Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Hermione's Parents

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stenedria In the book we learn that Hermione oblivated her parents memories to keep them safe. They then left on vacation to Australia (I believe?) I want to know if she ever restored their memories after the Wizarding War. After the war, we go to the epilogue where she is now married to Ron Weasley and is the mother to their two children (Rose and Hugo). Did her parents ever know that they gained a son-in-law and grandchildren? Are they still in Australia oblivious to the knowledge that they have a daughter at all?

Keri While she was telling Harry about the steps she took to protect her parents (Ghoul in Pajamas chapter) she stated that if she survives she will find her parents and lift the spell. And that if she didn't survive she felt that her spell was good enough to keep them happy and safe. So since she survived I think we can safely assume that she went and lifted the spell. I mean, why wouldn't she. Surely she'd want to see her parents again and there would be no reason to not restore them to their previous life.

Jenna I would like to know as well. Is it even possible to restore memories? I'm guessing it's not because they would have restored Lockhart's. How would she be able to find them again, unless there is some kind of magical tracker?

message 4: by Hai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hai Jenna wrote: "I would like to know as well. Is it even possible to restore memories? I'm guessing it's not because they would have restored Lockhart's. How would she be able to find them again, unless there is some kind of magical tracker?"

She doesn't really need magic to find them. I'm sure she knows how to use FaceBook.

message 5: by Keri (last edited Feb 25, 2016 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri It seems in the HP world there are at least two different memory charms, Obliviate to erase and another to alter the memory. Lockhart was a different case, first he was erasing memories not altering them and the severity of his case was caused by a backfire from a damaged wand, not a normal memory charm. Basically, it caused brain damage which was why he was in St. Mungo's. It is obvious that it is a special case because memory charms are performed regularly within the books without requiring hospitalization. Voldemort altered his uncle's and Hokey's memories to make them believe they were responsible for the deaths in HBP and Dumbledore was able to restore them. So it seems (based on the books) that altered memories can be reversed where erased memories can not without severed damage (Betha Jorkins). From what the book says, even though the movies wrongly used the erase memories spell (Obliviate) for Hermione's parents, she just altered her parents memories. The exact quote is..."I've also MODIFIED my parents' memories so that they're convinced that they're really called Wendell and Monica Wilkins..." She didn't say Obliviate nor erased. In the book, in the cafe with the Deatheaters, Hemione said she'd never performed a memory charm (Obliviate) before. It's obvious there are two different charms at work here. Hermione modified her parents' memories she didn't erase them. Which is why she was able to state in the book that she'd go and find them and lift the enchantment.

Jenna Hai wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I would like to know as well. Is it even possible to restore memories? I'm guessing it's not because they would have restored Lockhart's. How would she be able to find them again, unl..."
The events in the books take place long before Facebook was invented. I doubt she'd want to wait so long to find them.

message 7: by Hai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hai Jenna wrote: ".The events in the books take place long before Facebook was invented. I doubt she'd want to wait so long to find them."

I'm fairly certain the Harry Potter universe takes place in the same time frame as ours. So FaceBook would exist there too.

Mysteryissolved There has been some hypothesised theories that Hermione saw how happy her parents were, and left them be.
But I'd imagine yeah she would have restored their memories.
One does wonder, Did she sort out the names? Passports? birth certificates? Did she know identity? Did the ministry make a grand gesture of trying to find?

message 9: by Filipa (new) - added it

Filipa Pereira Hai wrote: "Jenna wrote: ".The events in the books take place long before Facebook was invented. I doubt she'd want to wait so long to find them."

I'm fairly certain the Harry Potter universe takes place in t..."

The Battle of Hogwarts took place in 1998, facebook was only invented in 2004

message 10: by Hai (last edited Mar 03, 2016 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hai Filipa wrote: "The Battle of Hogwarts took place in 1998, facebook was only invented in 2004"

Aren't you being a little too specific here? My point is there are other ways to locate her parents other than magical.

Also, being that Hermione was raised as a Muggle, she'd know about all these mundane muggle things like Facebook or MySpace, while wizards who'd want to hunt down her parents would not? And wouldn't it be prudent if she DOESN'T put a magical trace on them, in case they have a spell to trace her spell?

Food for thought.

message 11: by Filipa (new) - added it

Filipa Pereira Hai wrote: "Filipa wrote: "The Battle of Hogwarts took place in 1998, facebook was only invented in 2004"

Aren't you being a little too specific here? My point is there are other ways to locate her parents ot..."

She wouldn't know about those things because they didn't exist.
But I do agree that she would have some advantage tracing her parents because she would know a bit more about the muglle world and because she probably knew her parents better than anyone else.

message 13: by Mysteryissolved (last edited Apr 27, 2016 12:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mysteryissolved There is still the fact the technology was still advancing in the time period that is the aftermath of the Battle of Hogwarts. She would not only have magical assistance that the ministry would be throwing at her direction for being in the 'Golden trio', but also Muggle police and investigators, because Hermione seemed to have only obliviated her parents, not family members, nor fellow residents, friends and clients. So search parties would theoretically take place.

Julia Jenna wrote: "I would like to know as well. Is it even possible to restore memories? I'm guessing it's not because they would have restored Lockhart's. How would she be able to find them again, unless there is s..."

Keep in mind Lockhart was using a damaged wand. He was not merely someone with a new identity, but a damaged person who could not function in society. Hermione's parents, however, were just given a new identity.