opportunity to type, and didn't look back.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Samuel wrote: "Well, that's the first goodreads review of "The Devil You Don't Know". Been busy, but found a free opportunity to type, and didn't look back.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show......"

And an awesome review it is. Thank you, sir!

message 21: by Samuel , Director (last edited May 29, 2016 01:01AM) (new)

Peter wrote: "Ladies and Gentlemen:

Whil..."

Hello again Peter. I may be interested in giving an honest review of "Kill Yuan" (and the first on goodreads) if it's not too late and if you have it on a pdf file that can be emailed.
If you answer to the affirmative, I'll place my email address on this thread (briefly) so you can copy/paste it.

As I've said, I'm a sucker for thrillers in set in Asia and Kill Yuan seems to tick every box. Geopolitically relevant backdrop, setting and conflict. Features the People's Liberation Army SOF as one of the hostile factions. Written by an author who I know will not let me down with the factual details and at the same time write a thrilling, blood splattered, action packed plot.

A question. Was it easier or harder to write a contemporary military thriller compared to the dystopian AP books?

message 22: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Peter wrote: "Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'd like to present for your consideration, my upcoming thriller, "Kill Yuan." I'm still working on it, but I got the pre-order up on Friday, for a May 10 relea..."

Actually, would it be better if I utilized the "contact board"? Might be less clunky.

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Samuel,

It's never too late, especially here on the indie side. The contact board will probably be easier.

Honestly, writing "Kill Yuan" was about on a par with writing the AP books. Most of the far-reaching implications are a little less immediate than in, say "The Devil You Don't Know," though they are still there. Ultimately, it boils down to a paramilitary action/adventure novel, and I'm getting decent at writing those.

It is in third person, which both made things a little different, and made some of the characterization a little easier, since I could head-hop.

message 24: by Samuel , Director (new)

Peter wrote: "Samuel,

It's never too late, especially here on the indie side. The contact board will probably be easier.

Honestly, writing "Kill Yuan" was about on a par with writing the AP books. Most of the ..."

I see. Copy that. Contact board it is. Sending message shortly.

message 25: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Peter wrote: "Samuel,

Honestly, writing "Kill Yuan" was about on a par with writing the AP books..."

Message sent.

message 26: by Samuel , Director (new)

Belatedly posting here.

1) I've finished Kill Yuan.

2) I've started writing the review and have completed the first section of it.

3) I loved the book. Ruthlessly edited and plotted, some very good surprises and you managed to subvert my expectations for certain characters very well indeed. The characterization was also very much on point. quite dynamic and very unpredictable.

What I loved most about it, was that it's a story about a normal, moral guy with a relatively black and white view of life, getting trapped in a situation full of foggy moral gray. The struggle he has trying to preserve his morals to a degree while completing the job as fast as possible was one of the things I found pretty compelling about Dan. And ultimately, he had to make a compromise, of sorts to find his way back home.

Anyhow, do you think it would be possible to make a series out of it? One of the things I found unique about Kill Yuan was that the plot was a perfect closed loop for the two main players (although in Mr Feng's case, his is slightly more open).

Personally, I think you should let it be (would be a challenge to bring Tackett back due to the place he ended up) but maybe you could make a story with a different viewpoint character and have some of the secondary characters return to play a greater role. Like Mr Price for instance.

If you were to make a hypothetical sequel, would Feng and Price play a part? Zhongnanhai may eventually find out that what belonged to them wasn't destroyed like they hoped it was....

Anyhow, I'll stop here.
You did a great job with the novel.

message 27: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments I'm glad you liked it. Looking forward to the review.

At present, I have no plans for a sequel. This was always intended as a standalone. It was one that had just kind of been nagging at the back of my mind for a while, so I knocked it out.

If there was a hypothetical sequel? Hmm... Price would definitely be a player, but I expect Feng Kung will either be freezing his ass off on the smallest coastal outpost they could find on the Bohai Sea, watching the North Koreans starve, or he'd be quietly executed or sent to spend the rest of his miserable life turning big rocks into little rocks, once the impact of the loss of the file hits.

I really have no idea how I'd work a sequel. Got a lot of other projects on deck, so it's probably not going to happen.

message 28: by Samuel , Director (last edited Jul 24, 2016 01:48AM) (new)

Peter wrote: "I'm glad you liked it. Looking forward to the review.

At present, I have no plans for a sequel. This was always intended as a standalone. It was one that had just kind of been nagging at the back ..."

After failing to find a moment of quiet during my trip to Singapore and a disastrous return flight home which sent me several hundred miles to the wrong part of the country I live in, here is the first goodreads review of KILL YUAN!

I hope I haven't botched any story details and I hope you like it. Had a bit of fun picking the opening title quotes for it. The first is a subtle hint about a plot point (the whole reason why Feng is ordered to run the op in the first place), while the second is about the moral ambiguity of the story.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Awesome review, thank you. I believe the descriptive term is "glowing."

message 30: by Samuel , Director (last edited Jul 25, 2016 02:28PM) (new)

Peter wrote: "Awesome review, thank you. I believe the descriptive term is "glowing.""

Hi Peter,

I read on your website that you're currently working on two projects with a "major publisher". Does this mean you'll be one of those authors who has both mainstream and self published works?

And, at this present time, are you at liberty to reveal which publisher's website the 22000 words short story shall appear on and the genre of said short story?

(Is it a military thriller like Kill Yuan? A supernatural fantasy/horror story like the Jed Horn books? Something else? I'm just asking because if it's the first one, it would find a ready place in this groups shelves and discussion posts)

message 31: by Samuel , Director (new)

Peter wrote: "Awesome review, thank you. I believe the descriptive term is "glowing.""

