Best Fantasy Books Subgenre Reading Challenge discussion

Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
This topic is about Pawn of Prophecy
Quest Fantasy > Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad #1) by David Eddings

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) | 94 comments Mod
Wow, never have I ever gotten so many responses on Twitter and Instagram when I've taken a picture of a book I'm about to read! A bunch of people said that they remember the particular time in their life when they read this book and the memories surrounding it. It sounds like it's had quite an impact on a lot of people. That makes me look forward to it even more.

We've got a prologue at the beginning that's like a setup of mythology with a bit of the feel of a religious text, which is interesting. There are a lot of names of important people, and the names don't sound terribly different from each other, as well as several names of lands and peoples that are introduced quickly. Although it's dense with facts, I didn't feel lost in it. I felt like this was a prologue that I could easily refer back to and use almost like a glossary, if I forget any of the names while I read the rest of the book.

Although I haven't started the first chapter yet (doing that tonight), I can already see one of the basic definitions of its subgenre, quest fantasy, shining through: the journey. Between the maps and the lands mentioned already in the prologue, plus the great amount that has already happened, albeit in the past leading up to chapter 1, I have a feeling we're going to be moving around a lot throughout the book, and definitely throughout the series as a whole.

I try never to raise my expectations too high on any book, but the amount of positive responses to reading this book specifically about the impact it had and the memories it helped build has me excited. We shall see! (Also, my version from the library is ENORMOUS, but that's because it includes half of the Belgariad series in it. Hefty!)

*This thread is dedicated to all Pawn of Prophecy discussions, and spoilers are allowed. Discussions won't be broken down by chapter, so comment as you go.*

Eldritch (starshadowe) | 4 comments This book is on my to-read list. I'm really looking forward to it!

Eldritch wrote: "This book is on my to-read list. I'm really looking forward to it!"

I've actually been meaning to update this thread for quite a while. Glad you commented on it! I'm listening to the audiobook version, and that's a mistake. I think reading it is better. I read some of it, then switched to audiobook (I'm a slow reader - I listen faster than I read!), but I really don't like the voice acting at all. Anyway, it's clearly a book that sets up the rest of the series - lots of character development and relationship development, very slowly revealing who everyone is and what part they play. We learn of characters' layers bit by bit. Finally seeing more of each character is what I like the most so far.

Okay, I finished this book a couple of days ago. I'll post a video about it tomorrow! :)