Play Book Tag discussion

Orphan X (Orphan X, #1)
This topic is about Orphan X
Archive: Other Books > Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5068 comments Evan Smoak was chosen in his teens to become part of a secret government program, trained to be a weapon for the government to deploy covertly. When he finally balks at an assignment, he breaks with his handlers and goes underground, and becomes the "Nowhere Man", atoning for his past by helping people in need without recompense. He is sought by only the most desperate people, and Evan's only request after a completed job is for the grateful client to find another in like circumstances for his next case.

But a job suddenly goes awry, and it becomes evident that someone is after Evan himself, and he no longer knows who to trust. Orphan O, who has the reputation of being the best of the program except for Evan himself, is gunning for him, and only one of them can survive the encounter.

I quite enjoyed this thriller, and I was intrigued by the character of Evan. It appears that this is supposed to be book 1 of a series, and I will probably give book 2 a try when it comes out. It's not the best of the genre I have come across, and normally these spy thrillers are not my favorite as it doesn't take much for a story to descend into the cheesy. With the caveat that I know nothing of the world of the military and spies and assassins and so cannot really comment on the authenticity of those aspects, this struck the right notes with me. Kind of like Jack Reacher, you just have to go along for the ride to enjoy it. I give it 3.5 stars, but would round down to 3.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments This is one of my top contenders to read for mystery-thriller in March! I think a nice, stereotypical thriller is just the ticket these days.

Did you read The Bourne Trilogy? Do I have to think that much? Because that was a lot of thinking for me....

annapi | 5068 comments I read the Bourne Identity back when I was a young'un, and have not tried the other books. Ludlum always exhausted me - I felt like I was on a roller coaster. This one doesn't make you think, at least I didn't do any thinking LOL. I just had a good ride, and if it wasn't as exciting as Ludlum, at least it wasn't as tiring.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I love that description: "if it wasn't as exciting as Ludlum, at least it wasn't as tiring." You convinced me.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Hum....my husband and I have a 2nd home about 4 hours drive from us. I am not always on the look out for audio books that both of us would enjoy (not so easy!) and that aren't really long so we can mostly listen to it on the drive.

This sounds like it could be a contender. Do you think it would be a good audio??

annapi | 5068 comments I don't do audios, so I'm not sure what would make a good one. But the story is definitely entertaining!