paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

The Wolf's Hour (Michael Gallatin #1)
This topic is about The Wolf's Hour
group reads archive > The Wolf's Hour 100% spoilers - Robert McCammon - March Group Read!

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maxine Marsh (last edited Feb 23, 2016 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
Hi guys!

The Wolf's Hour has narrowly won the group read for March. The thread will be marked 0% for spoilers/progress until the first weekend of the month.

Feel free to get the discussion started.

Enjoy :)

message 2: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Will start it next week! :)

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
I'm in

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I really want to read this but I'm lagging behind with other reads so I don't think I'll be able to join in. :(

Char This is such a great book! I hope you guys enjoy it. (I might pop in here and there to see what everyone things.) :)

message 6: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I still can't figure out how I missed this one in my early McCammon infatuation.... At least I've read BOY'S LIFE now!!! :D ;)

Terry | 49 comments I plan on starting this one next week also. Looking forward to it.

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments I loved this one. James Bond as a werewolf taking on the Nazis. How this never made it to the silver screen is beyond me! I'll definitely be popping in!

Terry | 49 comments I've read the prologue and started into chapter one. Interesting start so far, right into the action.

25% discussion from here

Can't wait to start this one, I've also read the prologue.

11% (view spoiler)

I was going to check the used bookstore for this one and didn't get around to it. I will have to go look tomorrow after work, if i can't get it there i will go to the library.

message 14: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I'm about where Maxine is! (view spoiler)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 267 comments I'm gonna ninja lurk this thread too. I had mixed thoughts on the book. I liked the werewolf stuff but not the other stuff.

11811 (Eleven) wrote: "I'm gonna ninja lurk this thread too. I had mixed thoughts on the book. I liked the werewolf stuff but not the other stuff."

Yeah, the werewolf parts leading up to the 20% mark are very intriguing and dramatic. The war stuff seems a bit cheesy...

Finally got to 25%. I'm more into the story now. Michael has (view spoiler)

Terry | 49 comments I'm at 25% also. (view spoiler)

Terry | 49 comments Also, (view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 299 comments Oh Good Gravy. I forgot this has started up. I need to get started on the book. I will start it and post the 25% mark notes and comments later tonight. I'm still finishing up Life by Keith Richards . Will be back later...

message 21: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments 25%... The part where the other man/wolf dies was incredible! I really hope that they go into how the worms got into his system. Obviously, based on their eating habits, I'm guessing that it has to be something different--maybe a "virus" or something???

I'm finding that I really enjoy learning about the wolves much more than the political chapters.

50% spoilers from here out

I checked the library and used book store and couldn't find it, it's already 50% in though now so I'm just going to skip it. I will have to very a copy later and then read through this thread.

Terry | 49 comments I'm only at the 33% mark, but I'm still enjoying it. Curious to find out why our main character has ended up as a spy in the first place.

message 25: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Still at 29%.....

Terry | 49 comments I've made it to 50%. (view spoiler)

Terry | 49 comments Sorry, spoiler tag is a habit...

message 28: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Michael not wanting Gaby to go to Berlin with him made sense to me. He knew that it wouldn't work (he couldn't accomplish his mission AND worry about her safety), and Gaby had her own job to do in France.

message 29: by Maxine Marsh (last edited Mar 18, 2016 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

At 51%. I think Gaby will probably pop back in at some point. At least I hope she wasn't just there as a Bond girl type but who knows?

I really really liked the flashback chapters a lot. Michael's fight with the berserker was great! The spy chapters are a little bit dry but I still wonder if he might run into a Nazi wolf at some point. That would be awesome.

message 30: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I have to say that the flashback scenes are my favorite, as well! The berserker was the perfect way to showcase Michael's early "survival/fighting" skills.

message 31: by Terry (last edited Mar 18, 2016 04:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terry | 49 comments I wondered the same thing about running into a Nazi werewolf at some point too, maybe a rival we'll get from the flashbacks.

message 32: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Terry wrote: "I wondered the same thing about running into a Nazi werewolf at some point too, maybe a rival we'll get from the flashbacks."

I'm figuring that HAS to happen at some point, considering half of the book is about the war...

message 33: by Maxine Marsh (last edited Mar 21, 2016 05:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

75% spoilers are a go!

message 34: by Maxine Marsh (last edited Mar 21, 2016 05:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I got through 50% to 75% pretty quickly, the spy aspect picked up and was much more interesting. One part that got me (view spoiler).

Thanks maxine i just realized i forgot yesterday.

message 36: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Maxine wrote: "I got through 50% to 75% pretty quickly, the spy aspect picked up and was much more interesting. One part that got me [spoilers removed]."

That part got to me, too.... :(

Justin wrote: "Thanks maxine i just realized i forgot yesterday."

I just changed it so I could comment ;)

message 38: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Maxine wrote: "Justin wrote: "Thanks maxine i just realized i forgot yesterday."

I just changed it so I could comment ;)"

LOL! I was itching to get in that one, too!!!

message 39: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments (view spoiler)

Terry | 49 comments I'm up to 73% now. I'm liking the 3rd quarter the best so far also. I was surprised by Mouse, but even more saddened by what happened with the wolf pack (although you could see it coming). Kimberly, if you're still at 75%, (view spoiler)

Terry | 49 comments I finished today. I ended up really liking it overall. I think McCammon does an excellent job making characters you can believe in, and that is definately what I thought about Michael. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I'm finished--just waiting for the spoilers to change to 100%! :D

100% from here.

message 44: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Overall, I was more into the sections that showed Michael's early upbringing with his wolf family. I was VERY surprised that they didn't bring Petyr back, or at least have Michael trying to find out what happened to him.

I found the spy info more dry, at first, but the last quarter of the book was much faster paced.

Another thing--did anyone pick up on who the "chauffeur" in the beginning was? Michael mentioned 2 other people who knew what he was. Just curious as to whether or not he was also lycanthrope.

Yikes, finally finished this one a day or two ago! Loved it!

I figured McCammon stuck the 'kid' angle in there in case he wanted to write a sequel one day.

message 46: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I was a bit disappointed he didn't play a role later on (Petyr). Overall, I liked the fact that Michael retained his humanity, but would have liked much more on how he got to the spy angle, and who the chauffeur was....

Yes for the subject and possible backstory, the time scale of the spy stuff was actually pretty short.

Terry | 49 comments There isn't a sequel, but there is a book of short stories that McCammon wrote that are all stories with Michael Gallatin in them. It's called The a Hunter in the Woods. I haven't read it, but maybe the storylines with the chauffeur or Petyr are picked up there?

Terry wrote: "There isn't a sequel, but there is a book of short stories that McCammon wrote that are all stories with Michael Gallatin in them. It's called The a Hunter in the Woods. I haven't read it, but mayb..."

Yes, I got The Hunter in the Woods in a Humble Bundle last year and its on my kindle. I guess McCammon's been too busy writing Matthew Corbin sequels to get back to the wolves :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Life (other topics)