Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Popular feminist authors?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Crider I recommend bell hooks for nonfiction. Feminist theory: from margin to center is short and thoughtful without being too dense.

message 2: by Agustin (new)

Agustin | 223 comments Mary Shelley, Juana de Ibarborou, Jane Austen, and I don't know if Stephen King and Thomas Harris are actually feminists, but both of them wrote feminist-themed fiction (King wrote "Dolores Claiborne" and "Rose Madder", while Harris is the author of "The Silence of the Lambs").

message 3: by Ramona (new)

Ramona | 4 comments I suggest books by feminist art history author Dr. Mary D. Garrard an expert on the first known female artist Artemesia Gentilischi and author of many other art history books.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Kirby | 11 comments Tamora Pierce!

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 8 comments the forst name pooping up in my head is of course mary shelley! but while she was an active feminist there were other women who i think wrote about their criticism like for example jane austen or the Brontë sisters. Anne Brontë is so underrated. Both Agmes Grey and The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall held such improtant messages for that period of time. Writing abut domestic violence was considered scandalous

message 7: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 149 comments Charlotte Bronte, Caitlin Moran, Kate Chopin, and I'm blanking on the others

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Marie | 6 comments Jessica Valenti!

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace Wood | 7 comments I think a lot of pseudo-autobiography novels by celebrities nowadays has an easygoing feminist streak- Lena Dunham, Tina Fey etc. Or there's 'We Should All Be Feminists' by Chimamanda Adichie; Mary Shelley;'I am Malala...' by Malala Yousafzai.

message 10: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Susan Glaspell, Tamora Pierce, the Bronte sisters, Austen

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Hepburn | 2 comments Charlotte Perkins Gilman - Old Water . Not sure if this has already been suggested, I'm new to this!!

message 12: by Kira (new)

Kira Treveil | 3 comments Thomas Hardy's 'Far From The Madding Crowd' is a brilliant example of feminist literature that is almost 150 years old!

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleymarie1) | 9 comments Agustin wrote: "Mary Shelley, Juana de Ibarborou, Jane Austen, and I don't know if Stephen King and Thomas Harris are actually feminists, but both of them wrote feminist-themed fiction (King wrote "Dolores Claibor..."

I definitely second Rose Madder. I'm also unsure if King himself is feminist but I found this novel inspiring. If you're looking for a strong. resilient, independent female role-model in literature I would definitely recommend this book.

Another modern male author I would recommend is Dean Koontz, he has numerous strong females in his novels. The Taking and Intensity are personal favourites.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is another great, arguably feminist read. She challenges and shatters the stereotypes surrounding females in the 20th Century. I would suggest any novel by Toni Morrison. Morrison is a fierce supporter of strong women in her novels, and a beautiful writer.

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam (wiredformusic) Virginia Woolf!

message 15: by Tahseen (new)

Tahseen Sayanoh | 1 comments I'm not sure if he's a feminist or not but Sidney Sheldon does have the most fantastic inspiring heroines in his novels. Try The Stars Shine Down and Rage of Angels if you fancy giving him a try.

message 16: by Peg (new)

Peg Tittle (ptittle) | 6 comments Kira wrote: "Thomas Hardy's 'Far From The Madding Crowd' is a brilliant example of feminist literature that is almost 150 years old!"

His speech by can't-remember in Jude the Obscure was one of the reasons I avoided marriage.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I would highly recommend the author Laura Bates. I am currently reading Girl Up and I am really enjoying it. I have learned a lot and this book is making me feel a lot more confident!

message 18: by Fay (new)

Fay | 4 comments Has anyone suggested Margaret Atwood yet?

message 19: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 2 comments Margaret Atwood, bell hooks, Audre Lorde

message 20: by Caitlynd (new)

Caitlynd | 20 comments I feel like most YA authors today are feminist, to be honest. here's a couple well-known ones-
-Sarah J. Maas
-Morgan Matson
-Leigh Bardugo
-James Dashner
-Marissa Meyer

