Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Sex in PNR series..Do you love it or leave it?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments sex is fine if it's not just a filler. i want romantic sex.

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise | 9 comments ahh.. i just deleted my post by accident! LOL!~ going to re-post! Thanks so much for your input! I agree that it has to be romantic!

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise | 9 comments I'd love to hear your opinions. I feel like sex scenes can sometimes be uncomfortable to get through, depending on the writing. I prefer romance and truly intimate moments. I love those glimpses throughout a book of real intimacy. Romantic sex is the only sex I can read. Do you guys agree, or do you like any sex?

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Rosa (veronicadelrosa) I actually skip over most sex scenes. I'll read the first one that happens, especially if there had been a lot of sexual tension and not just them falling into insta-lust.

I've become very jaded with the amount of sex in PNR books. Some days it feels like I'm reading erotica instead of romance.

message 5: by KiBo (new)

KiBo | 30 comments I need at least one good sex scene in every book I read. But I hate repetitive sex scenes that feel like they are cut and pasted. Sex should be creative and original. :-)

message 6: by Lisa264544 (new)

Lisa264544 | 46 comments Scenes in which the MC make love is a must as long as they don't go on and on and on in excruciating detail every other chapter. I also prefer there be an emotional connection; sex as just a hook up for the MC in the beginning is not sexy to me at all.

Kimberly / Love Notes Book Blog (picklechic) | 25 comments I like it. It shows the connection between the hero and heroine to me. Otherwise I consider it UF instead of PNR and I don't really like UF for the most part.

message 8: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) I skip almost all the sex nowadays...unless there is some serious heat building up along with serious intentions - no insta-lust, no casual sex. I'm done with stories where the plot is only there to link the sex scenes. I am still pissed about one of my very favorite rock star books where the story became second or third to the sex!

message 9: by Luna (new)

Luna Harlow Most sex scenes I read in fiction feel like I've read them before in a million books, so I just skim them now.

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise | 9 comments Thank you everyone! I wasn't expecting as many people to be on the same page as me! To hold my interest the tension between the MC has to be authentic and passionate. I want it to feel like it's an experience that I can relate to. There's a huge difference between romance/passion and raunchy sex. As women, we know that lovemaking and sex are on two different levels. Sex is not always an intimate act but lovemaking is - or IMO, should be. After reading the sex scenes in a PNR book I want to feel like I know the MC even more. I definitely do not want to lose respect for either one or feel like it was fake.

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise | 9 comments Cindi wrote: "I skip almost all the sex nowadays...unless there is some serious heat building up along with serious intentions - no insta-lust, no casual sex. I'm done with stories where the plot is only there t..."

You're so right! Ughh..I'd be pissed too if that happened in one of my favorites! May I ask which book??

message 12: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) Denise wrote: "Cindi wrote: "I skip almost all the sex nowadays...unless there is some serious heat building up along with serious intentions - no insta-lust, no casual sex. I'm done with stories where the plot i..."
Olivia Cunning Wicked Beat (Sinners on Tour, #4) by Olivia Cunning and Sinners at the Altar (Sinners on Tour, #6) by Olivia Cunning , which I never even finished...all the other Sinners books I gave 5 stars tho. Am not even trying any of her others now :(

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Rosa (veronicadelrosa) When I'd read New Species, I'd enjoyed them for the most part, but I almost rolled my eyes out of my head with all the sex. At one point, I actually put my kindle down and started swearing because I thought they'd finally finished, but nope, they had sex again! In a 24 hour period, they had sex 6 times. It was too much for me.

I think that's why I only have one sex scene per book. I now have an aversion to them.

message 14: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (rsb1105) | 8 comments I don't mind it. But I prefer if there's not a lot of details. I've got a very vivid imagination!

message 15: by Bookish (new)

Bookish | 1 comments Hate it, usually skip it.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments I guess I'm the odd person out. I really enjoy the sex scenes. I especially enjoy the hot and steamy ones. To me it makes the relationship more three dimensional. I like the intimacy, two people sharing what they share with nobody else.

message 17: by Denise (new)

Denise | 9 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I guess I'm the odd person out. I really enjoy the sex scenes. I especially enjoy the hot and steamy ones. To me it makes the relationship more three dimensional. I like the intimacy, two people sh..."

Aww…it's okay to be the odd person out! Lol! I understand what you're saying. I know a lot of people that agree with you. It's not that I'm a prude…I just can't get behind the scenes that are raunchy. I think it largely depends on the writing.

