Great War (1914-1918): The Society and Culture of the First World War discussion

Interesting Person During Great War?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by julita (new)

julita  | 4 comments Hello everyone! Being super interested in the Great War/1920s era I am wondering if anyone would know of any challenging person/or event important to the Great War? A person/event that can create lots of reflection, deep analysis and provide thought provoking questions? I realize that what I am asking is considered a lot to look for, so thank you to anyone for bringing up any interesting novel/diary/journal/memoirs,etc as a possible read...Have a wonderful rest of your day!

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Mortensen | 68 comments Julita,

As far as a challenging person, my biography “George W. Hamilton, USMC: America’s Greatest World War I Hero” would fit the bill but I recommend it only to those with a serious interest in biographies and American history. The book is maintained in many fine libraries including Stanford Univ., and it has been used as a textbook at Elon University where I was invited to address the class. Because Hamilton died in 1922 at age 29 America never fully got to know its greatest hero in a forgotten era.

message 4: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) julita wrote: "Hello everyone! Being super interested in the Great War/1920s era I am wondering if anyone would know of any challenging person/or event important to the Great War? A person/event that can create l..."

Somebody who I think is of great interest and who's career in the Great War propelled him to great things and is consider as the 'father' of modern Turkey I would suggest reading about Kemal Ataturk. I have this book on him which I need to try and read soon:

Atatürk The Biography of the founder of Modern Turkey by Andrew Mango Atatürk: The Biography of the founder of Modern Turkey by Andrew Mango

message 5: by julita (new)

julita  | 4 comments Mark wrote: "Julita,

As far as a challenging person, my biography “George W. Hamilton, USMC: America’s Greatest World War I Hero” would fit the bill but I recommend it only to those with a serious interest in ..."

Oh wow-sounds quite interesting! To be fair, I am not super deep in the military aspect itself of World War I (although it was a war and military was key...) With that said, I suppose your own book would be a great jump into learning of something I am not entirely familiar with-Thanks so much!

message 6: by julita (last edited Mar 03, 2016 05:47PM) (new)

julita  | 4 comments KOMET wrote: "Hi Julita,

Here are some books pertaining to the Great War and the 1920s that you may find of interest. Please let me know if any of them are helpful.

1) [book:Women Heroes of World War I: 16 Rem..."

Hello KOMET, thanks for the overwhelmingly beautiful list of a variety of WWI books!
I really find myself interested in , "A Yankee Ace in the RAF: The World War I Letters of Captain Bogart Rogers by John H. Morrow". I love journals and diaries because I feel that the war can become more than just a topic- and instead a vivid picture brought on by people living through it. I have trouble finding journals and diaries of the WWI time period (and I'm not sure why...) so this book is great recommendation!!
Also thanks for recommending to me " Spies of the First World War: Under Cover for King and Kaiser " - that underworld of the spies and threats are often so coverted. What I really like about this book is that it explores the lives of the multiple spies- it had to be a key factor in demanding the direction of their lives.
Another book that you mentioned was, "Singled Out: How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After the First World War by Virginia Nicholson ". I'm really fascinated with its premise- it's a strong topic that just has to have loads of splendid information..
Thanks again for all the pleasant book suggestions!

message 7: by julita (new)

julita  | 4 comments 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "julita wrote: "Hello everyone! Being super interested in the Great War/1920s era I am wondering if anyone would know of any challenging person/or event important to the Great War? A person/event th..."

What a really interesting book! Thank you for the suggestion. I've just spent a month and half poring over the Ottoman Empire's history-so this book fits well for exploring Turkey's part in World War I, and ultimately modern Turkey itself. I think it will promise to be an absorbing read!

message 8: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Hi Julita,

I still haven't read my copy so if you beat me to it I would be interested in hearing your thoughts :)

A more recent book and somewhat smaller in size is this title:

The Young Atatürk From Ottoman Soldier to Statesman of Turkey by George W. Gawrych The Young Atatürk: From Ottoman Soldier to Statesman of Turkey by George W. Gawrych