Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > Group Read - The Verdict Part 3 Ch 54-76 Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Spoilers welcome!
This segment of the book discussion covers the beginning of the third part: The Verdict 287-386 for 99 pages.
If the first to post could provide a short summary to guide the discussion it will be appreciated!

message 2: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments 54: Video shows it was a woman, not Terry, who went in & killed Fabia.
55: Kopf fires Terry but he is reinstated on condition that he be chaperoned when doing field work.
56: Karen is furious Terry didn't call her from jail.
57: Terry is relegated to genuine file clerk duties.
58: Terry circulates his CV, not no leads.
59: Terry rummages through Kopf's files & the Rhodesian connection resurfaces.
60: Terry reads old news clips about slum lord Scott Nagle, Kopf's longtime client.
61: Melissa & Terry kiss. He stops it there & leaves.
62: Swayne connects the dots for Terry: Kopf wants them to lose VJ's case.
63: Terry is being watched. He tells Karen to go into hiding out of town.
64: Wife & kids away, Terry finds out his son Ray was mimicking him by researching VJ himself.
65: Terry tries but fails to slip VJ a note to fire KRP.
66: Kopf tells Terry in passing that Swayne is dead.
67: Terry fears "they" were trying to kill him, not Swayne.
68: Terry meets Steff, Swayne's lover, who puts a human touch on Swayne.
69: A Eurasian woman follows Terry on the train.
70: She and a big, bald guy (Jonas, Rudy's roommate) grab Terry. She tries to inject Terry with something. A car accident and a street riot help Terry escape.
71: Terry, a recovering alcoholic, gets drunk. He sees the car "accident" he was in broadcast on the news.
72: Police are on the lookout for Terry to question him about the incident.
73: Terry takes refuge for dinner with his alcoholic but endearing family in Stevenage.
74: Terry thinks Kopf framed VJ on behalf of Scott Nagle.
75: Terry tells Janet his theory. The trial begins and Christine's opening argument is strategically critical of VJ's S&M.
76: Terry visits Swayne's friend Miriam, mother of Thomas Nagle's illegitimate son (& Scott's half-brother).

message 3: by Ann (last edited Mar 06, 2016 07:41PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments The tide really turned in this part! Terry's involvement in the actual case is much more real than just the prior history with Vernon at Cambridge. We almost began to think of Terry as simply the investigator / clerk. ( on the audio whenever they call him a "clark" I think of Scrooge and his "clark" Bob Cratchit)
Now he is in the midst of a conspiracy / set up involving some seriosly bad people. He was intended to be the next victim while in the hands of his kidnappers. What a close call.

Karen and the kids fade a bit into the background and Terry does a lot of soul searching as former love Melissa is hurt and vulnerable and his future life seems to be either on the cusp of professional success or ruin. I enjoyed the glimpses into the past, his struggles against alcohol become clearer, and his family life as a child explained much. His mother is kind and loyal. Terry shows those traits in his adult life as a loving father and a determined worker upholding the law and defending his former friend.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments I was reeling in this part from the murder of Fabia and Terry's near death experience with the kidnappers. This book is keeping me on the edge of my seat.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments I was so, SO sad about Swayne's death. He was not entirely candid with Terry, I guess Kopf had too much of a hold over him, but I somehow saw him as an ally. Now Terry is kind of alone.

I was also saddened by his relapse. I worry that he won't be able to stop, but so far he has not re-relapsed.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Ann wrote: "Karen and the kids fade a bit into the background and Terry does a lot of soul searching as former love Melissa is hurt and vulnerable .."

I was worried that Terry's interlude with Melissa would escalate into an affair (I was shouting "no, No, NO!" when she asked him to come over and he said "yes.") I'm not sure she meant it maliciously, but I thought she showed her true colors with her parting remark about the difference between Terry and VJ being that VJ knew what he wanted and went after it. I thought of a retort hours later (isn't that always the way?) and would have had him say "is that what VJ did while we were dating?". Take that!!!! ;-)

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Ann wrote: "We almost began to think of Terry as simply the investigator / clerk. ( on the audio whenever they call him a "clark" I think of Scrooge and his "clark" Bob Cratchit).."

I had to go and look this up as I kept hearing "clark" and wondered if that were how it was spelled.

