#readwomen discussion

I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
This topic is about I Am Malala
Spoiler Alert! > I Am Malala

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:18PM) (new)

post all of your SPOILER-FILLED thoughts about i am malala, the february '16 book club read, here.

continue reading at your own risk. *police sirens*

Clyo (Las Páginas de Alex) (paginasdealex) | 4 comments I wasn't expecting to be caught up on a politics class. And yet, I was so intrigued by the writing that I even made research of my own. It was a real eye - opener for me.

I enjoyed every page of this book. It got me moved, sad, happy, worried, and most important it got me thinking 'what can I do to help?' . Personally, I think this should become a must in all schools, I already requested they buy a copy for my university's library.

I'm going to agree with you ^, the last part was a little chaotic, but I suppose that I can't blame her since I become pointless after a simple cough syrup.

I wrote a full review for the book, and I'll make a video review for my channel soon. I just want to thank you, Manda. Because I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise, I kept pushing it in favour of other books.

Ashley Marie Clyo wrote: "I wasn't expecting to be caught up on a politics class. And yet, I was so intrigued by the writing that I even made research of my own. It was a real eye - opener for me.

I enjoyed every page of this book. It got me moved, sad, happy, worried, and most important it got me thinking 'what can I do to help?' . Personally, I think this should become a must in all schools, I already requested they buy a copy for my university's library."

Same!! I'm still not finished yet, around the halfway point and they've just now gotten back to their town after the Taliban chased everyone out, but this REALLY makes me want to delve into Middle Eastern history and learn everything I can about their culture and how it has lasted for so long when the country of Pakistan itself has only been in existence since the 1940s. And that goes for the whole region of the Middle East.

Alexandra (afsybo) | 2 comments I am loving the book so far. I've learned so much already and I have so much respect for Malala.

For those of us in the United States, National Geographic Channel will be airing the documentary "He Named Me Malala" on Feb. 29th at 8pm! Here is a link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzOSI...

Ashley Marie Alexandra wrote: "I am loving the book so far. I've learned so much already and I have so much respect for Malala.

For those of us in the United States, National Geographic Channel will be airing the documentary "H..."

Thanks for that! I'll have to see if it goes to Hulu after it airs.

Clyo (Las Páginas de Alex) (paginasdealex) | 4 comments Alexandra wrote: "I am loving the book so far. I've learned so much already and I have so much respect for Malala.

For those of us in the United States, National Geographic Channel will be airing the documentary "H..."

Thank you! I'm from Mexico, but I believe it won't be long here afer that.

Meaghan Don't forget too, she also might have some PTSD from that time as well. Her parents weren't immediately available to her and was unconscious part of the time. If I remember correctly she semi remembers bits and pieces but not enough to have a full recollection. She had to get testimony from everyone around her. When I heard the news that she had been shot in the head, I thought of two possible outcomes (and never thought of the third due to personal experience with brain injuries). Just to know that Malala is still Malala is reassuring to her family and her fans across the world. And yes, this book should be in schools.

Ashley Marie Review is up!

Tamara (tamarasan) | 6 comments I really enjoyed reading this book. I am a huge history nerd, but for some reason have never delved into a lot of more modern Middle Eastern history. I am looking to change that now!

Ashley Marie Same here, Tamara. Middle Eastern history, European history, even East Asian history all feel foreign to me. Must fix this!