Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > LizH's April

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments So with baseball starting, and the hockey playoffs, plus events with kids in college and starting a new job, but totals weren't like my laid-off March, but very respectable! Reading all-over the place, lol!

19. LIVE TO TELL by Lisa Gardner 4.5 Should be 4.5 stars. This book was a run-away train with no driver. Kept me guessing, kept me engaged. When I wasn't reading this book, I was thinking about this book. Will continue with the series!
20. THE LOOK OF LOVE by Bella Andre 3.5/5 Quick read and fairly predictable, with lots and lots of sex, but like-able characters and setting. Good romance, not the typical boy gets girl, boy looses girl, boy gets girl back, but more of a instantly fall in love and have hot sex book. One of the Sullivan brothers rescues a girl on the side of the road, and falls in love. Will continue with the series until I get tired of the sex, or characters, but so far so good!
21. FROM THIS MOMENT ON by Bella Andre 3.5/5 Continuation of series, and more of the same instant love and hot sex. This has the Winery owner falling in love with the famous pop star. Cheezy, but it works.
22. CANT HELP FALLING IN LOVE by Bella ANDRE 3.5/5 Still going strong, this one is the one with the firefighting brother, and the woman he rescues. Liked this one a little better.
23. WE ARE COMPLETELY BESIDE OURSELVES by Karen Joy Fowler 1/5 Couldn't get into this one, and I did really try...made it to 27%. Unusual writing style seems to be the problem! Didn't care about the characters as they were as prickly as the writing!
24. MISSING YOU by Harlan Coben 4/5
Another roller coaster read from Coben, with a excellent twist at the end that I did not see coming! A little hard to follow, and a little disjointed-ness with several plot lines going at once which kept me guessing, but I suppose that was the point.
25. THE COLLECTOR by Nora Roberts 4/5 A little wordy, and a little long, found myself skimming towards the end, but nobody does relationships better than Nora. Good read, good mystery, great relationship, just about 100 pages too long

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14175 comments Liz: well you have certainly been a busy woman!
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves It was the Nashville City-wide book back in March and I listened to it on audio which might have made a difference. I essentially loved it, it was fascinating and thought provoking. I am still kicking myself for not getting a ticket to see Karen Joy Fowler speak on it at the main library. I had it lined up to read for a few months so when I started it I didn't go back and read any of the reviews or comments or even the summary so I was listening to it "blind". In my case the story really did start in the middle and I found the story style intriguing.

LizH wrote: "So with baseball starting, and the hockey playoffs, plus events with kids in college and starting a new job, but totals weren't like my laid-off March, but very respectable! Reading all-over the place..."

message 3: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Ann, if I didn't have my mountain of TBR. I may have stuck it out, as I was intrigued, but obviously not enough to continue. And really not that busy, couldn't even manage to get out of my pj's on Sunday, lol!!

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Good month, Liz. Wonder why editors can't see when a book is just too long.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7759 comments Liz, you sure got in early on your April reads! Despite a busy schedule you still got in a good selection. Am intrigued by your comment on Missing You, and I'd better hurry up and finish so I can see what you're talking about.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3586 comments I'm waiting for MISSING YOU to call my name so I can get interested in it. 2 chapters in it hasn't grabbed me. But then I'm not a big fan of Harlan's standalones anyway.

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3465 comments hopefully when I catch up with arcs that I need to read/review I can get back to missing you. I love bella's books haven't read one in awhile but have a few on the nook and I believe real paper ones on the pile someplace.

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3465 comments My sister asked if I knew about Nora's book this morning I told her yes have to see if I can get thee book.

message 9: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Daniel, sometimes with big time authors you have to wonder if there is actually an editor...

message 10: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments LizH wrote: "Daniel, sometimes with big time authors you have to wonder if there is actually an editor..."

Couldn't agree with you more, Liz.

message 11: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Liz, I have the same problem. Been busy watching baseball games and NBA playoffs.

message 12: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments If my husband wouldn't run commentary during the games, I could probably get more reading done, lol!

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7759 comments It's baseball and hockey for me... the basketball season was a big fat nothing for me, and between the games and the Sterling brouhaha I'm ready for next year!

I can't read and watch games, though. That's when I bring out my ipad for games or my knitting and crocheting.

message 14: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I am baseball and hockey too, and of course football in the fall. Never liked basketball. I usually play games on my iPad while watching sports, except hockey, too fast, too exciting. DH talks mostly during the games, so it's better to play than read.

message 15: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3586 comments I don't like basketball either. Don't mind a little college March Madness, especially when teams I actually care about are in there, but pro basketball I can totally do without. Baseball is good at the park, but on TV it bores me to death!

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14175 comments Which makes baseball good for reading while tv watching!

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7759 comments Ann wrote: "Which makes baseball good for reading while tv watching!"

Correct, sort of, except I play iPad games rather than read bec if the pitchers are good on either side, or my team is up to bat I like to watch. If it's moving too slowly (or we are being beaten up on) I watch something else.

message 18: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Yes, Carol, tough night for both our teams :(

message 19: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "It's baseball and hockey for me... the basketball season was a big fat nothing for me, and between the games and the Sterling brouhaha I'm ready for next year!

Carol, Texas Rangers will be playing the Red Sox on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'll be at Sunday's game, about 6 rows from the first base line. Great Mother's Day gift!!

message 20: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7759 comments What a lucky gal you are, Lorraine! I'll look for you in the stands, LOL.

Brakedrum wrote: "
Carol, Texas Rangers will be playing the Red Sox on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'll be at Sunday's game, about 6 rows from the first base line. Great Mother's Day gift!! ..."

message 21: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "What a lucky gal you are, Lorraine! I'll look for you in the stands, LOL.

Brakedrum wrote: "
Carol, Texas Rangers will be playing the Red Sox on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'll be at Sunday's g..."

Carol, we took the loss, but still enjoyed the game.
The majority of our pitchers are DL. New guys showing up all the time. I think we paid too much for Prince Fielder, we could have had more pitching and kept Napoli for first base.

message 22: by Vanderlleef (new)

Vanderlleef | 25 comments I was just reading your list, Liz. I love Lisa Gardner. I listened to a handful of her books back when I only did audios. I got them from the library, so nothing was in order. Your post has gotten me thinking about starting one of her series from the beginning and reading them in order.

message 23: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Vanderleef, I have always been a Gardner fan. Just started the series and love it!

message 24: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7759 comments Brakedrum wrote: "I think we paid too much for Prince Fielder, we could have had more pitching and kept Napoli for first base. ..."

I agree on Fielder. And we are taking good care of Napoli over here.... But the Sox are stinkin' up the joint so far this season, very disappointing.

message 25: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Brakedrum wrote: "I think we paid too much for Prince Fielder, we could have had more pitching and kept Napoli for first base. ..."

I agree on Fielder. And we are taking good care of Napoli over ..."

As of today, Rangers have 14 players on DL.

message 26: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7759 comments Brakedrum wrote: "As of today, Rangers have 14 players on DL. ..."

Yikes! And your World Champion Red Sox are struggling to get back to .500. Oh well, keeps me from complaining about stuff that actually matters...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

We are all completely beside ourselves (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lisa Gardner (other topics)