I find it fascinating to discover the words that are spelled the same way but pronounced differently in the UK. I wonder how that came to be, since the original US settlers were British. And then there's the word pronounced "aluminium" which I think is spelled and pronounced in the U.S. as "aluminum."

message 8: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments I have a comment in response to Jack's comment in the last section thread that, "I suspect Terry will get the fabia thing cleared up and not get in trouble."

I didn't want to post in that section because it would have spoiled the beginning of this section, but you were so right, Jack!

I, on the other hand, was totally fooled by the end of Part II. I thought wow, the rest of the book could be about Terry's trial, and The Verdict title refers to the verdict in his trial, not VJ's only to find a very short time later that he was out of jail and back on the case.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Russ and Jack:
I was glad that the arrest of Terry was premature, The police seem to have an "arrest now investigate later" attitude. First they don't check on the credentials of visitors (Terry or the woman) then they jump to conclusions, and then they are not forthcoming after they figure it out. Not terribly fair.
Russ wrote: "I have a comment in response to Jack's comment in the last section thread that, "I suspect Terry will get the fabia thing cleared up and not get in trouble.
I didn't want to post in that section because it would have spoiled the beginning of this section, but you were so right, Jack! ..."

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Yes Carol - Terry really scares us with his flirting with disaster by being with Melissa and later by completely falling off the wagon and drinking.
Terry with his family, "No I am not drinking (16 hours sober)" yikes, what a contrast to his last streak of sober days. And the way he describes drinking, he loved it. I hope he loves Karen and the kids more.
I don't like Melissa much for coming on to Terry.

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Carol, these two things...Swayne's death and Terry's relapse were the two most disturbing things in this section for me too. I'm afraid Terry isn't seeing whats really good in his life - Karen and the kids- by trying to get back what he thinks he lost.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I was so, SO sad about Swayne's death. He was not entirely candid with Terry, I guess Kopf had too much of a hold over him, but I somehow saw him as an ally. Now Terry is kind of alone.

I was also..."

message 12: by Jack (last edited Mar 08, 2016 05:39AM) (new)

Jack | 179 comments I feel the same and was saying the same no, no, no! As you carol. The death of Andy was sad and left terry on his own. I was glad when he finally got through to Janet and now has help fighting back. The sid kopf, Scott Nagle thing is not clear to me yet, and the building plan Andy led terry to is still to be explained. I wonder if any of it comes back to vj's dads murder at all. I dont think so and the revelation of his dad being abusive and strangling his mum may be a back story the aurthor is using to help create sympathy for vj going into the trial.
I'm sorry if I put my foot in it about terry's murder allegation. I just thought it would be easy for him to alibi out given what happened and security footage of the police station.
His decision to get DCI Reid to hear his side of the story was a good one for the trial but so bad for his family. Terry's comment after making up with his wife was dodgey, wasn't it? Something like he pretended he was sorry but didn't mean it. I hope he does the right thing by his family in the end.
The kidnap scene was hard to follow and didn't understand fully until explained later. I initially thought the cops thought he shot people but then it was clarified the baldie shot them trying to hit him. I find it strange he blew off his family when they were worried about him and didn't come clean and help explain the trouble he was in and why he sent them away to keep them safe.
Does anyone else get annoyed the way a cliffhanger I dropped then the story goes on like nothing happened but give a quick recap later? I look back and try to find a missing page in the book and freak out wanting to know how it got to where it is. This was the case at the call to Janet then the next page was them meeting for the trial.
I'm glad the trial is finally starting and we get chistines character in full flight. Will be riveting conclusion. I still have my culprit in mind, I thought it was going to be completely off the mark after reading that section but I still think its a chance.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Jack: I thought the kidnap scene was hard to follow too. We suspected what being injected with that syringe would mean, so the riot interruption and diversion was certainly welcome for such a close call.
Terry really seems to have lost himself in the case about now, not calling Karen when he was arrested was the serious indicator that he was off the rails and not thinking clearly, and if seemed he was going to jeopardize his future with his family as he didn't grasp how his actions were hurtful.
We don't know for sure, but Karen seems to indicate this was the first time she saw him deeply engaged in his work, not necessarily a bad thing, but potentially ruinous to his family life.
The fact that someone wants to kill Terry after the deaths of David Stratten and Swayne adds a high level of tension and explains taking to the police, but I was not sure it would benefit Terry or VJ.