Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > The Nightingale - Kristen Hannah 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments When I first started reading this book I thought I was going to be disappointed, that I had overdone WWII and I was saturated and probably shouldn't try to read any more books about it because I can no longer appreciate them.

I don't really even know when this book turned for me, but it was SO good. Really well told. I liked that there was a degree of suspense about who's story was being told. I don't want to give anything away (at all) but is this based on something true? Did the French resistance participate in the Nightingale type way?

Parts of this book had me sobbing. Out loud. The woman reminded me of Rose deWit Bukater from Titanic. :) LOL. Her no BS strength. Great book great characters, really well told.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It was great to see the strength of females, wasn't it?

message 3: by Nicole R (last edited Feb 23, 2016 07:00AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments It is based on actual facts! I did a little Google research when I read it and found some interesting articles. The main woman it was based on was Andrée de Jongh

message 4: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments Nicole wrote: "It is based on actual facts! I did a little Google research when I read it and found some interesting articles. The main woman it was based on was Andrée de Jongh"
Oh good! I was hoping so. What a great story!

message 5: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments Susie wrote: "It was great to see the strength of females, wasn't it?"
Amazing!

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6002 comments Okay ... you've just about convinced me that I should read this. I read another book by Hannah earlier and was not impressed, so have avoided this one despite good reviews. But if "the Nicoles" say it's good .... well, who am I to argue .....

message 7: by Ladyslott (last edited Feb 23, 2016 08:02PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Okay ... you've just about convinced me that I should read this. I read another book by Hannah earlier and was not impressed, so have avoided this one despite good reviews. But if "the Nicoles" say..."

Although I have liked many of Hannah's earlier books, this one was a bit of a change for her. This was an all nighter for me, I stayed up to 4am to finish it - and a number of tears were shed.

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I totally agree with Linda that this book was a departure from other Hannah books. Her other books I have read are more chick lot, overly emotional reads. In fact, I was hesitant to read this one because I was not a huge fan of other Hannah books but I am so glad I decided to give her another chance!

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6002 comments Okay .. "The Nicoles + Linda" = Added to TBR

message 10: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments I actually have this on my wish list on overdrive, so hopefully I will get to it. Great reviews on this one.