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Said it before and I'll say it again: there's no point in reading a book if there isn't at least SOME sex in it. That's my motto and I'm stickin' to it ;)

message 19: by G.A. (last edited Feb 24, 2016 02:28PM) (new)

G.A. Stratton | 5 comments Sex is part of life. I expect some in a romance but it has to be relevant to the story line. Two characters' expression of love, etc. Sex for the sake of sex is more erotica and appeals to a different reader.

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments I guess, like everything else, it's a matter of preference. I know that some of my friends don't care for paranormal. That blows my mind. I love it all, from vampires to shifters to fay. On the other hand, I don't care for Zombie stuff, and I have some friends who love it. So I guess it's not a surprise that sex in literature is no different. Some like it and some don't. I know some of my friends and family like sex scenes but freak out if it's homosexual. That doesn't bother me a bit, but you can't judge other peoples likes and dislikes. Live and let live, that's my motto.

message 21: by R.D. (new)

R.D. (rdvallier) I like it if it moves the story forward or deepens the character/relationships. Otherwise it just reads like filler to me that I have read a million times before. :/

message 22: by Saoirce (new)

Saoirce | 1 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I guess I'm the odd person out. I really enjoy the sex scenes. I especially enjoy the hot and steamy ones. To me it makes the relationship more three dimensional. I like the intimacy, two people sh..."

I'm with you. I like the idea of the sex scenes in a story as much as I enjoy the conflicts & humor in the story. Makes the whole story seem more realistic & earthy. As we all know, not all sex scenes are rose petals & champagne nor should they be. It also adds a level of excitement for that couple, knowing they have those moments where they can't stay away from one another & have formed such an intimate connection. As part of a happy couple myself, I can relate on a certain level.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Lynn. It's nice to have a kindred soul:) I hope you enjoy the conversations here as much as I have.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I enjoy it if it makes sense - I hate insta-love or instant action, it has to have the right buildup and then not take over the storyline to where that's only what exists. Then it just gets silly and boring.

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz Meldon (liz_meldon) | 17 comments I think it depends what kind of romance is happening and where the feel of the series is going for me. Sometimes I like that the two start as sex buddies that blossom into something more, other times it feels better and more "right" that there is a big lead-up to a really charged and intimate encounter. I like 'em both. I'm not a fan of repetition though and will absolutely skim a sex scene that I feel like I just read a chapter or two before.

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Erin and Liz. This is a great place for discussions and advice on authors and series. I hope you enjoy it here.

message 27: by Steelwhisper (new)

Steelwhisper | 140 comments I enjoy sex scenes, if they are well-written, not the stereotypical fare, and if there are not too many of them (3-4 are fine). If the story has a couple I expect them.

message 28: by Xeey (new)

Xeey (bookzeey) | 3 comments Im all onboard the sex train!

It's also mood dependent sometimes..

I think it also has to do with the author and the books itself. Like I know there wont be any steamy stuff in the Kate Daniels books, but I still adore the series. I wish there was more sexy times , yes, but it's something I made peace with ages ago. Nalini Singh and her books are slightly more sex open and I enjoy them for the what that they bring.

On the other end of the spectrum, one of my fav series and something super popular in the pnr world, had steamy steeeaaamy sex scenes and as the books progressed, that was the only good thing about them. Like the last few books,now I just skip directly to the sex scenes when I want to read about one of my fav couples without reading the sorry mess the author makes of the actual series.

Yea... I think it's pretty clear I'm a shameless smutoholic..¯\_(ツ)_/¯

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Steelwhisper and Zuray. I hope you find the conversations here as fun as I have. I've also gotten great advice on authors and series.

message 30: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Abbott | 14 comments I enjoy them if they are well written and not too repetitious. The worst thing is when the author loses all sense of the ridiculous and makes me laugh. Just a few ill-chosen words can do it.

A really good sex scene is hard to pull off but when it works, it makes me feel closer to the characters and understand them better. It's important that there is also an actual story, though, and that the sex moves that story along rather than feeling like an interruption.

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Fiona. I agree in general. However, there are times when playfulness during a sex scene can be funny and work well. But I agree it's very hard to pull off. I you just laugh because it's ridiculous than it does ruin the whole scene.

message 32: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments I rather expect to read sex scenes in PNR since sex is a part of a relationship. I have a problem with scenes that go on (and on and on) for pages. Those I tend to skim to see where the scene is over and the plot picks up again. I really don't care for gratuitous sex scenes. The scenes should advance character/relationship development instead of being extraneous.

message 33: by Cara (new)

Cara | 2 comments If I'm reading a romance of whatever genre I'm expecting some sex scenes and would probably feel cheated if there aren't any. But I agree that they should advance the relationship and give the reader insight into the characters. If there are just pages of sex for the sake of it I generally find myself skipping large sections. In a PNR book I also want an exciting plot, suspense and some action as well as the romance and steamy sex!