I feel as if the characters don't even have to be the opposite of girly to be a feminist-i think it's the actions and the character's beliefs that matter. What positive traits they contribute, and how that helps the society within that AU. Even how they look can be turned into a feminist character. For example, many think short people have multiple disadvantages, whether it be fighting, fitting into clothes, or the ability of other simple acts that would be a breeze for tall people? I think an amazing way to combat that would be to create a short character that can rock any sort of clothing, as long as it's fitted right! Many forget tall people can't just "fit" into everything. If that short character could take down a 6 foot man, that would definitely be a feat of feminism, demonstrating both the ability to be stragetical due to the major heigh difference, and have the strength to hold your own. Marissa Meyer especially sheds light into that idea of feminism, in my opinion:D

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Miller (rosethorn7) | 123 comments Kate Chopin and Maya Angelou are wonderful.

message 22: by Cami (new)

Cami Castle | 12 comments I know a lot about women who wrote feminist theory. You might try Monique Wittig, she was a professor of mine at the university. It is non-fiction however. She was a structural feminist and wrote a lot about the marginalization of lesbian women.

message 23: by Tatyana (new)

Tatyana | 5 comments we can read stories by Mansfield as well,I support Atwood and Kate Chopin but also Barbara Michaels!

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments Virginia Woolf, Alice Munro, Margaret Atwood, Kate Chopin.

message 25: by Victoria (new)

Victoria bell hooks, Audre Lorde, Kimberle Crenshaw, Patricia Hill Collins, Judith Butler, Betty Freidan, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Naomi Wolf.

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 13 comments Currently reading An Untamed State by Roxane Gay. (Not saying I necessarily recommend this one--will wait until I finish reading and I have spoken with Ms. Gaye about it. It is too grisly for my normal comfort level.) I read Bad Feminist and liked it. Next I will be reading her newest release, Difficult Women. This is all in preparation for meeting her on February 4. Some selections we've read for the Literary Wives online book discussion group that I would recommend: The Disobedient Wife by Annika Milisic-Stanley; and two "twisted" mysteries, A Circle of Wives by Alice LaPlante and The Silent Wife by A.S.A Harrison. Independent women!!

message 27: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 13 comments Oh, my! Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly! Just attended a presentation by her last night and now own a personally signed copy of the book. The movie was great, too! Absolutely fascinating!!

message 28: by Danica (new)

Danica Pungtilan (nicapungtilan) | 2 comments Naomi Wolf ❤️

message 29: by Izah (new)

Izah Ahmad | 2 comments Chimamanda Ngozhi Adichie to me by far is one of the most prominent feminist author out there. Americanah definitely is one of my favorite book by her

message 30: by Gerd (last edited Mar 05, 2017 04:34AM) (new)

Gerd | 428 comments I miss the usual suspects like Angela Carter and Tanith Lee.
Also, if you include Hardy I think you have to mention Henrik Ibsen, too.

message 31: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Camille Paglia!

message 32: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 14 comments Judy Blume! She's a feminist fiction writer. Some of her books are children books. But her. Young adult/ adult books have great themes in them!

message 33: by Manon (last edited Mar 06, 2017 09:29AM) (new)

Manon | 7 comments Hi there!
I have just read Daisy Sisters written by Henning Mankell and I really recommend it. I don't know if the author (who is a man) is feminist but this is definitely a feminist novel. It's really easy to read. It deals with the life of two main women (mother and daughter) and their difficulties to live as women in a country ruled by men, during and after the 2nd world war.

message 34: by Connie (new)

Connie "Popular" and "feminist" are, I think, a matter of opinion combined with what you like and what speaks to you.

As a genre, I really like gothic literature written by women. During the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, female authors like Louisa May Alcott, Edith Wharton, May Sinclair, Charlotte Perkins Gilman and Mary Wollstonecraft Shelly wrote gothic stories as a way of talking back to a society that marginalized them, their craft and their contributions to society. Their legacy was continued by more modern authors like Susan Hill, Margaret Atwood, Shirley Jackson, Anne Rice, Joyce Carol Oates, Toni Morrison...and some say Angela Carter (although I'm not really a fan)...and in the poetry of Sylvia Plath.
But if I had to pick one feminist author (or genre) to read from now on I think I'd pick the magical realism of Isabel Allende. Her feminist voice is subtle but powerful.

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Miller (rosethorn7) | 123 comments Maya Angelou is a fantastic author for this.

message 36: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 13 comments Roxane Gay, Katherine Arden, Jacqueline Winspear, Sue Grafton, and so many others! Starting The Blazing World by Siri Hustvedt and I’m sure this is going to be “feminist” in nature!