Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > On The Erasure of People Of Colour From Dystopian Fiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paganalexandria  | 4060 comments I normally don't read a lot of Sci/Fi or dystopian themes, so had no idea this is a thing until that Noah movie "thing" went viral. BattyMazelle wrote an interesting post about the subject, and thought the group might appreciate it.

http://battymamzelle.blogspot.com/201...

message 2: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Apr 29, 2014 05:51PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Thanks Pagan for sharing this. That was an excellent article. One that I couldn't agree with more. I'm glad the author took the time to write that article.

One thing that bothers me, is that it's so difficult to find a series with multicultural characters in stores such as Barnes and Noble etc. That's why I'm thankful for this group, and other groups such as this one. MC characters just don't get the same amount of hype, and I'd never hear of such books if not for the members here- especially in the sci-fi genre.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments The interesting thing is black authors have been crafting dystopian fiction long before anyone had ever heard of The Hunger Games. There's a famous play centered around the sudden disappearance of all the black people (this plot device was later made into the film 'A Day Without A Mexican') in which whites are thrown into a panic when "their negroes" have suddenly disappeared without a trace. Octavia Butler's Parable series predates Suzanne Collins by at least ten years.

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina | 8 comments Interesting article Pagan and really quite timely. They just released the cast photos of the new Star Wars movie. After months of speculation and all kinds of casting names being thrown out there (including the names of several AA women, Lupita included), the actual cast is basically all white guys with ONE black guy. The Black Nerd squad on twitter is very upset.

I agree with Michelle, that is why I like this group and hunt out blogs that are dedicated to diversity in fic & lit.

BTW, if you are looking for SFF/Fantasy for younger set (10-14 y.o), my kid tells me that the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan feature Af-Am biracial siblings as the main heroic characters. Nice surprise, actually.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments Very true. Groups like this have made me frustrated wanting to make more people aware of a whole sub genre out there. I started a blog to promote the talent. Www.Worldsofcolor.WordPress.com I hope you'll stop and share your thoughts.

Paganalexandria  | 4060 comments Like I mentioned, I've read maybe one real sci-fi book my whole life, so never thought much of it, and seeing dystopian in the blurb is enough to make me pass up on a book. That being said, there is something very frightening about people writing these end of the world tomes only wanting white people around at the end. It makes me think they are subtly promoting a race war agenda. Which would be the only logical reason that there are only white faces in their imagined landscape.

message 7: by The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (last edited Apr 30, 2014 08:13AM) (new)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 1215 comments Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: "Like I mentioned, I've read maybe one real sci-fi book my whole life, so never thought much of it, and seeing dystopian in the blurb is enough to make me pass up on a book. That being said, there i..."

Interesting thought. I personally think it's that "white as default" mentality that is so pervasive in our media. The white character as stand-in for the whole of mankind. NOT! I bet if you asked any of those dystopian authors as to their lack of character diversity, they'll pretty much say the same thing. Or worse, they never "thought about it".

Look at the fuckwittery that exploded when some ignorant cretins thought Rue of The Hunger Games was white (even though in the book she is explicity black. And Katniss herself had an olive complexion. But we see the same nonsense being perpetuated in a lot of the popular urban fantasy books. Who could be more of a whitewash than J.R. Ward who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to mis-appropriate aspects of Black culture without diversifying the world she's created. From what I've heard, she made an utter cock-up (sorry, just finished a Prime Suspect marathon, lol) of the one gay main character she had, so maybe it's best that she not write characters of color.

message 8: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Andrea wrote: "Very true. Groups like this have made me frustrated wanting to make more people aware of a whole sub genre out there. I started a blog to promote the talent. Www.Worldsofcolor.WordPress.com I hope ..."

Thanks for the link Andrea. I'll go check it out.

message 9: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Apr 30, 2014 07:24PM) (new)

Ladies, your posts have definitely given me something to think about. I'm currently reading Shockball (Stardoc, #4) by S.L. Viehl . I was excited to get back to this series after such a long break. I'm enjoying getting back into the characters, and world building etc. However, I'm reading it in a whole new, very interesting light.

message 10: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Andrea wrote: "Very true. Groups like this have made me frustrated wanting to make more people aware of a whole sub genre out there. I started a blog to promote the talent. Www.Worldsofcolor.WordPress.com I hope ..."

Started following your blog. I'm loving the goodie info on there. Keep an eye on your inbox. Going to drop you a message. :-)

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments Excellent, Caligirlrae.

message 12: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments Your blog is awesome. I started following. I do author interviews at Smart Girls Love Sci Fi & I would love more diverse entries. I'm trying to get as many people as I can. We only do SF & paranormal romances, rather than general spec fic. I think the blog owner is going to open up to new submissions for review soon (temp closed for backlog). Site: (http://smartgirlsscifi.wordpress.com).

Also, I review for the SF Romance Quarterly and I want, want, want, a SF romance with heroes & heroines of color. (scifiromancequarterly.org)

I'll be watching your blog closely.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments Great info MrsBookmark. Ill be following your blog too.

message 14: by Elle (new)

Elle Rush (ellerush) | 24 comments Thanks for that link. It was a very well-written and thought-provoking article. I'm glad to see it's being spread far and wide.

I wasn't impressed with the Star Wars news either :( Come on, Hollywood.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting thread, Im just tuning into it :)