Play Book Tag discussion

The Nightingale
This topic is about The Nightingale
February 2016: World War II > The Nightingale/Hannah - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6288 comments Well, there's no doubt Kristin Hannah is a good storyteller.

Here she tells a compelling tale of two sisters during World War II. Each sister fights evil in her own unique way, and Hannah does a good job of developing her characters and involving the reader in their stories. There were also some very touching moments in this book, and I believe that was why it has been rated so highly. One plotline in particular really moved me emotionally, and that's always a good thing!

However, the writing itself is very simplistic. I feel someone as young as 13 could readily read this book, no problem. It's not marketed as YA, but it had a very YA feel to me throughout. For me, I just want something more to award that fifth star . . .an interesting structure, beautiful or unique use of the language, original style, something . . .and this book didn't deliver any of those elements.

message 2: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Between your and Nicole D's review, I guess I willfinally cave and this to my TBR.

Susie | 4488 comments I agree Anita. I really enjoyed it, but it didn't make it to five. As we've discussed, I impulsively gave it five but upon reflection I've decided it's a four star read. Great, but not as great as other WW2 novels I've read.

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Sara wrote: "Between your and Nicole D's review, I guess I willfinally cave and this to my TBR."

Ha! Yes, I'm thinking this has also convinced me to add this to my tbr, as well!

Anita Pomerantz | 6288 comments Sara wrote: "Between your and Nicole D's review, I guess I willfinally cave and this to my TBR."

To be fair, Sara, I would probably give it 3.5 if we had half stars. I definitely enjoyed it, but it wasn't the "wow" for me that it seems to have been for many others.

message 6: by JoLene (last edited Feb 23, 2016 10:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I really enjoyed this one --- I listened to it on audio. I think that I actually like more simplistic writing on audio ;-). I gave it 4.5 stars but did call out the quality of writing in my review as to why I deducted 1/2 star.

message 7: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Anita wrote: "Sara wrote: "Between your and Nicole D's review, I guess I willfinally cave and this to my TBR."

To be fair, Sara, I would probably give it 3.5 if we had half stars. I definitely enjoyed it, but i..."

Thanks for the warning. I think I will probably be okay, but I don't expect to love it. Historical fiction can be tricky.

message 8: by Brandy (last edited Feb 24, 2016 06:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brandy (romansgirl) | 87 comments Scrolled quickly through the comments to avoid any possible spoilers. Listening to the audio on this one now. Can't wait to come back and comment!

Anita Pomerantz | 6288 comments Sara wrote: "I think I will probably be okay, but I don't expect to love it. ."

I think you will be good then. I went in with about the same expectations!