The City (The City, #1) The City discussion

I would like to ask what you think of this Quote?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sally Lindsay-briggs I liked this quote from the City by Dean Koontz "Creation moves and astonishes if you let it. When I realize how unlikely it is that anything at all should live on this world spun together from dust and hot gases, that creatures of almost infinite variety should at night look up at the stars, I know that it's all more fragile than it appears, and I think maybe the only thing that keeps the Earth alive and turning is our love for it."

message 2: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Round It sounds fine, until you realise that we are really destroying the world, not loving it.

Sally Lindsay-briggs Julie, You have to read into the quote to understand. My take on it is that because of our love for the earth, we can overcome the things that have been done and improve the situations. It also makes the reader think about the creation of the stars and just how awesome they are, especially seen from a city/town.

Robert I normally gloss over paragraphs like that. I'm not a slow enough reader to disect deep philosophical writings.

message 5: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb I think it all revolves around "if you let it", because love happens only when we're open to the movement and astonishment of it. I do see the bigger idea of how vast, marvelous and utterly fragile our world is but usually Koontz is about the story and I'm sure he was refocusing his reader, as well as his characters, to consider further possibilities available in that moment. It is a beautiful quote and I'm grateful you felt moved enough to ask the question. Thank you.

message 6: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Round Koontz is one of my favourite authors, especially Odd Thomas.

message 7: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb LOVE Odd Thomas! I'm really liking his latest Jane Hawk as well.

Sally Lindsay-briggs The latest Jane Hawk novel "The Whispering Room" is fantastic.

Rowan Hugz Sally wrote: "I liked this quote from the City by Dean Koontz "Creation moves and astonishes if you let it. When I realize how unlikely it is that anything at all should live on this world spun together from dus..."

I just finished this book and I have to say it left me scratching my head. I love Koontz, generally, especially his humor. I felt the word "love" was not the best choice for that quote. In my humble opinion, I would rather have read "grateful" there for it to "feel" better.

message 10: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Round I need to know the Jane Hawk novels in order to try them. I've got the Silent Corner out of the library but I haven't started it yet.

Sally Lindsay-briggs Yes, Julie, I believe that is the first book. I read the Whispering Room first and it stood alone-a super book.

Rebecca Julie wrote: "I need to know the Jane Hawk novels in order to try them. I've got the Silent Corner out of the library but I haven't started it yet."

The Silent Corner is fantastic, I couldn't put it down, you will definitely love Jane Hawk!