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Sandra and Cara.

message 35: by A (new)

A | 66 comments I agree with many other people- I think the scenes need to be part of the story, not take over the whole story.

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Amoreena. What a beautiful name. I hope you enjoy it here.

message 37: by Denise (new)

Denise | 9 comments Cindi wrote: "Denise wrote: "Cindi wrote: "I skip almost all the sex nowadays...unless there is some serious heat building up along with serious intentions - no insta-lust, no casual sex. I'm done with stories w..."

I haven't read these, but I now know that I won't be! Ha! Thanks!

message 38: by Denise (new)

Denise | 9 comments I am so glad that so many people openly submitted their input here. Thank you to everyone!

message 39: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Carabella (jdcarabella) | 38 comments I like a plot - if the sex is the plot, that can be fun. Sex can be used for some serious character development and growth. If sex is not appropriate to the plot, I'm ok with that too - I like to be able share books that I'm reading with my kids sometimes ;)
I don't like fade to black though - if there's going to be sex, lets have it. I hate books that feel like they've been cleaned up and purified and nothing ever happens.
But I also agree on cliche sex scenes - I hate the word core now. Feels like the starship engine is going to overheat.

message 40: by T.A. (new)

T.A. White | 2 comments It has to fit in with the plot. Usually I need to have the author build suspense or for it to further character development. Not a big fan when it's on every other page. I tend to start skimming at that point.

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome T.A. It's nice to see new people. I'm amazed, and pleased, at how many book lovers are out there. I've always loved books, but it seems lately that electronics have taken over. I'm so glad to see that reading is still loved by so many.

message 42: by Aliya (new)

Aliya DalRae | 28 comments I like the sex scenes, but as many have said, it's best when it progresses the story. I especially like when there is a lot of build up before the MC actually get together, and then BOOM! Fireworks! I love that!

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Aliya. I agree, I love the fireworks:)

message 44: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Mathers (georgiacartermathers) | 45 comments I definitely love sex scenes, but they have to be written well, and they have to be there for a good reason. Generally, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth if there is one sex scene after the next or the reader is treated to casual sex at the beginning (usually to show the character is sexually liberated). Once I did a review for a PNR, and I said there was too much sex. I was virtually called a prude for that. To me, sexual liberation is owning your sexual identity, knowing what you like, what you don't and acting on that with intimacy. Too much sex just gets monotonous and casual sex just shows that the character doesn't care who they do it with; they view love itself as just an add-on. Well, sorry for the long post, but perhaps this is just something I had to get off my chest.

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Georgia. I like your post. And it's great that we can all find literature that speaks to us. I'm grateful that we have an abundance of talented authors in all kinds of genre.

message 46: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Mathers (georgiacartermathers) | 45 comments :) Thanks for the welcome, Elizabeth. Yes, we all like different reads--and yes, there is a lot of wonderful talent around.

message 47: by Kate (new)

Kate Bigel (goodreadscomkate_bigel) | 10 comments This is a fascinating comment thread. Sex is like everything in a good book - if it helps serve the plot and make you understand the characters - it's great. I think how the romantic leads have sex really helps define the characters. Men who seemed all alpha have a chance to show their tender side and women who hadn't a chance to show their depth can show passion and strength in sex scenes. That being said - perhaps after 10 years of increasing explicit sex in romance and paranormal - maybe it's been pushed as a must and authors are including it without considering their plot or characters. I love a good naughty story but I have to admit in my favorite paranormal novel, I might skim a bit because I want to get back to the story.... I recently wrote some sex scenes in a story and played with changing words etc to ratchet it up and ratchet it down. Very interesting. What we don't want it to go back to the early Harlequin days of silly euphemisms...part of romance is a good healthy sex scene!

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments I also like that in the books with magic sex is a source of power (both white and black magic). It adds an additional layer to the theme.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sbransley) | 12 comments Kate wrote: "This is a fascinating comment thread. Sex is like everything in a good book - if it helps serve the plot and make you understand the characters - it's great. I think how the romantic leads have sex..."

You explained it pretty much exactly how I feel. Sex is part of life and I don't think it should be excluded from stories, especially if it enhances the characters or plot in some way.

message 50: by Amiya (new)

Amiya Powell | 9 comments Kate wrote: "This is a fascinating comment thread. Sex is like everything in a good book - if it helps serve the plot and make you understand the characters - it's great. I think how the romantic leads have sex..."

Totally agree w/ Kate and Sarah. When the sex scenes give you deeper insight into the characters, it is divine. My problem with a lot of erotic fiction is that the sex scenes often seem forced, and disconnect me from the story.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wicked Beat (other topics)
Sinners at the Altar (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Olivia Cunning (other topics)