Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Feminist Books Dealing with Religious Issues

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Sage (new)

Sage also, everyone should read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 3: by Kressel (last edited Feb 23, 2016 10:25AM) (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but for Judaism, I like A Return to Modesty: Discovering the Lost Virtue by Wendy Shalit.

And if you're interested in Catholicism, try The Long Loneliness: The Autobiography of the Legendary Catholic Social Activist by Dorothy Day.

And finally, of course, from the Islamic world is I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai.

message 4: by Kressel (last edited Feb 23, 2016 10:32AM) (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Gkc3of9 wrote: "Jane Eyre by Bronte. The Privilege of Being a Woman by Alice von Hildebrand isn't what is generally called feminism, but would be a challenging book for readers here. von Hildebrand was the wife of..."

Oh my gosh. As a religious woman, I've gotten so much inspiration from this quote from Jane Eyre in my life that I once quoted it to my rabbi: “Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour ... If at my convenience I might break them, what would be their worth?”

Now I'll go check out your other recommendation.

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Thiery | 8 comments As Emma Watson was talking about with Malala, I definitely suggest you "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini !

message 6: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Sorry to be so OCD, but I just noticed the words left out of the Jane Eyre quote. And they're so pivotal to the plot!

“Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my convenience I might break them, what would be their worth?”

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria Tucci (marytucci93) | 3 comments I don't know if this is still relevant for anyone, but here are a few suggestions.

Writers from a Christian background:
The Church and the Second Sex, Mary Daly.
Beyond God the Father: Toward a Philosophy of Women's Liberation, Mary Daly.
Sexism and God Talk: Toward a Feminist Theology, Rosemary Ruether.
In Memory of Her: A Feminist Theological Reconstruction of Christian Origins, Elizabeth Schussler Fiorenza.
She Who Is: The Mystery of God in Feminist Theological Discourse, Elizabeth Johnson.

Writers from a Jewish background:
On Women and Judaism: A View From Tradition, Blu Greenberg.
Expanding the Palace of Torah: Orthodoxy and Feminism, Tamar Ross.
On Being a Jewish Feminist, Susannah Heschel ed.
Standing Again at Sinai: Judaism from a Feminist Perspective, Judith Plaskow.
Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism, Danya Ruttenberg ed.
The Receiving: Reclaiming Jewish Women's Wisdom, Tirzah Firestone.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna | 5 comments Maria wow these are great suggestions thank you so much! Do you also know any good books on Islam and feminism? Malala's book got me really into that... Thanks!

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria Tucci (marytucci93) | 3 comments I've read less on Islam and feminism, but I liked these books very much:

Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective, Amina Wadud.
"Believing Women" in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an, Asma Barlas.
Sexual Ethics And Islam: Feminist Reflections on Qur'an, Hadith, and Jurisprudence, Kecia Ali.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna | 5 comments Thank you that sounds very promising!

message 11: by Ville (last edited Apr 04, 2016 11:04PM) (new)

Ville Kokko I've happened to read a couple of feminist books dealing with Islam as well.

Women and Islam by Fatima Mernissi - both feminist and Islamic in that it defends a feminist interpretation of Islam, arguing that the sexist elements that are common with many Muslim groups are historically later in origin.

Women and Gender in Islam by Leila Ahmed - Similar in showing the historical perspective of where some things really come from, but not Islamic in the sense that it's not trying to defend Islam; not afraid to say things as they are, whether it's to criticise Islam, to say something positive about it, criticise its critics etc., without a particular agenda to defend or put down any one side.

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria Tucci (marytucci93) | 3 comments I didn't know about these. Thank you!

message 13: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments How in the world could I forget? Here's a book on women in the Bible (Old Testament only), written by my Rebbetzin: Mirrors of our lives: Reflections of women in Tanach by Holly Pavlov.

message 14: by Abbi (new)

Abbi C (planetabbi) | 3 comments One of my all time favorites: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

message 15: by Em (last edited May 29, 2016 08:36PM) (new)

Em Goodlife (ettaee) I've been wanting to read The Alphabet Vs. The Goddess.

message 16: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Stanley | 77 comments I think this is an interesting topic, because religious books tend to be inherently chauvinistic. I know there's some reverence in Catholicism for Mary, but most religions tend to be very geared towards raising the status of men and lowering the status of women.

message 17: by Noina (new)

Noina (noisynoina) | 27 comments All books by the great author Saphia Azzedine, like Confidences à Allah or Bilqiss. Not sure whether or not they're available in English though... She has very interesting views on islam and women's place in that religion.

message 18: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 3 comments Hi, I'm not sure if anyone was interested in a Pagan perspective here, but if so I'd recommend Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America- while it focuses primarily on how American paganism began, it links itself strongly with the burgeoning feminist movement of the 70s and how that impacts pagan groups today.