Anyway keep up the good work. I await with bated breath to see how war comes home to the Praetorians in their next appearance.

message 32: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Samuel wrote: "Peter wrote: "Awesome review, thank you. I believe the descriptive term is "glowing.""

Hi Peter,

I read on your website that you're currently working on two projects with a "major publisher". Do..."

Hopefully it will mean both mainstream and indie. We'll see. A lot is still up in the air. And I've said just about all I'm at liberty to say on it at this point.

I will say that the short story is going to be another shooter story, just in an already-established setting (not mine).

message 33: by Samuel , Director (new)

Peter wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Peter wrote: "Awesome review, thank you. I believe the descriptive term is "glowing.""

Hi Peter,

I read on your website that you're currently working on two projects with a "major..."

I see. Well I pray that this venture of yours is successful.

message 34: by Samuel , Director (new)

Oh, just learned about the cover artist of Kill Yuan. Man's work is very good, I hope you retain his services for a future project or two.

message 35: by Samuel , Director (new)

A hunter's tale.
Interesting short story set in the "Dead Six" military thriller fictional universe. A group of shooters go man - hunting in North China......
http://www.baen.com/rock_meet_hard_place

message 36: by Samuel , Director (new)

Lex Talonis, title for Praetorians (5).

English translation is "Eye For An Eye".
That sounds very ominous and smells of impending "Blowback" from the last job Stone and Co took.......

message 37: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Samuel wrote: "Lex Talonis, title for Praetorians (5).

That sounds very ominous and smells of impending "Blowback" from the last job Stone and Co took......."

That's putting it mildly.

message 38: by Samuel , Director (last edited Nov 06, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Peter wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Lex Talonis, title for Praetorians (5).

That sounds very ominous and smells of impending "Blowback" from the last job Stone and Co took....."

Noticed this short but sweet geopolitical assessment you wrote recently. Good stuff. Thoughtful, dispassionate and slicing to the heart of the matter. Is part 2 going to be on the PRC? Or Iran and Saudi Arabia's region spanning, blood splattered, geopolitical chess match? Or something else that no one is going to see coming?

http://www.breachbangclear.com/world-...

message 39: by Samuel , Director (last edited Nov 06, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Peter wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Lex Talonis, title for Praetorians (5).

That sounds very ominous and smells of impending "Blowback" from the last job Stone and Co took....."

And I shudder to think what you have in store for Jeff and the boys. The Devil You Don't Know was the eye of the storm and with that passing them by, they're now in the storm. Something tells me the cast is going to have more vacant spots opening at a faster rate than in the previous books. A question, will we be seeing the Praetorian ranch a bit more in Lex Talonis? Home is where the heart is and that would be high on their enemies hit list.

message 40: by Samuel , Director (new)

And this article on body armor is most interesting. I'll be posting it on the "Down the Barrel" thread if that's alright with you. http://www.breachbangclear.com/rthe-r...

message 41: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Oh, yes, we will definitely be seeing The Ranch a bit. I think it is safe to say that the wars are going to be coming home in a big way. There's going to be backlash going back to at least "Alone and Unafraid."

message 42: by Samuel , Director (last edited Dec 10, 2016 09:17PM) (new)

Peter wrote: "Oh, yes, we will definitely be seeing The Ranch a bit. I think it is safe to say that the wars are going to be coming home in a big way. There's going to be backlash going back to at least "Alone a..."

Just read the opening. Oh boy, so this is it. The big job. No comebacks or happy endings. But at least Jeff is not going quietly into the night. Not his style and whether his end is glorious or ignoble, it will never be.

message 43: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments And that's just the edge of the storm front. There's FAR worse to come.

Chapter 2 will be dropping later today.

Alea iacta est.

message 44: by Samuel , Director (new)

Peter wrote: "And that's just the edge of the storm front. There's FAR worse to come.

Alea iacta est."

Just read. Holy cow you weren't joking. At this rate, I'll be making a dead pool. Odds of cast member making it out alive. And will Jeff run into the chap who did Jim in? Hope he does..... #FirstNameOnHitList

message 45: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Peter wrote: "And that's just the edge of the storm front. There's FAR worse to come.

Alea iacta est."

Just read. Holy cow you weren't joking. At this ra..."

At any rate. This is going to such. For the home team AND the opposition.

message 46: by Samuel , Director (new)

Just seen chapter 3. A beautifully written look into the world of a man whose life is slipping through his grasp. Whether he can get a firm grip on it shall be seen.

message 47: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel wrote: "Just seen chapter 3. A beautifully written look into the world of a man whose life is slipping through his grasp. Whether he can get a firm grip on it shall be seen.

https://americanpraetorians.w..."

Oh boy....Red for dead. Who will be the last soldier of fortune standing?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XH4BPBG/

message 48: by Peter (new)

Peter Nealen | 46 comments Probably going to be a few more survivors than I initially thought, but the roster is shrinking, yes.

message 49: by Samuel , Director (new)

Peter wrote: "Probably going to be a few more survivors than I initially thought, but the roster is shrinking, yes."

Seems I might have to make a proverbial "Dead Pool". Measuring the odds now that some of the cast have gone to a better place in the preview chapters.....

message 50: by Samuel , Director (new)

Peter wrote: "Probably going to be a few more survivors than I initially thought, but the roster is shrinking, yes."

And I'm wondering if The Broker is a benevolent God who rewards the pawns that are useful to him, or the malicious kind which throws them in the rubbish bin after using them......I think he's just better at hiding it than the chap from The Network who nearly got a .45ACP in the face at the end of "The Devil You Don't Know".

« previous 1