Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Wonderful "O" by James Thurber 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 91 comments I got about half way through this delightful volume before I gave in and started to read it aloud to my cats. I don't know whether they appreciated it or not but it certainly enhanced my reading experience. If you love words and language you should love this tale of pirates(?) who are willing to subjugate an entire peaceful island civilization in search of some jewels. Their method of oppression? Outlawing any word, or item, that contains the letter o. I pondered whether this was actually a political novel that was examining the same phenomena that Orwell introduced in 1984 with the concept of "newspeak". If you can't express a concept in words you can't think it either. And maybe Littlejack and Black represented totalitarian governments everywhere. Or maybe I was overthinking the whole thing. Yeah, probably that.

message 2: by Cora (last edited Feb 22, 2016 08:09PM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1316 comments You know you have young kids when you read a book review and realize that it is similar to a sesame street skit (there was one where a king outlawed the letter "P" I think).

Ha! I found it: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/The_King...

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I read 13 Clocks and really liked it. This one sounds great too.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments Kate wrote: "I got about half way through this delightful volume before I gave in and started to read it aloud to my cats. I don't know whether they appreciated it or not but it certainly enhanced my reading ex..."

Your review without any words with "o" in it:
I half way this delightful I gave in and started read it my cats. I whether they appreciated it but it certainly enhanced my reading experience. If and language this tale pirates(?) are willing subjugate an entire peaceful island civilization in search jewels. Their ? any item, that the letter. I whether this was actually a that was examining the same that in 1984 with the "newspeak". If can't express a in can't think it either. And maybe Littlejack and Black represented everywhere. maybe I was the thing. Yeah, that.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments An "adult" version of this kind of restriction is wonderfullly expressed in Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate | 91 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Kate wrote: "I got about half way through this delightful volume before I gave in and started to read it aloud to my cats. I don't know whether they appreciated it or not but it certainly enhanced ..."

One more glass of wine and that's probably how the review would have read anyway.

message 7: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I liked this one and really enjoyed his The 13 Clocks both of which are on the 1001 Book list. I really like the library edition of his books, they are so fun. I also thought that Ella Minnow Pea reminded me of the The Wonderful O.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments Kate wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Kate wrote: "One more glass of wine and that's probably how the review would have read anyway...."

R T F L (can't use the "o")